Suspension Just ordered my Megan racing coils :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered my Megan racing coils :)

Im pretty excited, hopefully I can install them this weekend. I also really hope they are worth the money and really improve ride comfort and dont break on my quickly. We shall see!

Also if anyone is interested, I purchesed the specialty products strut knuckle separator tool, if anyone wants to borrow it, let me know.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Good luck. Post some pics of your install.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Just got the megans installed. Spent all day working on them. I have to say I was very impressed with the quality of the coils, they're way nicer than the h&r coils I have on my m-coupe, look much better built.

The install went pretty smoothly EXCEPT for getting the knuckle off of the factory struts, they fought me tooth and nail, I knew they would. The SPC strut spreader tool doesn't really fit the countryman knuckles right, I tried very hard to figure out a way to make them fit and couldn't.

Eventually my mini technician buddy came by and showed me the chisel trick. You just hammer in a chisel into the knuckle and the knuckle releases the strut very easily. It slides right off.

Anyway, I lowered the car considerably from where I was at with the NMs, and the ride is light years better than factory or NM springs. No more bouncing, bottoming out or shocks to the back from bumps in the road.

I'm going to drive it around a bit before posting my impressions but so far so good, worth every penny. They even surprised my very skeptical mini technician buddy.

So without further ado:

This is my CMS with the NM springs

This is the after photo with the megans. I dropped it down about 1.75" from the max ride height spec on the Megans.

Oh so shiny!

Stablemates

Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Very nice.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just hammer in a chisel into the knuckle and the knuckle releases the strut very easily. It slides right off.
Hey, I think I've posted that (a few dozen times) whenever someone on here talks about buying a spreader tool.

Hopefully you adjusted the damping towards the stiffer end of the adjustment range, because the car I drove (with them set in the middle of the range) was way too soft and wallowed, especially the rears. Let us know if you experiment with the settings, and how much of a difference it makes. I'm still on the fence about these coilovers, I think we've gotten used to the NM springs and it doesn't seem too bad anymore.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MotoGreg
Hey, I think I've posted that (a few dozen times) whenever someone on here talks about buying a spreader tool.

Hopefully you adjusted the damping towards the stiffer end of the adjustment range, because the car I drove (with them set in the middle of the range) was way too soft and wallowed, especially the rears. Let us know if you experiment with the settings, and how much of a difference it makes. I'm still on the fence about these coilovers, I think we've gotten used to the NM springs and it doesn't seem too bad anymore.

Hmmm on my set theyre set dead in the middle and the ride quality is not soft or wallowed. The dampening feels just right actually. I need to drive it more to get a better impression, maybe I'll try the hardest and softest settings too, to see the difference.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Looks good. I'm leaning toward coilovers because you can adjust the ride height to exactly where you want it. With just springs it sits how it sits. It seems the back sits lower than the front with just springs, and it sits down even more with weight transfer during take off torque.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM
coopers111
2nd Gear
I want to get the Megans for my car but I'm not so sure I want to drop it. I want the coilover because of the damping adjustability and the integrated camber plates up front. Do you think that the car can be set at stock ride height with the Megans? or is it always going to be lower than stock?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by coopers111
I want to get the Megans for my car but I'm not so sure I want to drop it. I want the coilover because of the damping adjustability and the integrated camber plates up front. Do you think that the car can be set at stock ride height with the Megans? or is it always going to be lower than stock?
I had it on the highest setting when i first installed it, per the instructions, it was just a tad bit higher than the NM springs, it felt like, pretty close to factory if I had to call it.

So I have about a week's worth of driving experience on the megan racing coils, and I have to say it is a NO BRAINER upgrade for anyone who wants to lower or wants a better ride height. Compared to the NM springs, they are amazingly more compliant. I have mine set to 15 on the dampening and going over bumps, freeway expansion joints and dips in the road no longer makes the discs in your back want to pop out.

The rear no longer bottoms out whatsoever period. Rear passengers will not get thrown out of their seats if you're driving over a bumpy or dippy road. The springs are more stiff, and you can feel them, but that's a good thing since when I removed the NM springs, I could compress them BY HAND!

Over extreme bumps and such, the ride can still be a bit rough but that could possibly change with softening/hardening the dampening settings which I have not yet touched.

