Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Big brake kits and wheels... updated list

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
The documentation with the kit doesn't indicate it as a supported setup, but infinite streams fit fine with the JCW BBK. Not sure why it's not listed, since I believe you can order the JCW with these wheels. The tab on the pads is quite close to the wheel. The 16" Bridgespokes don't seem to fit (unsurprisingly).

--Matt

Old 06-21-2013, 05:32 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Got the answer in page 7 of this thread per photo provided...7 lbs vs 2008 Clubman OEM...should be more difference in R53 non-JCW.

Does anybody know the weight difference between:
A. R53 non-JCW stock rotor/ Caliper
B. Wilwood 12.2" BBK

Last edited by ED955S; 06-21-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: answer in page 7
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
The only real difference will be the weight of the smaller rotor. The calipers will be about the same be the stock setups.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Volk SE37K with 8mm spacers on Stoptech BBK

Old 06-22-2013, 07:25 AM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You're right, the R53 non-JCW has smaller rotor, weight variance vs Willwood will be LESS than '08 Clubman vs Willwood. I guess, my orig question will remain. Someone has to have measured this at one time.

Originally Posted by Eddie07S
The only real difference will be the weight of the smaller rotor. The calipers will be about the same be the stock setups.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 AM
BLK-MCS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the AP Racing 330mm fit the R112 rim>?

IF spacers are needed, what size?

Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 AM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Will Wilwood BBK fit oem 16" R119 or will I need spacers?

Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI4LYF
Will Wilwood BBK fit oem 16" R119 or will I need spacers?

Diameter wise; yes.

For spoke clearance however you'd do well to check the PDF and see page 3.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 AM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:23 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by toddtce

Diameter wise; yes.

For spoke clearance however you'd do well to check the PDF and see page 3.
Thank you!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
tomy
1st Gear
Hello everyone, a crazy question for all you, I have found in very good price a brake set from r56 challenge car (ap racing calipers and discs) and I have been tempted to install it in my car! Do you thing you that is feasible or realistic?
I have also found the kw coilovers from the challenge cars, I have a dream to make my car a challenge replica..
Thank you all in advance.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:39 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by tomy
Hello everyone, a crazy question for all you, I have found in very good price a brake set from r56 challenge car (ap racing calipers and discs) and I have been tempted to install it in my car! Do you thing you that is feasible or realistic?
I have also found the kw coilovers from the challenge cars, I have a dream to make my car a challenge replica..
Thank you all in advance.

Welly tomy..since we don't know what you are driving or fitting it too that's hard to answer. We'll assume you drive a MINI, maybe an R53-56, and not a Chevy pickup.

If you have any of the basic R50-56 platforms (admit I'm not up on all MINI jargon) I don't see any issues. If you drive a Countryman then; no.

The couple of things you "might" have issue with are:

Stud size; the older cars had M12 studs. If you have M14 holes you'll need to have them drilled out in the hats.

Caliper piston area: assuming the Challenge car used only the stock bore single master cylinder you'll be fin. If they ran a dual cylinder race set up you won't make this work to easy.

Wheel fit; given the size of some AP calipers and thicker race pads (and wider rotors) you can be pretty certain you'll need wheel spacers. They could be incorporated into the hats now but I doubt it. Wheel fit will be based on both the diameter and spoke design. Spoke clearance is the usual thing to get past for spacers.

Pads; you'll want to be sure you get street pads with the set up or you'll destroy the rotors and pads quickly.

Condition; hard to say what you are getting..but it's used. And I'd look at rotor width, pad life and possibly a caliper rebuild kit if they have extensive track use.

Cost; as used parts you should expect to pay roughly 1/2 of new. If the rotors are new, pads new, extra parts, calipers serviced (proof) or such the cost could be a bit more. But they're still used. If you get yourself upwards of $1000 into this here you may want to explore new options as well and see if your deal is as good as you think.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 PM
tomy
1st Gear
Welly tomy..since we don't know what you are driving or fitting it too that's hard to answer. We'll assume you drive a MINI, maybe an R53-56, and not a Chevy pickup.

