Suspension JCW Pro coilover unboxing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:08 AM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hemisedan
That sounds good! I asked on another posting, but what is the weight of these wheels? Really wish that they were 17's, but hopefully that will come later. Shucks, it's six months before I'll be taking delivery of my next Mini JCW, so I've got time yet. Can't believe that I'm getting all worked up about the next car so soon, but with you and Ryan and your JCW Pro Suspension adaptions, well it's getting me going, then you surface with a neat wheel option. Who says car stuff can't be fun?
Bbs offers the wheel in a 17 but do not know if the jcw brakes will clear on the 17.On the 18s i can fit a cigarette box between caliper and rim with a few mm to spare.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:35 PM
knecht
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm assuming these are equivalent to KW Variant 1's, is that correct? I ask because I have DDC and KW offers variant 1, 2, 3's with DDC cancellation. It would be great if MINI would offer the Pro Coilovers for cars equipped with DDC.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:35 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by knecht
I'm assuming these are equivalent to KW Variant 1's, is that correct? I ask because I have DDC and KW offers variant 1, 2, 3's with DDC cancellation. It would be great if MINI would offer the Pro Coilovers for cars equipped with DDC.
Bilstien makes the perfect coilover for ddc equipped cars.If i had ddc Bilstiens would be on my car instead of the Jcw coilovers.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:42 PM
knecht
3rd Gear
JCW Pro coilover unboxing

Originally Posted by F55MidnightBlackCooperS
Bilstien makes the perfect coilover for ddc equipped cars.If i had ddc Bilstiens would be on my car instead of the Jcw coilovers.
Do you happen to have a link or part number for Bilsteins? I looked on their site and googled and came up blank. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:44 AM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
I know that the 2016 lineup will be announced in a week or so per jerry at nm and I googled 2016 bilstien F56 MINI and dug deep into the results and found a bilstien page that listed shocks and coilover kits for ddc equipped f56/55.Wish I had copy and posted page.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Zillon
Any plans to fix that negative rear camber, Ryan?

I'm a bit disappointed with the appearance of the stock wheels and tires on the JCW, they just look flat out goofy with the distended spokes and tiny contact patches.
The rear camber is adjustable right out of the factory, just like all MINI's from '05+.

I agree the convex wheels look terrible. There's no good reason Brembo needed to make the caliper so thick. As for the contact patch, it's been the same since 2002. The biggest visual proportional differences with regard to wheel gap is each generation chassis has larger and larger diameter wheel arches.

Originally Posted by knecht
I would presume so, based on KW's design precedent. I would also presume that MINI didn't bother with a DDC solution because they're expecting people to either choose DDC and stick with it, or get standard suspension and go JCW accessory.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 AM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would presume so, based on KW's design precedent. I would also presume that MINI didn't bother with a DDC solution because they're expecting people to either choose DDC and stick with it, or get standard suspension and go JCW accessory.[/QUOTE]

That's what I did on my 2016 Johnny CW I ordered. Non DDC & purchased JCW Pro coilovers to be installed when it arrives.

Wheel width must be addressed next since all my cars are Porsches running huge staggered width's . No way am I going to be seen in my new daily driver running around on go- kart tires.
I contacted Fiske wheels and they can make 8 & 9 by 17 or 18 inches same as the Mini/LAP race cars.

Attached Thumbnails JCW Pro coilover unboxing-11143136_476849882472989_8838044517063295383_n.jpg  
Old 08-17-2015, 01:49 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Here is the list for the F56 Coilover options :

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2014-Cooper-F56-S-3_Door-B48A20A/Suspension/Coilovers/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by RDSJCW

Wheel width must be addressed next since all my cars are Porsches running huge staggered width's . No way am I going to be seen in my new daily driver running around on go- kart tires.
I contacted Fiske wheels and they can make 8 & 9 by 17 or 18 inches same as the Mini/LAP race cars.
Ok cool. Reverse staggered to account for the static weight distribution? 245 front and 225 rear? There's only so much you can fit under the stock wheel arches. It is a MINI after all, and applying Porsche thought processes might not be applicable.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:18 PM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Get your MINI Cooper fitted with a set of FIKSE race proven wheels to take your cars look and performance to the next level. You get a special reduced price and get to help push MINI to the top.
Fikse FM10 in Race Satin or Race Black centers and Polished outer rim, $2799 for the set of 4!!! MINI cars only in any size you would like. Shipping is not included.
Contact sales@fikse.com

The JCW/LAP team is running 225's with Fiske wheels

Attached Thumbnails JCW Pro coilover unboxing-11826065_1459968627639743_2455093924461303150_n.jpg  

Last edited by RDSJCW; 08-17-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Reads like an advertisement. FYI, the Fikse wheels won't clear the JCW Brembo's. The LAP car started as a Cooper S.

