Suspension Making the sport suspension softer??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Chino_0
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the sport suspension softer??

Hey Guys

So I've had my F56 with the sport suspension for a few years now, and I decided that it's time to do something to make my suspension softer. I replace the tires to non-runflat tire a while ago and it still feels really stiff. I don't really do too much hard driving and the roads in my town are not in the greatest shape, so driving in my car is painful to say the least, since the suspension is really stiff. I've considered a few options at this time. Koni FSD's sound like a really good idea and my first option, although I've read several threads about them leaking, so I would appreciate any feedback from people that has used them and the Bilstein B4 for the standard suspension also sound like a good idea. The regular suspension shocks are an option, although a really pricey one. Any recommendations?

Old 03-09-2018, 04:53 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
its also the springs

Old 03-10-2018, 07:40 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Chino_0
Hey Guys

So I've had my F56 with the sport suspension for a few years now, and I decided that it's time to do something to make my suspension softer. I replace the tires to non-runflat tire a while ago and it still feels really stiff. I don't really do too much hard driving and the roads in my town are not in the greatest shape, so driving in my car is painful to say the least, since the suspension is really stiff. I've considered a few options at this time. Koni FSD's sound like a really good idea and my first option, although I've read several threads about them leaking, so I would appreciate any feedback from people that has used them and the Bilstein B4 for the standard suspension also sound like a good idea. The regular suspension shocks are an option, although a really pricey one. Any recommendations?
Post into Marketplace that you are looking to trade suspensions with the standard F56 setup. You’ll probably get a bite for someone looking for a cheap upgrade. Then the only challenge is in doing the swap. If you find someone nearby and do it yourself, the only cost to you may be labor!

Old 03-11-2018, 05:30 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by Chino_0
Hey Guys

There are a gazillion threads on NAM about how poor the stock MINI shocks are. While these cover the Gen Is and IIs, there is no reason to believe that the Gen III’s are any better. Actually, I believe that the term used to describe the MINI shocks is “crap”. I didn’t believe they were that bad until I replaced my sports suspension shocks (I have a Gen II with the sports suspension option and have gone to stiffer front and rear sway bars) with Bilstein B8s. Now, I am back to running the run flats the car came with. Yup, the MINI shocks are crap.

Bilstein (B4 or B6) or the FSDs should be a worthwhile replacement. These won’t particularly “soften” the suspension in as much as they will control that really annoying sharp jarring that occurs going over potholes and the like.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:41 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Is the sport suspension lower than non-sport? FSDs need the non-sport stock ride height springs from what I've read.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:02 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Nope, same height.

I have never looked into FSD, but I've never heard a bad thing about Koni. Everyone seems to love their stuff.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
There is a good thread comparing the FSD to the Bilstein B4s with a lot of replies. I think it is fair to say that, based on the responses that in that thread, they are equally well liked. Not much negative about the FSDs.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:57 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Another thing though- what size wheels do you have? If you're on 18s, they're gonna transmit a lot of bumps, even with non-run-flats. Might think about going 17 or 16.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I would use the FSDs as we've been using them for years with great luck and have a lifetime warranty. They always ride better than stock.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/koni-f...s-f55-f56.html

Also great price with the rebate right now.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-13-2018, 06:05 PM
jobea
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How abt KW street comfort?

Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by jobea
How abt KW street comfort?
If you want to go coilovers I would go our KW V2 as they rode well and really brought the performance back to the MINI

The STs are still a progressive spring and not as good ride as just upgrading the shocks.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more