If you have any of the basic R50-56 platforms (admit I'm not up on all MINI jargon) I don't see any issues. If you drive a Countryman then; no.

The couple of things you "might" have issue with are:

Stud size; the older cars had M12 studs. If you have M14 holes you'll need to have them drilled out in the hats.

Caliper piston area: assuming the Challenge car used only the stock bore single master cylinder you'll be fin. If they ran a dual cylinder race set up you won't make this work to easy.

Wheel fit; given the size of some AP calipers and thicker race pads (and wider rotors) you can be pretty certain you'll need wheel spacers. They could be incorporated into the hats now but I doubt it. Wheel fit will be based on both the diameter and spoke design. Spoke clearance is the usual thing to get past for spacers.

Pads; you'll want to be sure you get street pads with the set up or you'll destroy the rotors and pads quickly.

Condition; hard to say what you are getting..but it's used. And I'd look at rotor width, pad life and possibly a caliper rebuild kit if they have extensive track use.

Cost; as used parts you should expect to pay roughly 1/2 of new. If the rotors are new, pads new, extra parts, calipers serviced (proof) or such the cost could be a bit more. But they're still used. If you get yourself upwards of $1000 into this here you may want to explore new options as well and see if your deal is as good as you think.
Sorry my bad, I own a 2007 r56 cooper S. Everything is new, it was to be spare parts for the challenge cars. It's that brake kit http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=34&fg=95 with spacers etc except the pads (will be replaced from the road spec pads of ap racing). The wheels in my car is the R112 in 17inch. The challenge cars wheels is half inch wider and with different et from mine (40 the challenge, 42 mine).
The total cost of the brake kit, for all parts brand new, estimated to be less than 1000 euro.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:28 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
About $1350 and all new seems a good price for new parts, no complaints there.

Wheel fit will remain you big question. You can see they use/offer/supply a wheel spacer. And despite the wheel offset being different that alone won't tell you all you need to know.

The shape of the spokes will dictate what will clear and not. If both 17" that means it fits for the diameter. It's the amount of clearance you require to the spoke that will dictate how thick the wheel spacer will need to be. *And keep in mind ANY wheel spacer will require longer studs or longer bolts.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 AM
tomy
1st Gear
About $1350 and all new seems a good price for new parts, no complaints there.

Wheel fit will remain you big question. You can see they use/offer/supply a wheel spacer. And despite the wheel offset being different that alone won't tell you all you need to know.

The shape of the spokes will dictate what will clear and not. If both 17" that means it fits for the diameter. It's the amount of clearance you require to the spoke that will dictate how thick the wheel spacer will need to be. *And keep in mind ANY wheel spacer will require longer studs or longer bolts.
Ok, thank you very much for your help, I will keep it all in mind..

Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Angryriican66
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is the list of wheels that Mini has approved for the JCW 17" Sport Brake kit, these seams to vary by year which is why there is such vague info out there, in my case I was ready to buy new wheels but it turns out the R121 Conical spoke wheels are compatible making my life sooooo much easier

Name:  53880E30-9F47-4FBC-86CA-457F6AF44CF6-2041-0000006B1B4B4AD2_zps6399f528.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  67.8 KB

Old 11-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I have finally had a chance to try the MINI 6-star twin spoke 16" wheels with the Wilwood 12.2" BBK. While I could get them on, there was only about a half a mm clearance. Definitely needs a spacer. A 5mm works fine. Remember the longer wheel bolts.

Just FYI - the Bridgespokes fit fine over these brakes.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
DSC Reprogramming required with a BBK?????

