Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Anyone got Bilstein Shocks on their R56 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
JENGLAND
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just keep wondering where tvrgeek keeps finding these Sports at. I have talked with Bilstein and they told me they do not make Sports for the R56. I wish he would show me where he is finding them at.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:43 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sports are LISTED on Bilstein's WEB. I bought HD's.
Note that Turner Motorsport WEB page says "Sports" but what came were HD's.

Knowing how firm HD's are, I would no go Sports, I would do PSS10's instead.

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (02-27-2021)
Old 05-28-2010, 01:34 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Bilsteins and NM springs installed! Test drove and thought I was in a different mini.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Future, what does that "different" mean? Can you provide some charstics on how it changes wheel bopunce over bumps, bump steer, turn in dynamics etc? I am thinking the stock springs are still too stiff and would consider the progressive NM's even though they lower the car, IF I was sure it was the correct move. I am afraid the justa springs are too soft.

With stock springs, it helped, say 80 to 90%, but seems still too stiff. I did notice I was driving quicker. Confidence feedback I guess. More "planted". It still will jump on some corners. It has been a week, so I am pretty used to them. Tomorrow I go on some roads I know well as a really tough test. We'll see.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Jonny Crisp
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B12's or HD's?

Great that this thread just appeared...

Was chatting to my mechanic and I mentioned that someone had recommended PSS10's. He told me I don't really need them as I don't track my car. He said that I should get Bilstein PSS B12 but that these lowered the car by 30mm.

My questions are:
  1. Is 30mm considered a lot? Will I be bottoming out or is it an acceptable drop?
  2. How much better than stock will they be in everyday driving? Which areas are liable to improve?
  3. Are the B12's better than the HD's mentioned previously. If I buy the HD's do I need new springs or can the old ones be reused?
  4. Advantages and disadvantages of the two B12or HD
I know there are a lot of questions but I would be grateful for some help. Living in Taiwan my Chinese isn't great, so I like to have as much info as I can before I risk someone tearing my car apart!!

Thanks

Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
We never officially got the Bilstein PSS here in the US unfortunately (as far as I know). My guess is that it's a very good kit, but no idea first hand. They are a height adjustable coilover (includes springs) with non-adjustable damping. The Bilstein HD is not height adjustable and you could reuse the stock springs. The HDs would be a nice easy simple solution, but I'd be really tempted to try the PSS kit.

- Andrew

Old 06-01-2010, 12:34 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
I have the stock S springs on the Bilstein HD's. Everything fit as if it was factory. After a couple of weekends, I think the spring/shock is about right and will be moving on to tires and decamber. I HIGHLY recommend the HD's if you want a marginally too stiff car. About the only thing stopping me from the PSS10's was that I really did not want to lower the car.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:41 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
^ Got your PM from a little while ago....would definitely like a ride but have been super busy. Hopefully soon.

- Andrew

Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Hi tvr,
The biggest change I noticed was hitting the expansion joints on bridges and misaligned concrete roads. I had one section of highway where this one expansion joint would cause the mini to hop everytime I hit it. It was on a sweeping curve and would give you that split second of "oh crap" when you went over the joint. The mini would hop and then grab again. It does not do that at all anymore. The other big thing I noticed was that I don't feel the sharp impacts of the bumps anymore. I think all of this is because the suspension is now under what feels like "better control". I know it doesn't make sense but the car has the firm ride like my Sport suspension but a better ride. The mini seems more responsive now and just drives better. Would have been interesting to see how the sport springs would have done with the Bilsteins. I really like the ride with the NM springs.....firm but not as harsh on intial impacts. I can actually live with the runflats until they wear out now. I know the tires will make another big change in the ride quality and handling. Of course everyone has different ideas on what they like as far as ride quality goes. Me.... I am much happier with the NM springs and Bilstein shocks than with the Sport suspension I had on.

Originally Posted by tvrgeek
Future, what does that "different" mean? Can you provide some charstics on how it changes wheel bopunce over bumps, bump steer, turn in dynamics etc? I am thinking the stock springs are still too stiff and would consider the progressive NM's even though they lower the car, IF I was sure it was the correct move. I am afraid the justa springs are too soft.