I have noticed since the spring rates are much higher, when going about 15-20mph on a bumpy road, the coils transmit more of the tiny imperfections in the road to you a bit more, but the ride is never harsh or jerky or bumpy and usually that goes away after you speed up a bit. The same ride with the NM springs would make the car almost bounce. That simply doesnt happen with the megans

As far as handling goes, it is really good, the car stays planted and body roll is almost completely eliminated, but the car seems to understeer with quick steering inputs or during extreme cornering. This could be fixed with a swaybar in the rear I am sure.

my overall impression is that the megan racing coilovers are worth every penny and are a bargain for what they provide at their pricepoint. My favorite part is the fact that you can adjust ride height without effecting the spring rate.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Weare138
2nd Gear
What size tires are you running? Any rubbing?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
im running 225's all around, no rubbing whatsoever. The tire is kinda close to the strut but nothing to be worried about.

The car rides no different than factory, just smoother and less jarring.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 AM
CMS3086
1st Gear
Look good, half price of KW V2.
Have you try soften? compare to stock will more comfort?
I just want lower like you.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Sliksunny
2nd Gear
Hey shoe any more updates ? I want to lower for looks and not sure which route to take. Your experience makes me want to jump on these... Any 1 else have them? Any 1 else interested maybe we can set up a group buy !

Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
If you can afford it, go for it. Theyre worth every penny, at the very elast though, if youre going for lowering springs, avoid the nms. Theyre junk in my opinion.

I have the dampening setting on the lowest setting and been riding around like that for 2k miles, very comfortable and compliant.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 AM
SmithWerks
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
anyone w/ the Megan coils on an ALL4 ?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 PM
madmax88
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmithWerks
anyone w/ the Megan coils on an ALL4 ?
bump!!! it has been forever, but so far, no one with the ALL4 has come forward to give us review about it, if they had install the Megan on it. Anyone? Anyone?? I really want to get more feedback, planning to get one in about a few weeks.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 AM
Elmj
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by madmax88
bump!!! it has been forever, but so far, no one with the ALL4 has come forward to give us review about it, if they had install the Megan on it. Anyone? Anyone?? I really want to get more feedback, planning to get one in about a few weeks.
FYI , I asked Megan if these would work on an ALL4 they said no , I did find BC Racing has ones for ALL4 , apparently they make the Megan coilovers, I started a thread in the main R60 forum

These coil-overs will not fit the AWD since the mounting points are very different and so forth. Unfortunately, there is no other lowering options that we offer for the AWD.

Thank you and have a great day!

MEGAN RACING INC.
489 YORBITA ROAD STE B
LA PUENTE, CA 91744

Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Hey all I have since sold my mini and have a complete set of megan racing coilover for sale

includes everything, box, manual, paperwork, wrenches, etc etc

asking 650 + shipping

Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Helmincamaro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Shoe Coupe
Hey all I have since sold my mini and have a complete set of megan racing coilover for sale includes everything, box, manual, paperwork, wrenches, etc etc asking 650 + shipping

That's tempting, I wish I wasn't broke! LOL where are you located?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Im in Los angeles

Old 06-14-2014, 01:18 PM
broussardc
2nd Gear
Did you sell your Megans yet?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by broussardc
Did you sell your Megans yet?
yep, gone.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Has anyone tried these on the All4 yet? Supposedly Way said they fit. Currently have the NM's with Bilstein HD and looking for something slightly firmer.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:15 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoe Coupe
Just got the megans installed. Spent all day working on them. I have to say I was very impressed with the quality of the coils, they're way nicer than the h&r coils I have on my m-coupe, look much better built.

The install went pretty smoothly EXCEPT for getting the knuckle off of the factory struts, they fought me tooth and nail, I knew they would. The SPC strut spreader tool doesn't really fit the countryman knuckles right, I tried very hard to figure out a way to make them fit and couldn't.

Eventually my mini technician buddy came by and showed me the chisel trick. You just hammer in a chisel into the knuckle and the knuckle releases the strut very easily. It slides right off.

Anyway, I lowered the car considerably from where I was at with the NMs, and the ride is light years better than factory or NM springs. No more bouncing, bottoming out or shocks to the back from bumps in the road.

I'm going to drive it around a bit before posting my impressions but so far so good, worth every penny. They even surprised my very skeptical mini technician buddy.

So without further ado:

This is my CMS with the NM springs

This is the after photo with the megans. I dropped it down about 1.75" from the max ride height spec on the Megans.

Oh so shiny!

Stablemates
I know this is really old thread but I noticed the tires and wondered the size, 50 or 55?