Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 PM
retrogrouch
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You know what those torn mounts look like? I've seen this several times on Subaru Imprezas when people install the top mounts incorrectly with an inverted OEM conical washer. Basically the washer acts as an interface between the inner bearing face (the part that rotates) and the upper spring perch. It allows the upper spring perch to rotate freely. However, installing it upside down puts the large diameter side against the outer edge of the bearing race, the part that doesn't rotate. So the strut assembly rotates the entire rubber piece, respectively, twists it rather than rotating on the bearing. What you get is torn rubber mounts after a few thousand miles.

is there some kind of washer on the mini that mounts in between the bearing of the top hat and the upper spring perch?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM
FIZGIG
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My mechanic has been chasing this clunking sound for 2 days and all his shop did was grease or tighten the obvious then they replaced the strut mount bearings that were actually for a bmw like the earlier posts stated but my problem still remains and happens when I take off and brake sometimes. I have IE plates with koni yellows so with my mechanic being totally stumped anyone have any ideas what the problem might be lmk. Oh yeah I had to pay my mechanic over $800 dollars for his crew to perform a process of elimination. REALLY? My mechanic is great when it comes to factory equipment but is not ready for the Mini Cooper aftermarket world. Help please.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:56 AM
DiHydro
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lizandrooo
I have my IE fixed camber plates and all is dandy except for one thing. I had bought the Craven strut tower defenders and when I was installing the larger lug adapters to the skinny strut tower mounts from the IE Camber Plate, I over torqued the lug and ended up poping off a stem from the IE Camber plate!!!!! Anyone know if this is an easy fix & what size stem I should get ? I get the impression that it could turn into an easy home depot fix from the looks of it but not 100% sure. Anyone ?
This happened to me, but I didn't over-torque it. I was using a torque wrench set to 25 ft/lbs and it just popped off the stud.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:45 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by retrogrouch
You know what those torn mounts look like? I've seen this several times on Subaru Imprezas when people install the top mounts incorrectly with an inverted OEM conical washer. Basically the washer acts as an interface between the inner bearing face (the part that rotates) and the upper spring perch. It allows the upper spring perch to rotate freely. However, installing it upside down puts the large diameter side against the outer edge of the bearing race, the part that doesn't rotate. So the strut assembly rotates the entire rubber piece, respectively, twists it rather than rotating on the bearing. What you get is torn rubber mounts after a few thousand miles.

is there some kind of washer on the mini that mounts in between the bearing of the top hat and the upper spring perch?
A very old thread, but you are pointing out the less than obvious. This explains all those with clunking and cracked rubber.