5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How low do the Coilovers go?

Old 05-14-2016, 05:28 AM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Worth a try, wonder if the suspension would be just a bit tighter. I but sport suspension on my non sport Cooper , and i could feel the change in ride and response.
If I buy from you guys or another vendor how does that work with the warranty? Also, after getting them installed does the dealer let you keep your other shocks? I don't see why we shouldn't get them back/ they give you a break in labor for keeping them.

If I'm mostly concerned about performance over ride quality what would be the downside to dropping them all the way? What is a disadvantage to having the front lower than the rear? Thanks guys!

Old 05-18-2016, 07:10 AM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Double post

Old 05-18-2016, 07:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Thanks , we appreciate it, just responded in your PM.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-02-2016, 02:19 PM
StnTwnDevil
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
The rear springs, rear height adjusters with very nice rubber noise isolators, thread locker, wrench, and sticker. Where should the sticker go? :confused5:
JCW Pro coilovers unboxing by Ryephile, on Flickr
Hi Ryephile, thanks for this write-up, it also convinced me to purchase the kit. Quick question, where did you use the thread locker?

The following users liked this post:
03cooperr53 (02-20-2022)
Old 08-27-2016, 01:25 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Got it installed today. Dealer suggested where the final stance is at, said the technician is incredible at dialing in these kind of things. He left zero threads in the back and 3-4 up front. Almost all the way down and it looks and drives phenomenal. Any lower and it would rub on turns but overall I'm ecstatic.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:30 AM
sootyvrs
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any pics hondapilot?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:35 AM
StnTwnDevil
1st Gear
Originally Posted by honderpilot
Got it installed today. Dealer suggested where the final stance is at, said the technician is incredible at dialing in these kind of things. He left zero threads in the back and 3-4 up front. Almost all the way down and it looks and drives phenomenal. Any lower and it would rub on turns but overall I'm ecstatic.
Would love to see some pictures. I'm curious how the front of the car sits.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:58 AM
honderpilot
5th Gear
I will when I get a chance. I have about 4-5 inches of clearance at the lowest point so it's definitely a little bit lower than the mm springs. Also, the car isn't level when both left and right coils are at the same setting due to the weight distribution and and balance of the car so the front left is at 4 threads left and the front right has about 7 left. Each side is within 1mm of being perfect level with the other.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:07 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honderpilot, did the spring noise go away with the coilover install?

How does the ride compare to the nm springs/sport dampers as far as everyday driving goes?

Old 08-28-2016, 08:14 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
The spring noise went away the minute I took off the nm springs. I think I just got a bad set or installed them wrong. There were very slight flat spots on the top coils where I think it was rubbing/slipping and causing the creaking.

As for the coilovers, I love them so far. They definitely feel more sophisticated than the springs but they are similar. They are much firmer than the stock set up (mainly because of how low they are currently set). The dampers really make the ride less jarring than with the nm springs but still gives me that same direct connection with the road that I felt was lost with the stock setup. I also think that the body roll with the coilovers is extremely minimal. I really enjoyed the springs but I'm really happy I went with the coilovers. IMHO it's worth every penny.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, would love to see pics, and that sticker goes in the door jam I believe like all the other JCW suspension kits of the past.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-29-2016, 10:01 AM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
back to the question of the spring noise... i purchased honderpilots springs (he disclosed the noise before purchase)... has anyone figured out the correct install\fix to eliminate the noise?

Old 08-29-2016, 12:00 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I have NM springs and have never had a noise problem. Wish I could help you.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:40 PM
sootyvrs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by atlantaorange
back to the question of the spring noise... i purchased honderpilots springs (he disclosed the noise before purchase)... has anyone figured out the correct install\fix to eliminate the noise?
I personally would contact NM regarding the issue...

Apologies going off topic

Old 08-29-2016, 01:17 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by atlantaorange
I called Jerry at NM back in the day when the issue first arose and he offered to ship me a new set when they had some in stock. I got busy with work and life so i never got back to him on it. I'd try calling him and telling him about the creaking and he is a very understanding and helpful guy and he may exchange them, no promises though.

@ECS I didn't know that they put the sticker on the door jam. I was looking for it but didn't think to look there. I'll check later tonight and hopefully i can post pics for you guys of how it sits.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:42 PM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
I called Jerry at NM back in the day when the issue first arose and he offered to ship me a new set when they had some in stock. I got busy with work and life so i never got back to him on it. I'd try calling him and telling him about the creaking and he is a very understanding and helpful guy and he may exchange them, no promises though.

@ECS I didn't know that they put the sticker on the door jam. I was looking for it but didn't think to look there. I'll check later tonight and hopefully i can post pics for you guys of how it sits.
thanks!

i wont be installing these for a few weeks still... ill give Jerry a call as well.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:55 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor

Yea, on the Gen 1 JCW , they put the sticker in the door jamb so dealerships would know if its installed or I guess anyone else. So if you need replacement red springs or JCW struts.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:36 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Terrible rain here but finally got pics as the weather cleared up. For some reason they aren't posting here but if you want pics of the set up pm me

Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 AM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is really random... the bumpstop I have an arrow pointing to in this picture and the black cover underneath... are they one piece/part number? I started hearing a rattle recently in the drivers side rear and the black cover is no longer attached to the bumpstop and it is sitting on the shock which is rattling over every bump. I had the JCW Pro sport suspension installed in February so it hasn't even been installed a year yet. Not sure if anyone else has run into this problem. Anyone have a clue where could I buy that bumpstop with black cover piece? Or should that be covered by Mini since I bought the pro sport suspension kit through them?

Old 10-17-2016, 06:29 AM
sootyvrs
2nd Gear
It should be covered under warranty I would think.

Did Mini do the installation? I suspect that they could easily use the "incorrectly installed" stance if not done by one of their dealers but hopefully you should be OK

Old 10-17-2016, 06:31 AM
Dbartondpt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A private, well reputable shop did the install. The bumpstop/cover is supposed to be one solid piece right?

Old 10-17-2016, 06:36 AM
sootyvrs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dbartondpt
A private, well reputable shop did the install. The bumpstop/cover is supposed to be one solid piece right?
See what Mini dealer has to say. Hopefully there will be no problems...

I guess if they can prove that it was incorrectly installed, then you would possibly have the reputable shop to go back to for responsibility.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, I would call the dealership and let them know, should be covered under the 2 year unlimited miles warranty from MINI.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:15 AM
the901
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got them installed. Need to drive on them more but I'm a fan already. I used the same settings as Ryephile. I'm coming from the stock suspension so I need to get some better sway bars now.

Attached Thumbnails JCW Pro coilover unboxing-img_20161223_161415.jpg   JCW Pro coilover unboxing-img_20161223_161422.jpg  

Quick Reply: Suspension JCW Pro coilover unboxing