Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension NM RS Alpha Spring Install Cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
NM RS Alpha Spring Install Cost

I just ordered a set of NM RS Alpha springs and H-Sport rear camber links, what would be a reasonable install cost including alignment?

I'm getting quotes for just the labor between $650 to $1200. The the local MINI dealership wants $850. They claim that new control arms are NOT needed for proper camber alignment, but I bought them anyway.

I'm also getting quotes of $500 more to install a rear sway bar (at the same time they are doing the springs), but that I can do myself.

Do these numbers sound high? I'm happy to pay for quality work but I don't want to be a sucker too.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my car at a club DIY day and learned how to do it. Did my son's at the public lift in about 3.5 hours. (Jack Junkies) Springs, sway bar and control arms. That was around $100. I had him take it to the dealer for a full alignment and paid standard alignment rate there of $160. I think that is high, too high, but what are you to do for such a specialized service?

With NM, which I also installed, I think the necessity for control arms is a close call. I opted to install adjustable. Cheaper than tires, I figured. It isn't that hard to do but some of it is a pain but its all straight forward stuff.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried doing mine (a 2012 MCS) but couldn't manage to get the front shock assembly separated from the control arm. Paid an indie shop here $750 to install them.

$500 for a rear bar sounds high. I've not tried it, but have read multiple reports of owners accomplishing on their own without a lot of trauma.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 PM
sixer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was quoted $250 for the installation of nm springs(local mini specialty shop than nm eng referred me to dirextly) , but I will have to get the alignment from a different shop after. I haven't asked about the rear control arm due to asking jerry and nm saying it wasn't necessary, but I might end up ordering one too if I do order these or different springs(still deciding between these and jcw onea)

Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
It works fine with the stock control arms. I ended up getting adjustable control arms to get a little better tire wear. If you have a jack, some jack stands. A spring compressor tool and an electric impact wrench and some wrenches is all you need for the install. The springs are not that hard. In the back while you have them off is the perfect time to add a rear sway bar. You can buy all of those installation tools for less than most of those prices the garages are quoting you and you can do other cars after this one so you will get your money's worth. There are some really good threads on this very subject on NAM, even some stuff on youtube. That's all I used, I still don't have a manual for the car. I did the install and skipped the alignment for at least a year. They only made some very slight changes when I finally got around to doing the 4 wheel alignment.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 AM
minikupal
1st Gear
$390 here in nj..for a spring install and alignment ..

Old 07-23-2013, 06:16 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I am shocked at some of the prices quoted here to simply install springs. Also you don't have to go to the dealer to do an alignment. BestOne tires did mine. There was a guy who does performance alignments all the time there.

I swapped out my care to the JCW suspension in about a 5-6 hours of fumbling around.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I was shocked too.

Normally this is a project that I would tackle myself - I love buying new tools. I did my first timing belt change on an xterra in 4 hours, but I'm coming back from back surgery (lost my T10 vertebra) and a bone marrow transplant so I would just get too tired.

I'll be at the dealer tomorrow, getting by bonnet stripes put on that they owe me, maybe in person I can work a better deal, otherwise I'll go with this independent shop...he has a british accent so he must be good It would also be nice to develop a relationship with a good shop.

I'll hold off on the alignment for a week or two and have it done after I put in the sway bar, that looks pretty straight forward.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Found a shop that will do the springs and sway bar for under $500 next Wednesday. The guy on the phone really seems to know what he was talking about. I'll post a review when they get done.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow...just under $500?!

Detriot Tuned is gonna do my springs sometime when I get around it but for install of springs it'll be $170, and for an alignment it's $135. That's $305. I'm shocked some people are paying outside that range of $300.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
3leafz
2nd Gear
Back in 2011, I had a local auto garage installed my nm springs, Fixed camber plates and Koni yellow sports for around $150 in total.Took them 1.5 hours to finish the install. Alignment was done after 200 miles, and it was $65.

Why pay a premium to the mini dealer for install? Since these are aftermarket parts, and the dealer won't honor warranty on them anyway. So any good reputable local garage can get the job done for a lot less. With the money saved, you can get some other upgrades for your mini.

