Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension So I just installed a new rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I just installed a new rear sway bar

Bought it used from a guy on NAM about a week ago and finaly had a chance to install it last night.

I help manage a shop so I have full access to air tools and a lift.

I was helping a friend of mine work on his transmission and bsing with my ex-college roommate who i have not seen in almost a year so I was not working on the car the whole time. It took me about an hour and a half from the time i got the car up on the lift till the time I got it back down. I think I could have done it in less then an hour without the bsing.

I do have one question though.

My bar has three holes in the end I currently have the bar at the middle setting.

Which setting is the stiffest setting the front hole or rear hole? I was not sure so just set it in the middle.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:39 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
closer to the tip of the bar = softest

closer to the bend of the bar = stiffest

it's not how fast you can do the work.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Ok thats kind of what all three of us figured while we were looking at it I was just making sure.

I just left it on the middle setting to see how I Liked it.

I will probably go to the stiffest setting sometime this week or next to try it out.

I always want to see how fast I can get something done since everything is always in book time.

I friend of mine that was an auto body guy till he got hurt bad was great at doing this.

He could do a job that was say 6 hours by the book in 4 hours or so but he got paid for the book time.

By doing that he could make say 10 hours worth of money in less then eight hours.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:27 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Make sure you re-torque your sub frame bolts unless you used a tad bit
of threadlock blue.

Those tend to back out sometimes.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:07 PM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
what do you torque them to?

Old 02-07-2005, 07:50 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
I forgot off hand, but outmotoring should still have the instructions

Old 02-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
how does it feel now that it's on?

Old 02-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Originally Posted by forevercornered
what do you torque them to?
100 nm think that is 75 ft/lbs

I torqued the subframe bolts and used the impact gun on the bottom strut bolts and then an air rachet on the top struts bolts and sway bar to subframe bolts.

I just moved up to the stiffest setting today and wow.

The car has no understeer now and I think actually may have a little bit of oversteer in some situations.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:37 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Azwed
I think actually may have a little bit of oversteer in some situations.
Is that everytime you let off the gas burning thru a turn??? Be careful with the bar on the stiffest setting. If your not ready, you could be in for a bad time.

I have a UUC 19mm bar set on soft setting and can let the back swing out pretty much at will, was kinda scary at first, but I've gotten used to it a bit.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sfjames2
Is that everytime you let off the gas burning thru a turn??? Be careful with the bar on the stiffest setting. If your not ready, you could be in for a bad time.

I have a UUC 19mm bar set on soft setting and can let the back swing out pretty much at will, was kinda scary at first, but I've gotten used to it a bit.
It is only if you are going into a turn very hard and left off the gas a large amount. I downshift a lot and that seems to make it less severe.

I don't mind a little bit of oversteer and this seems like just enough.

Old 02-09-2005, 03:39 PM
jinubob81
4th Gear
HEY!

you got it alright?

Hope you like it!
I would've if i wasn't such a pansy and just installed it.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:14 PM
scobib
5th Gear
While at our last track day, many, many people suddenly figured out that setting their 22 mm rear bar on the stiffest setting would cause snap oversteer mid-corner if they weren't butter smooth with the throttle - and many people went off because of it. We backed quite a few off to the middle hole - and for the people with camber plates up front, they went to the softest setting. Made a big difference...

If you're expecting the rear to step out, that's one thing - but if it snaps out, you have almost no time to correct and by that time, many people were already way out of sorts. It's almost impossible to recover at speed on the track in that situation in a FWD car - there's a better chance in a RWD one, where throttle application and opposite lock and bring the rear end in quicker. Glad most people learned the 'both feet in' mantra and used it in those situations, though...

Just be careful - I personally like a neutral car, not one with a tendency to step the rear end out at the drop of a hat... and especially not when I don't expect it. I want to tell the car what to do, not let the car tell me how to drive it... That little bit of oversteer you have now could turn into a LOT more on the track if you decide to take it out...

Old 02-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Originally Posted by scobib
While at our last track day, many, many people suddenly figured out that setting their 22 mm rear bar on the stiffest setting would cause snap oversteer mid-corner if they weren't butter smooth with the throttle - and many people went off because of it. We backed quite a few off to the middle hole - and for the people with camber plates up front, they went to the softest setting. Made a big difference...

If you're expecting the rear to step out, that's one thing - but if it snaps out, you have almost no time to correct and by that time, many people were already way out of sorts. It's almost impossible to recover at speed on the track in that situation in a FWD car - there's a better chance in a RWD one, where throttle application and opposite lock and bring the rear end in quicker. Glad most people learned the 'both feet in' mantra and used it in those situations, though...

Just be careful - I personally like a neutral car, not one with a tendency to step the rear end out at the drop of a hat... and especially not when I don't expect it. I want to tell the car what to do, not let the car tell me how to drive it... That little bit of oversteer you have now could turn into a LOT more on the track if you decide to take it out...
I don't plan on taking it to the track anytime soon but yeah I can definetly see that happening. I like the way it is now at moderate speed the car rotates much faster. At high speeds in 9/10ths or 10/10ths driving it could be a little iffy though.