Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Megan Coilovers, or Koni Yellows and TSW springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:11 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Megan Coilovers, or Koni Yellows and TSW springs?

Hey guys, title pretty much says it all. My stock, squishy suspension has about 30,000 miles on it now, and I will have a little surplus cash coming up, so I'm thinking about doing it right.

It's a daily driver, no track or autocross and not likely to see any. I drive it year round, although we get very little winter here.

It seems like for the cost of Konis and a set of TSW springs, I could just as easily get a set of Megan coilovers. I don't really need the adjustability. I would like to lower, probably no more than an inch. I just want to get rid of body roll and improve the ride and cornering capability.

Has anyone tried both? Will I need to get control arms either way if I'm lowering, or I can I get away without it if I don't go TOO low?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:53 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
The Koni is a much better damper, which is the most important part of the system IMO.

The advantages the Megans have are height adjustment and much firmer springs. If that's important to you than they could be a good option, but Konis with a good set of springs will be much more livable in terms of durability and ride quality.

I run Konis with Tein H-techs, a 19mm rear swaybar, IE fixed camber plates, rear control arms, and a few other toppings. I'm very happy. Minimal drop, but great ride quality and performance. I'd still prefer this set-up on the track because it's very easy to drive quickly and easily controlled, and still doesn't have much body roll. Mid-corner bumps don't upset the chassis, which could be a problem with poorly valved Megans with little travel. Megans are firmer so it may feel faster on a smooth track.

I have not tried the TSW springs but many reviews are positive. The new Swifts are an interesting option, but the rates are firm. I don't know of anyone that has tried them with Konis. I like my h-techs but there is very little drop. Frankly there isn't much else out there worth a crap IMO.

- Andrew

Old 09-11-2011, 08:58 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Thanks for the reply! I really don't know much about suspension, spring rates and so forth, so it's a tough decision to make. Everyone with the Koni Yellows seem to be very happy with them. My main objective is to get rid of the body roll and stiffen up the ride. A lower stance would be cool but is only a secondary concern.

How low do you have to go before control arms are necessary?

Old 09-11-2011, 10:06 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
I might be in the minority, but adjustable control arms have an advantage at even stock height. The OEM alignment leaves much to be desired. Plus we've seen some OEM arms break which isn't fun. But if you have an 2005 or 2006 that have the adjustable standard arms you might have enough room to get a good setting with a mild drop.

meb58 had Megans and can give you some feedback.

- Andrew

Old 09-12-2011, 02:38 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-pictures.html

check that out. I have had a few customers on NAM love these coilovers.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
^ Do you have the spring rates on these? I'd like them more with linear springs but that can be fixed....

Old 09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Progressive Front and 230lb/inch rear

Old 09-12-2011, 03:10 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Thanks.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
No problem. Let me know if you have anymore questions

Old 09-12-2011, 03:28 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Thanks, I like the stance of that OP's ride, looks good. Price is in the range I'm considering too, and free shipping is a bonus. Does that include shipping to Canada?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:45 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
What is your postal code? I can give you highly discounted shipping rates.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 PM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
If what you're doing is some daily driving and some canyoning, honestly I feel that the Konis and TSW springs will be enough. You'll have the added convenience of rebound adjustment and a lifetime warranty (unlike the ST coilovers, which only has height adjustment and a 5 year warranty). They're great shocks. That being said, overall the STs should be cheaper then Koni Yellows and TSW springs, and you'll have the option of adjusting the ride height to whatever it is you want.

Listen to andyroo though when he talks about valving. If that's crappy, you'll likely be an unhappy camper. In that regard, I'd probably pass on the Megans. That being said, the STs are made by KW so you may not have to worry if you went that route. Rebound adjustment is always nice though. I guess it boils down to what you feel is more important: ride height adjustability or a lifetime warranty and rebound adjustment? Just my two cents

Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
MaverickGun brings up very good points. If your wanting a kit for height adjustment with set rebounding then ST is your fit as they will improve your ride and handling.

KW V2s get you into height adjustment and rebound but the price of course goes up.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:56 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
This is such a complicated decision! Haha. Height adjustment would be nice, I could slam it in the summer and raise it in the winter. I will have to do more homework regarding the STs I guess. Money is certainly a factor, and if I thought I could get away with it long-term, I'd just cheap out and get new springs. However, I'd like to do it right once, but without breaking the bank.

Thanks very much for the input, and please keep it coming everyone if you can!