Anyway, back to the topic:

I was able to take my reference on-ramp today with the JCW Pro coilovers. I was able to get 2 more MPH out of them versus the sport suspension. Not sure if it's the roll center change and/or a spring rate change, but for sure the car corners steady-state at a faster speed. FWIW, the speed was faster than any previous MINI in any configuration, save running Hoosiers. This is on the factory LRR summer 205/45-17. Super impressive.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:35 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Bbs will clear brakes

Old 09-08-2015, 07:25 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Sorry I typo'd the part number, it's fixed now. The box part number is correct.

As for pricing, I'd rather not say for my situation, however you should definitely ask your dealer to price-match ECS or MINI of Kennesaw, as they both list the kit on their webstores for $1,465 and $1,421 respectively.
Looks like ECS raised the price back up?

What gives, ECS?

Old 09-08-2015, 09:49 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ryephile, thanks for this detailed thread, very informative. You have convinced me to upgrade from my current Eibach springs to a coilover system. I find the Eibachs a little too soft and bouncy for my taste.

Anyway, I have a KW V2 coming and have a few questions since obviously you did all the install yourself. Is there anyway to access the rear shock mount from inside the car (trunk)? I took a quick peek through the side openings of the trunk lining but couldn't find the rear shock mount. Obviously, I want to be able to access the shocks' dampening adjustment from within the trunk.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2015, 05:24 AM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BadakVT
Ryephile, thanks for this detailed thread, very informative. You have convinced me to upgrade from my current Eibach springs to a coilover system. I find the Eibachs a little too soft and bouncy for my taste.

Anyway, I have a KW V2 coming and have a few questions since obviously you did all the install yourself. Is there anyway to access the rear shock mount from inside the car (trunk)? I took a quick peek through the side openings of the trunk lining but couldn't find the rear shock mount. Obviously, I want to be able to access the shocks' dampening adjustment from within the trunk.

Thanks!
No interior rear access to top of shock in a f series mini.

Last edited by F55MidnightBlackCooperS; 09-09-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:57 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
3000 miles and still very impressed with the ride quality and all around performance of the Jcw pro suspension.Over the holiday we did a trip to South Beach and Key West with road conditions from very bad to perfect and no matter what surface, speed or weather the suspension never lost composure.

Rye

Would end links and corner balancing be beneficial on a daily? Had done to my R56FJCW and loved the handling but did all suspension upgrades coilovers,bars,bushings end links wheels tires and corner balancing in one day.

Last edited by F55MidnightBlackCooperS; 09-09-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:25 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=F55MidnightBlackCooperS;4122269]3000 miles and still very impressed with the ride quality and all around performance of the Jcw pro suspension.Over the holiday we did a trip to South Beach and Key West with road conditions from very bad to perfect and no matter what surface or speed or weather the suspension never lost composure

Rye

You've just about got me sold on the JCW Pro suspension. What's not like about it? It gives a great ride height, lives able ride, improves handling. Cost isn't all that bad. Yeah, one of my first mods, maybe even at delivery. Take off the over priced are Rebel Green or Lapis luxury Blue and that's over half the cost. Sounds like I'm talking myself into it.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by BadakVT

Thanks!
You're welcome. You'll appreciate the all-around improvement in both ride and handling, especially in the bumpy stuff. The acid test for good dampers and appropriate ride height positioning is very bumpy surfaces during high load cornering. If you have to slow down due to lost grip it's pretty much proportional to how crappy your setup is.

As for the damper adjustment, I'm not sure how KW implemented the rebound adjustment. Usually their "out of the box" suggestions for damper settings are very close for most applications.

Originally Posted by F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3000 miles and still very impressed with the ride quality and all around performance of the Jcw pro suspension.Over the holiday we did a trip to South Beach and Key West with road conditions from very bad to perfect and no matter what surface, speed or weather the suspension never lost composure.

