Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension struts or just mounts?

Old 12-29-2016, 10:16 AM
frankiev
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
struts or just mounts?

R53 s with 117000 mis .. I have a squeeking comming from the r front strut at the top . I can see the the rubber is cracked a bit so I know the mounts are bad . The question is wether I should replace the struts as well given the mileage . What do you guys think?
Thanks

Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they've never been replaced then yes it's time for new struts/mounts. You could do a once over of all of your suspension bushings as well. If be willing to bet that they're probably all shot if they're original. Mine were at 72k miles when I got mine.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:00 PM
frankiev
4th Gear
Thanks for the reply . Should I replace the rear shocks also ?
I read that the Bilstein B4s are stiffer than stock .
Which struts would you recommend ?

Old 12-31-2016, 04:46 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's usually best to do all 4 when doing it for maintenance so I would. I had the B4's very briefly coupled with TSW springs that lower the car .75" and even with a very minimal drop the ride was terrible. This won't really help if you're keeping the stock springs but I figured I would throw that in there. I switched over to the Koni sport shocks, or Koni yellows as they're sometimes referred to and couldn't be happier with the ride and handling they provide.

Sorry to drone on but I have screwed this up so I know it can make a big difference. If you are staying with the stock height I think it's a unanimous suggestion around here to go with the Koni FSD shocks since I've heard they actually ride better than the OEM shocks. If you are lowering that's a whole other story which require some research based on what you're looking to do.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:30 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Konis are excellent, some believe Bilsteins give a better street ride.

Here's some good info for comparison purposes:

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper...lication_Guide

Please let us know if we can help!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:36 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
+1 on FSD struts.
Also while it's up go ahead and do a complete 'turn your head and cough' inspection and any necessary replacement of the undercarriage...ball joints, bushings, everything. You'd also enjoy the tighter, more responsive handling from a heavier adjustable rear sway bar while you're at it.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:38 AM
frankiev
4th Gear
Thanks for the advice gentlemen . Im staying with the stock height so Ill prob go with the FSB s and I will also install a rear stab bar

Old 01-01-2017, 05:16 AM
frankiev
4th Gear
Looks like the FSD is a bit out of my price range . Is there anything between the B4 and FSD's

Search this Thread