Suspension 2012 Countryman S FWD w/ NM Eng Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 PM
misterb
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Countryman S FWD w/ NM Eng Springs

Just had the springs installed on Friday and boy what a world of difference - like night and day. The stocks seemed to be stiffer than the NM's although the NM's seem to be a tad bouncier than stock. I was pleasantly surprised on how good these feel. Haven't had time to hit any back roads yet but will post more on the driving characteristics when I do! I can tell you that there is way less body roll when cornering though.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Shatmepants
1st Gear
That looks absolutely great!

It's interesting that you describe the NMs as being "a tad bouncier". I'm not sure if the springs for the All4 are different, but bouncy isn't how I would describe my wife's car. There is definitely more suspension movement, but the car has never felt bouncy except when we had people in the back and hit some fairly rough road that caused the rear to make contact with the bump stops. With the radical increase in spring rate that the bump stops cause, yes, it got bouncy for just that brief moment, but other than that it's been great. Of course, what one person would describe as bouncy another could describe as something totally different, so please don't think that I am trying to say that you are incorrect in your assessment of the ride quality. We all have different perceptions of things.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:40 AM
misterb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Shatmepants
That looks absolutely great!

It's interesting that you describe the NMs as being "a tad bouncier". I'm not sure if the springs for the All4 are different, but bouncy isn't how I would describe my wife's car. There is definitely more suspension movement, but the car has never felt bouncy except when we had people in the back and hit some fairly rough road that caused the rear to make contact with the bump stops. With the radical increase in spring rate that the bump stops cause, yes, it got bouncy for just that brief moment, but other than that it's been great. Of course, what one person would describe as bouncy another could describe as something totally different, so please don't think that I am trying to say that you are incorrect in your assessment of the ride quality. We all have different perceptions of things.
Four people in the car this weekend and I was a rear passenger - it is DEFINITELY bouncy in the rear. Riding solo up front in the driver's seat is not bouncy. No matter you describe your car, I know what bouncy is in mine and it is what it is. In no way do I take anything away from NM and have no regrets but it is bouncier than stock.

To further clarify - the bounciness applies only when hitting bumps or uneven parts in the road, which in my my area is about 75% of all existing roads LOL

Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome!!
Can you tell me where you got them from and how much they run?
Also how much was it to get them installed.
These will definitely be next on my list.
Thanks for the info.....

Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM
misterb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by magpullin
Awesome!!
Can you tell me where you got them from and how much they run?
Also how much was it to get them installed.
These will definitely be next on my list.
Thanks for the info.....
Ordered the springs direct from www.nm-eng.com and paid $249 + tax cause i live in california but shipping was free. I paid $360 for the install that included a front and rear wheel alignment. Be sure to call around though cause some places were asking $650 for the labor and alignment only. I found my shop on yelp and it had good reviews.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Shatmepants
1st Gear
Misterb, I apologize if my commments made you feel as though I was discounting your assessment of your car's ride quality. That was not my intention at all. It just sounds as if your car and my wife's car have somewhat different ride qualities and I was just curious as to why.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
misterb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Shatmepants
Misterb, I apologize if my commments made you feel as though I was discounting your assessment of your car's ride quality. That was not my intention at all. It just sounds as if your car and my wife's car have somewhat different ride qualities and I was just curious as to why.
No offence taken - not sure why they are different but mine isn't bouncy to the point of being annoying or feeling like cut springs. Just bouncier compared to stock - stock seemed like more of a harsh ride. I can say that after taking it for a spin in the hills, the handling of the car is so much better and way less body roll.

Granted I will never race my car or take take it to the track and my below opinions are based on city and back hill roads driving.

Stock springs: too high, somewhat stiff, and too much body roll

NM's: sits just right, softer ride but a tad bit bouncier than stock when sitting in the back, and minimal body roll

Old 01-18-2012, 05:38 PM
magpullin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by misterb
Ordered the springs direct from www.nm-eng.com and paid $249 + tax cause i live in california but shipping was free. I paid $360 for the install that included a front and rear wheel alignment. Be sure to call around though cause some places were asking $650 for the labor and alignment only. I found my shop on yelp and it had good reviews.
Thanks for the info. Will post some pics and my experience when I get them done.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM
misterb
1st Gear
Quick update - had to take a same day return trip to Reno, NV from Milpitas, CA - about 250 miles each way. I could not be happier with my Countryman and springs. It poured rain about 75 miles of the trip and had mild rain for about 100 miles and I have no complaints - the car handled as I expected.... stuck to the road and the ride was never harsh although still slightly bouncy on the bigger bumps.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 AM
hor_fun
1st Gear
this is a pic of nm spring installed together with my new oz wheel

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Countryman S FWD w/ NM Eng Springs-singapore-20120126-00516.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM
misterb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hor_fun
Nice ride - looking to upgrade my wheels too after winter

Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
It looks Soooo much better lowered

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-04-2012, 03:02 PM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hor_fun
Looks old skool with the OZ's, me likey.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:06 PM
hor_fun
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
Looks old skool with the OZ's, me likey.
thanks!!! actually it was the only wheel they had on hand so i just took the jump. 'dont really like waiting for things'...

but im glad it turned out right.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 PM
sgmini2
1st Gear
What kind of places install these?

DO i need to find mini specific shop?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Anyone try these on 18" wheels with 225/50 tires (as opposed to 225/45)? I don't mind how high the R60 sits on stock tires and springs, but do not like the excessive gap between the top of the tire and bottom of the wheel well.

Was thinking of getting 225/50 tires instead of 225/45, and maybe lowering it slightly with aftermarket springs. But I am afraid the combo might be overkill and put the well too close to the tire. Thoughts?