Rye

Would end links and corner balancing be beneficial on a daily? Had done to my R56FJCW and loved the handling but did all suspension upgrades coilovers,bars,bushings end links wheels tires and corner balancing in one day.
Man you're driving it all over! I only have 1300 miles on mine, but they're still very satisfactory.

Adjustable end links would only be maybe necessary on a corner balance, and whether that's up to you for a DD is a decision your wallet more-than-likely has to make. Between having passengers and groceries or luggage, the corner balance will be thrown off every trip. Generally it's not worth it as long as your initial setup is within the realm of reasonable. Worst case a corner balance gives you the weights and distribution of the car; that's always fun to know.

Originally Posted by hemisedan
...You've just about got me sold on the JCW Pro suspension. What's not like about it? It gives a great ride height, lives able ride, improves handling. Cost isn't all that bad. Yeah, one of my first mods, maybe even at delivery. Take off the over priced are Rebel Green or Lapis luxury Blue and that's over half the cost. Sounds like I'm talking myself into it.
What's not to like? Ummmmmm......*crickets*....*crickets*....I wish they were regressive valved? LOL but seriously that can't happen at this price point. For the price, they're perfect. I was fiddling with the new MINI Connected app and the g-force meter showed an honest 0.99g on my reference 270° on ramp, with the stock LRR Pirelli's! That's not transient g-force but sustained, like you'd see in a car magazine data set. Legitimately impressive. Just for fun, the highest transient has been 1.04g, through a 90° right-hander.

Talk to you dealer about doing a deal of rolling the coilovers into the sale of the car. My dealer gave me a nice discount for folding them into the loan at the time of delivery. Big enough that the loan interest delta still made it more than worth it.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rye, are you still keeping the same ride height as when you first installed it? Any complain so far?

I'm planning to follow your height setup 0.75 thread shown up front and all the way down for the rears.

I'll have to confirm when I get my set that the JCW Coilovers(KW V1) and KW V2 do have the same height adjustment threads.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
The ride height is appropriate for balanced ride and handling; about 1.2" lower than stock.

I would not copy my ride height settings by assuming the KW V2's use the same spring rates or spring perch dimensions. The KW's usually come with good instructions that inform you where to locate the spring perches. Follow those directions. With any luck they have the same stroke positioning as the JCW Pro's, but I wouldn't assume that. When you get your V2's please start a new thread so we can tackle that topic succinctly.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:30 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Setup height on my car is within a thread or 2 of the Ryephile set up and can report that car feels 100% stable 90 degree city style turn over broken or uneven concrete at moderate speeds and just as reassuring on 20 to 25 degree rough asphalt with slight bank freeway type exit at speeds over the ton mark.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:11 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Are rear lower control arms necessary on this setup to bring the alignment back to factory specs?

Old 10-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SoCalledFriend
Are rear lower control arms necessary on this setup to bring the alignment back to factory specs?
If you mean aftermarket, no. MINI's have come from the factory since 2005 with adjustable camber rear lower control arms. The modest lowering is within the range of the factory eccentric adjusters.

It's also a good time to mention that most aftermarket control arms do not have quality weather-resistant design and will likely bind/seize/fail after one typical salted rust-belt winter. This is one circumstance where the factory did a good job engineering the solution.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:01 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
If you mean aftermarket, no. MINI's have come from the factory since 2005 with adjustable camber rear lower control arms. The modest lowering is within the range of the factory eccentric adjusters.

It's also a good time to mention that most aftermarket control arms do not have quality weather-resistant design and will likely bind/seize/fail after one typical salted rust-belt winter. This is one circumstance where the factory did a good job engineering the solution.
Thanks. I'm *right there* in going with this setup. My only concern is the moderate drop. I'd like it to go a little lower, but I did see on car on here with the JCW Pro Suspension and the drop looked a bit lower, which is where I'd want to be.

I can get this installed, at the dealer, for $2k plus tax. Hmmmmmm......

Old 10-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
You can go lower, but the ride quality will start to suffer as it becomes more bumpstop active. The MINI JCW press pictures are the lowest possible given how the adjusters are threaded. For sure if stance is the #1 priority, there are other options like the BC's, however they give up damper quality, total stroke, and longevity-design to achieve the stance and the low price.

Let's see if the attachment works.

Attached Thumbnails JCW Pro coilover unboxing-p90183584_highres.jpg  

Quick Reply: Suspension JCW Pro coilover unboxing