Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

brake it down now!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thinking about new brake pads and rotors? Or a big brake kit that'll show through your new wheels?

First decide what feature(s) are most important to you:

-- cleaner wheels

-- less brake fade

-- less noise

-- increased stopping power

And then, at TireRack, select your Mini and pick one or more of the performance categories we've developed to make it easy for you to buy the right products:

-- Premium

-- Performance Street

-- Autocross/Light Track

Let me know if you need product or performance recommendations and I'd be happy to help you out.

.Brake decision guide

Old 05-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always wondered about this: How do big brake kits provide more stopping power? The OEM brake system can lock up all of the wheels. Since maximum stopping power occurs at threshold braking, I would imagine that all brakes (provided they could provide enough power to threshold brake...which every set should) would stop a car in the same distance.

The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with heat build up/dissipation during the threshold braking run...and eventually brake fade as they become heat soaked.

What am I missing?

Old 05-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Ok, think about it this way:

Flip a bike over and spin the front wheel, get it going fast. Now take your two index fingers, position them on each side and then use only your fingertips to stop the wheel from spinning.

No do the same thing and use the palms of your hands and not your fingertips.

R

Old 05-29-2003, 06:49 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
I agree with Dave, its a matter of leverage.

Multiple pistons also allow more even braking force distrobution.

Most high quality calipers, tend to flex less under extreme heat & force.

Larger vented rotor help cooling. A heatsink with more suface area disspates given heat quicker.

Slotting/drilling helps with pad degassing.

These are a few advantages of a big brake setup.

Alex

Old 05-29-2003, 06:51 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
I agree with Dave, its a matter of leverage. In addtion to the main mechanical advantage, the following are benefits also:

Multiple pistons also allow more even braking force distrobution.

Most high quality calipers, tend to flex less under extreme heat & force.

Larger vented rotor help cooling. A heatsink with more suface area disspates given heat quicker.

Slotting/drilling helps with pad degassing.

Alex

Old 05-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
I think the way you have to look at it is that both stock brakes and big brake kits will invoke the Anti-lock system so comparitivly the car will stop in the same distance. Different tires would have more of an effect if you wanted to stop quicker.

So for street applications, big brake kits provide lot's o'bling and little real value.

The main benifit of upgrading your brakes is to provide for additional heat disipation that you would really only need on the race track or AutoX. I tried to find the article I read earlier today and they testing the stock brakes to the large/expensive Brembo systems on an MCS and from 100-0 braking only averaged 1 foot better stopping distance. Testing ground/tire temperature alone could have made the difference there. So don't think that by upgrading your brakes that you will be able to stop quicker. You will only be able to stop quicker than the stock brakes after you have taken the stock brakes past their threshold of Heat.

Also remember that bigger brakes (even with Alum Hat's) weigh more than the stock rotors. Brembo's are 2lbs heavier than stock according to the article I was reading. But man, do they look awsome!

Old 05-30-2003, 07:53 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Also remember that bigger brakes (even with Alum Hat's) weigh more than the stock rotors. Brembo's are 2lbs heavier than stock according to the article I was reading. But man, do they look awsome!
>>

Also remember that if I eat a big meal, I'm 5 ro 6 pounds heavier!

Old 05-30-2003, 07:57 AM
8ball
6th Gear
>>>>Also remember that bigger brakes (even with Alum Hat's) weigh more than the stock rotors. Brembo's are 2lbs heavier than stock ......
>>>>
>>
>>
>>Also remember that if I eat a big meal, I'm 5 ro 6 pounds heavier!

... but the rotors are unsprung weight and you are 'sprung' weight, just along for the ride ... keeping the weight off the wheels and hubs helps with acceleration ...