Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Bilstein B4 OE shocks arrived, left front damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 03:51 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Bilstein Shocks Arrived w/ 1 Loose Spring Seat

So yesterday the shocks were on my porch when I got home, box was a bit damaged. Didn't inspect everything at the time. Today I opened all the shocks to get them ready for the weekend wrench turning, and to my disappointment one the front shocks has a loose spring seat (?) and bent brake line clamp (no biggie IMO). Is this a serious problem? Does this spring seat being loose signify any major damage or am I okay to just tap it back into place and straighten the clip out?

Could they be internally damaged? They all compress with roughly the same amount of force - pushing the piston against the ground is the only test I know of. Really want the suspension back together this weekend, but if you all think it's a bad idea then I'll wait until a replacement set comes in.

Just want the advice of my fellow NAM'ers. TIA 😊

Last edited by Andrew Riley; 09-08-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:22 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts
IMHO, don't touch it. I'd file a claim with the shipper. If you try to reattach the spring seat and it fails, you're going to incur some real serious damage, not to mention your warranty with Bilstein will not be honored. I once got a shipment of KONI's and, not because of the shipper, one of the perches, like yours, was detached. KONI sent me a new one.

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 09-08-2022 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew Riley (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 06:31 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 547 Likes on 374 Posts
@NC TRACKRAT is right. I would only add that I would call the vendor to see what, if anything, they might do.

In the last couple of years, I've bought a set of coilovers and a set of shocks (two different cars) and both times was surprised at the packaging. I guess it's cheaper for them to replace items once in a while than to spend more time and money packing well.

Andrew Riley (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 06:42 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dmath
@NC TRACKRAT is right. I would only add that I would call the vendor to see what, if anything, they might do. In the last couple of years, I've bought a set of coilovers and a set of shocks (two different cars) and both times was surprised at the packaging. I guess it's cheaper for them to replace items once in a while than to spend more time and money packing well.
Agreed, 100%. The lack of packing was pathetic. Don't get me wrong, there was almost 50 yards of packing paper in the box, it was just compressed on the top and bottom. Main problem was no packing inside each individual strut box and the bracket for the brake line punctured straight through its box.

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
IMHO, don't touch it. I'd file a claim with the shipper. If you try to reattach the spring seat and it fails, you're going to incur some real serious damage, not to mention your warranty with Bilstein will not be honored. I once got a shipment of KONI's and, not because of the shipper, one of the perches, like yours, was detached. KONI sent me a new one.
Claim filed... 😮‍💨
My R53 has been waiting on these for 2 weeks now, guess we're going to have to wait another week. I was hesitant about installing it, for the reasons you mentioned most of all. Sure it's "damaged", but will it function to it's full capacity? That was the head scratcher.

PERCHES!💡

Now that I know what that piece is I'm able to do a proper search... being the optimistic type I am, I found this thread with same situation. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by Andrew Riley; 09-08-2022 at 06:50 PM.
khnitz (09-09-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 01:44 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Well, since the last post I've been going back and forth with the seller (through Amazon) and have had no luck. Sent the springs back and they've apparently shipped me a proper front left strut, without my knowledge.

Anyways... I was browsing @ECSTuning and found a pair of scratch and dent Solo Werks coilovers for only ~$100 more than what I paid for the Bilstein B4s. I couldn't pass it up.

I haven't been able to find much info on SoloWerks coilovers on MINIs but BMW and Audi owners seem to like them. No dampening settings, but they're going on a daily driver. Couldn't be more excited, new springs, struts, and shocks. Way better route than Bilstein B4s IMO, but time will tell.

Now, I'm just curious about what I need to get most out of the coilovers... Rear sway bar upgrade for sure. Maybe spacers as I'm currently running an 18x7.5 wheel? I don't believe the SoloWerks have mounting strut bearings, so Lemfoeders are ready to install along with Craven STDs. Guess I can return the Power Flex strut bushings and boots, so extra $75 there.
Hmm, thoughts and suggestions? 🤔
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:05 PM
deepgrey
5th Gear
Received 341 Likes on 263 Posts
I’m guessing those coilovers won’t sit at stock height, so you’ll probably want adjustable lower rear control arms if you don’t already have them.

Andrew Riley (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 07:00 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Originally Posted by deepgrey
I’m guessing those coilovers won’t sit at stock height, so you’ll probably want adjustable lower rear control arms if you don’t already have them.
I believe you're correct. They state a drop of:
  • Front 20mm-50mm (.8-2.0) Lowering Range
  • Rear 20mm-50mm (.8-2.0) Lowering Range

You're spot-on, I do not already have any adjustable rear control arms... Have any suggestions for a decent (daily driver) pair under $200? I was just looking at Mevotech or God Speed.
Edit: The 20mm drop can't be too much of a difference than my old, saggy stock springs with 150k miles on them, I wouldn't think. Just a thought, still going with the adjustable RCAs, can't beat dialing in the ride just right. 😉

Last edited by Andrew Riley; 09-19-2022 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:15 AM
deepgrey
5th Gear
Received 341 Likes on 263 Posts
I only have experience with the M7 arms, but they’ve gone up in price since I bought them. People also recommended the Hotchkis arms at the time I changed mine.

Andrew Riley (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 10:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
I have the godspeeds on both my MINIs, they are painted red and work. Quality is good. They are not the quality of M7 Speed or Hotchkis.

Add some anti seize on the threads no matter what you buy so down the road they dont seize up.

You get a bunch of road grim and water back there from the spray.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-20-2022, 01:39 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I have the godspeeds on both my MINIs, they are painted red and work. Quality is good. They are not the quality of M7 Speed or Hotchkis.

Add some anti seize on the threads no matter what you buy so down the road they dont seize up.

You get a bunch of road grim and water back there from the spray.
@ECSTuning I was looking at the God Speeds on your site, unfortunately they won't ship until September 27th...

Old 09-20-2022, 01:51 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Yep, they are so popular they are backed up on things. Thats about 7 days away. Otherwise if you cant wait you can go with the MINI known brands.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172