Btw I am in LA.

Just my 1 cent.

-Calvin

Old 07-25-2013, 01:18 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I definitely don't want to pay a premium just because they are a dealership. That's just silly in my eyes. The dealer quote for springs, sway bar and alignment was $1050.00. They quoted 6 hours for the springs and 4 for the sway bar even though you need to remove the springs to replace the sway bar. When the SA told me that, I knew I was going elsewhere.

Another shop quoted $1750.00 (6 hours for the springs and 7 for the sway bar) and included a $240 alignment, which is just crazy high even if they are good.

The local shop (specializes in MINI/BMW) quoted $475.00 for the springs and sway bar, which I find reasonable, and hopefully they do good work and will be my go to shop in the future. Now I'm just excited to get them put on

I'll get the alignment done on my own after a 100 miles or so.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I got the springs and sway bar installed and am really happy with them. It's been raining so I haven't been able to really test out the handling but the car looks great. The ride is definitely firmer but not in a bad way.

The shop that did the work was great. For those in the Raleigh area and you're looking for a place here's there website: http://www.las-nc.com I was referred to them from the Tarheel Mini Motor Club.

I also have a set of H-Sport control arms to install, wasn't going to but Way highly recommends that I do, so I will defer to the expert and put them on.

Next up is either intercooler or exhaust. I'm leaning toward exhaust, I really want the sound!

Old 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Should have been
$50 to rent spring compressors and $50 for a cash alignment

And maybe $50 to find yourself a pair

Old 08-02-2013, 01:28 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
Should have been
$50 to rent spring compressors and $50 for a cash alignment

And maybe $50 to find yourself a pair
A pair of what?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
A pair of what?

Num chucks....

Old 08-02-2013, 02:32 PM
minikupal
1st Gear
Autozone has free rental for spring compressor ...but where is this $50 for alignment .
That's very cheap..good deal if its legit..never heard of such deal before..

Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure am glad that I was able to do my own installations rather than pay someone for it after reading this thread. Alignment cost me $80 here in Ca. With that, I had no choice but to go to a local shop. But turns out the owner is a MINI enthusiast himself so it's all good!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:45 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS2011PT
I sure am glad that I was able to do my own installations rather than pay someone for it after reading this thread. Alignment cost me $80 here in Ca. With that, I had no choice but to go to a local shop. But turns out the owner is a MINI enthusiast himself so it's all good!
After my RSa install, I decided to buy my own alignment tools.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
A pair of what?
Figure it out

Originally Posted by minikupal
Autozone has free rental for spring compressor ...but where is this $50 for alignment .
That's very cheap..good deal if its legit..never heard of such deal before..
That reminds me I need to return mine. Borrowed them for the Miata and will need them again soon for the Mini.

I get them for $20 + tip so $25 cash.

Alignments should be no more than $50. Go to a dealer, see if there's a guy that does mainly alignments and offer him $50 cash.

Mine are done at Honda.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:12 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Dr. Spade if you look at a previous post in the thread I explain why I can't physically do the work myself, normally I would have done the work but life happens.

If you think changing out springs makes you a man then, well then that's just sad.

Then again you're the type of person that tries to ridicule a disabled person for way they are.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Dr. Spade if you look at a previous post in the thread I explain why I can't physically do the work myself, normally I would have done the work but life happens.

If you think changing out springs makes you a man then, well then that's just sad.

Then again you're the type of person that tries to ridicule a disabled person for way they are.
I missed that part. My sincere apologies.

For the alignment tho, try what I said.

Unless camber & toe is set down to the hundredth of a degree to exactly what you want, you should not be paying over $50 for an alignment.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Apology accepted.

I found a place to align it for $70 bucks. Like you said it doesn't have to be gnat's ***.

I will be able to put the intercooler on myself, with my wife's help,

Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 PM
cjny
2nd Gear
$70 is pretty common for a quality alignment, at least around here. I paid $160 for a lifetime alignment package (as often as I care to bring it in) at a local tire shop that does a good job. The first one was done when the car was 1 week old, and it needed it!

This has proven to be a good deal.