Suspension Some advice on spring rates. totally confused/lost..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:49 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Some advice on spring rates. totally confused/lost..

i'd like to explain my situation first so that anyone who knows more than me (most of you) can help me make a decision.

i have Bilstein PSS10's on my F56. from being on the phone with bilstein, the struts/shocked are valved/tuned for my car (weight, dimensions, etc...) and the springs provided are also specced for my car. upon inquiring, they told me that the fronts are 399lbs/in. and the rears are 314lbs/in.

now, the PSS10's do not coming with coilover/race spring but rather a progressive spring made to fit on stock strut mount/top hats. i'm looking at getting camber plates and after much research, i've come to the conclusion i'll have to replace the springs to a coilover-type spring to put camber plates. i reached out to AST and they provided me with part numbers of their 60mm springs that will fit both the bilstein system as well as their camber plates. the main/helper springs have a combined spring rate of 456lbs/in. but they can mix/match the main/helper springs to whatever spring rate i want.

that's where i'm stuck. i don't know what's ideal. should i just get a spring to match my current spring rate? should i go stiffer? softer? do you guys know what you're running for your track setups.

i drive the mini 1-2 times a week on the street and i track about 5 events a year (10-12 days total).

appreciate any insight.

Marco

Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move you to the Gen3 area.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:43 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Call up the guys at Vorshlag, they don't have anything for the F56 listed on their website but they do have camber plates for the PSS10. I don't know if the top mount for the F56 is different from the R56 but they may have something that will just work with your existing springs.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:30 AM
hadjiikong
3rd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I talked to Vorshlag and they are looking for a local F56 to test the part on. Ideally they would like to have the stock setup. Sadly I am a 14 hour drive away or would be jumping on that in a heart beat.

Here is what they sent me.

"we are looking for a local F56 to test fit the BMW F22 camber plate to it and see if any changes need to be made to make it fit correctly. Ideally, we would be able to do this with the stock suspension first, and if you have the stock strut, spring and top hat, I'd like to see those before you bring in the car. This will allow us to verify the spring perch for the OEM MINI springs will fit correctly. The same perch is required for your PSS10 kit."