With stock springs, it helped, say 80 to 90%, but seems still too stiff. I did notice I was driving quicker. Confidence feedback I guess. More "planted". It still will jump on some corners. It has been a week, so I am pretty used to them. Tomorrow I go on some roads I know well as a really tough test. We'll see.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 PM
TheLex
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, so many choices. The Bilstein PSS system looks nice but it's way over $2k. H&R's system is 1/2 of that. What's the difference?

And Bilstein shocks with NM springs? How does one mix and match since the two products are from different companies with possibly mismatched rates?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 AM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the PSS10's coming in this week. Should have them installed next week and then be ready to go. I will report back then.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Jonny Crisp
2nd Gear
Thanks Andyroo

Another quickie. How will a 30mm drop effect the camber. Will I need camber plates?

Last edited by Jonny Crisp; 06-02-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 AM
fynetune
1st Gear
I HAVE THE COILOVER SYSTEM AND THEY WORK GREAT!!!!!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Originally Posted by andyroo
^ Got your PM from a little while ago....would definitely like a ride but have been super busy. Hopefully soon.

- Andrew
Me too. I have not forgotten.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jonny Crisp
Thanks Andyroo

Another quickie. How will a 30mm drop effect the camber. Will I need camber plates?
You won't need camber plates up front, though i would recommend the free camber mod. Makes the car a lot more fun to drive and it's still not very much camber so tire wear is not an issue.

Post #44 in this thread has good pics:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ustment-2.html

For the rear, adjustable rear control arms might be a good idea. Not sure for the R56.

- Andrew

Old 06-05-2010, 08:03 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
The more I live with the HD's the more I am convinced they are the correct parts.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:14 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
...agreed!

Originally Posted by tvrgeek
The more I live with the HD's the more I am convinced they are the correct parts.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 AM
chilimini81
2nd Gear
FYI...Bavauto.com has the full set of Bilstein HD's for R56 at $413.00 shipped!!!

I was originally going to install my new Mach V springs on the stock sport shocks, but now I might just have to reconsider and get these. What do you all think?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:52 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
I would not hesitate a second, even at the higher price I paid. The OEM shocks have way too much rebound.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:09 AM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wrx_xb9r
I have the PSS10's coming in this week. Should have them installed next week and then be ready to go. I will report back then.
Any report on the PSS10's????

Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
I have had the PSS10's on the car since last night. Maybe 25 miles so far. I really noticed a smoother ride immediately on the highway. I have them set at maximum height so just 1/2" drop which looks great IMO. The compression dampening is perfect but the rebound is a bit stiff. I need to play with the adjustments to find what I am happy with.

Also added at Hotchkis Competition rear sway bar and rear control arms at the same time. The car is much more stable into the couple of fast corners and square corners I have been able to drive so far.

I am happy and will need just a bit of fine tuning to make it perfect.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
etalj
6th Gear
I have had the PSS10's on the car since last night. Maybe 25 miles so far. I really noticed a smoother ride immediately on the highway. I have them set at maximum height so just 1/2" drop which looks great IMO. The compression dampening is perfect but the rebound is a bit stiff. I need to play with the adjustments to find what I am happy with.

Also added at Hotchkis Competition rear sway bar and rear control arms at the same time. The car is much more stable into the couple of fast corners and square corners I have been able to drive so far.

Do you know what the spring rates are?

Old 06-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Graham Hill
Banned
think very soft spring

Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM
kunishi
1st Gear
Hi Guys, I'm planning to get the Bilstein HD's in a few months. Since i only want a minimal drop I was planning to experiment with the factory JCW springs from the sport kit and Bilstein HD's. Has anyone tried this combination, if not, what do you folks think?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 PM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear

Thanks for the update. I am looking at getting PSS10's fitted and corner weighted, Hotchkis Competition bar and just waiting on the control arms which are on order.

Got the full Milltek turbo back, JCW Brembo Brakes and OZ Ultraleggera Wheels with non run flat tyres.

Hopefully it will be a different animal with all that fitted and be better on UK roads.

Quick Reply: Suspension Anyone got Bilstein Shocks on their R56 yet?