TheSuspensionSource: PM sent and received, that's pretty good!

Originally Posted by MaverickGun
If what you're doing is some daily driving and some canyoning, honestly I feel that the Konis and TSW springs will be enough. You'll have the added convenience of rebound adjustment and a lifetime warranty (unlike the ST coilovers, which only has height adjustment and a 5 year warranty). They're great shocks. That being said, overall the STs should be cheaper then Koni Yellows and TSW springs, and you'll have the option of adjusting the ride height to whatever it is you want.

Listen to andyroo though when he talks about valving. If that's crappy, you'll likely be an unhappy camper. In that regard, I'd probably pass on the Megans. That being said, the STs are made by KW so you may not have to worry if you went that route. Rebound adjustment is always nice though. I guess it boils down to what you feel is more important: ride height adjustability or a lifetime warranty and rebound adjustment? Just my two cents

Old 09-12-2011, 03:57 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Oh ya and boo on the warranty offered by Megan!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:00 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
If money is an issue like it is with everyone just keep saving. I don't know how many times I have personally pulled the trigger too soon on my own vehicles and ended up paying twice as much.

Just get what you want the first time. The ST kits come with a 5 year warranty unlike Megans 1 year. A few of my customers slam their coilovers in the summer and raise em back up for the winter. Adjusting can be a pain but seems like most swap tires at the same time so everything is open and easy to get to.

Shoot any questions you have my way. I know you'd be happy with either ST or KW.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Thanks very much! My budget for this is around $1000. Just waiting for some free grant money to arrive in the mail and I'm allocating that much of it for my suspension. What's the price/performance difference between the ST and the KW?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Thanks very much! My budget for this is around $1000. Just waiting for some free grant money to arrive in the mail and I'm allocating that much of it for my suspension. What's the price/performance difference between the ST and the KW?

ST and KW are made in the same factory. The ST kit has different housing and warranty.

The KW kits have a stainless steel body and limited lifetime warranty. Depending on the model KW kit the features will vary. But based on your budget the KW is closer to $2,000.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:17 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Ahh, got it. Well, I'll do my homework and consider my options. I'll drop you a line if I have any questions. Thanks

Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
ATXZJ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Ahh, got it. Well, I'll do my homework and consider my options. I'll drop you a line if I have any questions. Thanks
I'd do JCW coils, yellows, LCAs, and some camber plates.

Marcus

Last edited by ATXZJ; 09-12-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
If I get the ST coilovers, will I need camber plates and LCAs as well, provided I keep the drop around 1"?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM
TheSuspensionSource
Former Vendor
The ST/KW coilovers are designed for factory suspension so those items are NOT needed. The only thing you will need is wheel spacers.

The camber plates and LCA are solely up to you.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
I'd say the IE fixed camber plates are a must for any gen 1 Mini anyway, regardless of your other mods.

Prevent mushrooming, more durable topmount, and awesome handling improvement. Only other alternative would be much more expensive adjustable plates, which aren't needed for a street car.

- andrew

Old 09-13-2011, 12:01 PM
ATXZJ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by andyroo
I'd say the IE fixed camber plates are a must for any gen 1 Mini anyway, regardless of your other mods.

Prevent mushrooming, more durable topmount, and awesome handling improvement. Only other alternative would be much more expensive adjustable plates, which aren't needed for a street car.

- andrew
Agree on the IE fixed plates. Be aware, they will add about 3/8" to the ride height.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 PM
nopistons
3rd Gear
I have both the Koni Yellows and TSW springs. The Koni Yellows are awesome, I definitely would recommend those. However, If I were to do it again I probably would not buy the TSW springs, mainly due to it lifting the front end. They are actually GREAT when it comes to both handling and comfort, but I didn't expect my front end to be lifted higher than stock. I am also running the IE fixed camber plates, so I know that added to the height, but come on, they advertise a 3/4 drop up front. I wouldn't even be that disapointed if the ride height stayed the same as stock with the camber plates.

If I could take time back, I would probably go with the Tein H-techs in hopes for an even, yet mild drop. However, if I was in your position I would wait for the Swift springs. They seem the most promising.

The IE fixed camber plates help to increase front traction so I would recommend those, however I don't think you will need the rear control arms if you keep the drop to an inch or less since you have a 2006 with the OEM adjustable arms.

Quick Reply: Suspension Megan Coilovers, or Koni Yellows and TSW springs?