Originally Posted by Angryriican66
here is the list of wheels that Mini has approved for the JCW 17" Sport Brake kit, these seams to vary by year which is why there is such vague info out there, in my case I was ready to buy new wheels but it turns out the R121 Conical spoke wheels are compatible making my life sooooo much easier

H

I find the text in the Consumer Information very interesting. It says that the DSC is reprogrammed with the addition of the JCW sport brakes. I wonder if this is done for the DTC as well and has anyone done this when they have installed a BBK? I am mostly interested in this for the eLSD that stays on after the traction control is disabled.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
I find the text in the Consumer Information very interesting. It says that the DSC is reprogrammed with the addition of the JCW sport brakes. I wonder if this is done for the DTC as well and has anyone done this when they have installed a BBK? I am mostly interested in this for the eLSD that stays on after the traction control is disabled.
I definitely feel as though the eLSD is more effective with the JCW BBK that I have installed presently than it was with the Wilwood setup that I was running last year. It was noticeably less effective with the Wilwood setup vs stock, and has a more stock-like demeanor now.

--Matt

Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Did you have the DSC reprogrammed with the install of the JCW brakes?

Last edited by Eddie07S; 12-05-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-05-2013, 10:14 PM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Will r99's fit with the tce plus 3, 13" rotor with willwood calipers?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Did you have the DSC reprogrammed with the install of the JCW brakes?
Yep, got the full procedure.

I'm fairly convinced that the difference in behavior can't be attributed entirely to the more stock-like demeanor (initial bite, etc.) of the stock JCW pads, since the Front EBC Yellow/Rear EBC Read on all stock caliper setup that I had prior to replacing the fronts with the Wilwood kit still had reasonably stock-like eLSD behavior.

--Matt

Old 12-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mattkosem
Yep, got the full procedure.

I'm fairly convinced that the difference in behavior can't be attributed entirely to the more stock-like demeanor (initial bite, etc.) of the stock JCW pads, since the Front EBC Yellow/Rear EBC Read on all stock caliper setup that I had prior to replacing the fronts with the Wilwood kit still had reasonably stock-like eLSD behavior.

--Matt
Matt,
If I had to guess, I would say that you at least drive aggressively. Have you ever track either of setups? Your experience if you have...?

I talked to my SA about doing this on my car with the Wilwoods. He said that he would need to check. I'll post what he comes up with.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Matt,
If I had to guess, I would say that you at least drive aggressively. Have you ever track either of setups? Your experience if you have...?

I talked to my SA about doing this on my car with the Wilwoods. He said that he would need to check. I'll post what he comes up with.
Well, to be expect, my SA says that because the DSC upgrade was designed for the JCW brakes and may be incompatable with the Wilwoods, they can't/won't do the up grade.

FWIW - everything except the eLSD seems to work fine with the Wilwood. The ABS, traction control and stability control all seem to work as well as they should - "tested" them on the track. The eLSD doesn't seem to get enough "bit" with these brakes. It is almost like an open differential.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:32 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Matt,

I'd say so yes. This car hasn't been on any tracks quite yet, and won't until the warranty is up. I'm a bit nervous about the front caliper pistons under high temps, but I'll cross that bridge when (and if) I come to it.

Well, to be expect, my SA says that because the DSC upgrade was designed for the JCW brakes and may be incompatable with the Wilwoods, they can't/won't do the up grade.

FWIW - everything except the eLSD seems to work fine with the Wilwood. The ABS, traction control and stability control all seem to work as well as they should - "tested" them on the track. The eLSD doesn't seem to get enough "bit" with these brakes. It is almost like an open differential.
Is the adaptation for the rotors something that you can do yourself (ie. an adjustment rather than a flash)? I noticed the pretty much the same behavior you're mentioning with the Wilwoods as well. The eLSD wasn't working very well at all. The ABS definitely works properly, but I'd say the TCS doesn't intervene quite so gracefully as it does now. With it on, rather than running into situations where it would gently cut down on spin like it does now, I seemed to much more frequently end up having it intervene very aggressively (and noticeably).

--Matt

Quick Reply: Big brake kits and wheels... updated list