Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension BC Coilovers and JIC/Cross Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
GOTCURVES
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I was looking for Ninjlo!

Thanks

Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perfect! Exactly what I was hoping you would write - accomodating the change in dynamic and static roll center.

When I modified my very first car, a 1981 Ford Fiests, the folks in England developed a few components for the front end to help retain roll center and center of gravity relationships. I didn't understand back the, but it was advised I install them on a "just trust us" basis.

Originally Posted by ninjlao
I really dont understand the question you asking, but Ill try my best, there is a little of slop with the suspension as you drop the car, for example small bump steers. Usually its not a problem at all, in fact most people dont even notice it.
But in all of my cars that I do compete with, I make products called roll center adjusters. Usually its a spacer that goes in between the lower control arm and the hub. That puts the suspension geometry back into shape. I have not done that for my mini yet, but Ill see what I can figure out.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any consensus on the steering tie rods' geometry after the control arm spacers?

Old 11-04-2008, 12:30 PM
meb
6th Gear
I left the specific questions out since he is observing RC movement...but! The location of the rack and tie rods should be part of the evaluation...

Last edited by meb; 11-04-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:58 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Actually I dont really mess with the steering rack that much on most cars, mostly because there isnt enough space on the mount of most cars that I drive to invert them, but if there is space for modification like on an RSX that I track we created this piece that inverts the tierod ends. (Inverted tie rod ends.) The tie rods on most cars bolt up to the bottom of the hub. but we just made little heim joints that inverts it so that it bolts to the top of the hub. It was a pretty simple fix.
Once again, something like this I really couldnt even feel a difference but at least it put back the suspension into place.

I can somehow draw a picture and point out where they go for those of you guys that dont really understand what im talking about.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
That's the reason I asked too. I know that with many VW's they invert them as well once the geometry is changed by lowering. Correcting all of the geometry is my next step so I've just been trying to see how others feel about it.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
On the R53 you can raise the steering rack with spacers and longer high-grade bolts up to 5/8" before the universal joint starts binding with the steering wheel positioned full-down in the cockpit. I don't think there's any more room to raise it more without bumping into other bits. The MINI is very sensitive to steering drag link misalignment. With one pivot end only 1/4" misaligned it gives the car a very pronounced bump-steer profile along with awkward mid-corner bump steer reactions. You'll have to trust me on this one, I learned the hard way [and had to re-remove the front subframe to re-space the steering rack to fix the alignment].

Back on topic; I run BC coilovers with Swift springs. The BC's IMO were sub-par with the included springs, and they are quite effective for track work with the Swift springs. Their dampers feel linear [not digressive as I prefer], and the adjustment **** ties compression and rebound, so you're kinda stuck with whatever their curves are after matching spring rates to rebound, but the result is very effective on most track surfaces for HPDE fun.

I appreciate the info ninjlao is trying to portray, that you get what you pay for, however to be fair the budget unfortunately does come into play for most of us. The $1500 BC+Swift solution is far from ideal for competitve racing.....but I would guess 99% of us here aren't racing competitively. If I had $5k for dampers I'd love to get better curves with more tunability, but that's not going to happen until I get a big juicy raise [if Detroit doesn't implode]. Rally is mainly into slammed vee-dub cruising, and some of us use our MINI's as dual-purpose fast-street and HPDE cars, but most here are simply enjoying their cars on the road and don't need a 4-way Moton setup. In the end the dampers are there to satisfy the drivers chassis transitional preferences, where the springs and swaybars are the ones that dictate steady-state cornering prowess. Both do work together [hopefully] to create the perfect package for that driver, application, and budget.

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 11-04-2008, 10:41 PM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
I'm still lost I need to drop my car 2 inches. I'm looking into Stance coilovers now. The KW V'1s just wont work for me due to coloring. With all this knowledge about coilovers you guys have please tell me anything you know about Stance

http://enjukuracing.com/stance-coilo...06-p-7813.html

Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 4Boogie
I'm still lost I need to drop my car 2 inches.
The cross will get you that low

Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
The H&R will get you that low too

Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Nearly every coilover will be able to lower you 2 inches. That's only half an inch more drop than springs....

It's the ones that lower more than that that allow you the slammed stance like Dopamine's.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 PM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
well I do want my car like his so what could I buy besides KW's

Old 11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
will Stance do it?

Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 PM
scolburn79
4th Gear
Stance only goes down 2 inches, which is fine for me. I am getting alot more info as we speak so hopefully I can enlighten you soon.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:00 AM
justintime
6th Gear
can you post your cars ninjlao? or pm them to me? :D sounds like you have a cool collection

Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
HAHA OK Ill start with my track cars.

The AE86 (my favorite) The car is white now and looks better (painted it with spraycans), these pics are from 2 years ago. Ill post updated pics later.
I have gone through about 4 engines on this car now. And I am currently dropping in a new engine as I am typing to you now. Have another event late this month.

the S2000

RX8 (for just a short while)

the cars together. Sold the Skyline though.

Theres a few more but I dont really think is necessary to post up the pics for

Civic SI 2007
2000 Subaru Impreza GC8

Last edited by ninjlao; 11-05-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:24 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Ill post up the Mini when im done with the car.

Im also working on another project which is a 240sx for time attack.(no need for pictures)

But here is my daily driver that I dont mean to be a showoff about but am a proud owner of. (if you dont know what it is don't worry about it JDM fanboys only I guess)
2001 Silvia

Last edited by ninjlao; 11-05-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:11 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Whoa, ninjlao, what a cool collection! And you do seem to be a JDM lover just like myself with all those Japanese cars, the AE86 is a mith especially for drifting, then there's the Skyline (pity you sold it though ). I really like the RX8 too, too bad it doesn't perform as well as the RX7 at least not as power goes.

And then the S2000 and the S15 Silvia that are absolutely my favourites of your collection, I just wish I could buy one of those but the S15 has never been brought here to Italy, I would have to ship one from Japan or some other country it was imported to to have it, and the S2000 is still too pricey for me, but one day, one day...

Just a question, is the S15 RHD or LHD? I've only seen the RHD version of it till now...

Old 11-05-2008, 02:17 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Yes it is RHD. I brought the Skyline and the s15 both over from Japan. They were never made in the US either. In fact if you look at the very last picture of the s15, there is blue car. That is also imported from japan but is a british car. Its called a TVR Griffith, which I actually posted up for sale on this forum but I think was taken down. Anyways its sold now but that is also RHD.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:39 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Ah, TVR, yes, I know of their cars.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Ahhh that Silvia is nice man. Post pics of the GC8 pleeeaassseee.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
I try to work on every kind of car possible so this was supposed to me my 4WD beast, but my friend just bought another Subaru so I'm going to sell this one. Just have bolt on parts (header, intake, exhaust) And of course the suspension is completely done. (coilover, swift springs, swift swaybars, polybushing, anti-lift kit, the works)

Old 11-05-2008, 03:25 PM
james f
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ninjlao
Yes it is RHD. I brought the Skyline and the s15 both over from Japan. They were never made in the US either. In fact if you look at the very last picture of the s15, there is blue car. That is also imported from japan but is a british car. Its called a TVR Griffith, which I actually posted up for sale on this forum but I think was taken down. Anyways its sold now but that is also RHD.
wow i didnt know anyone had bought a tiv over to the states i almost swapped the cooper for a chimera last year but the insurance was 3k GBP

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini

Well I had it posted here. And it was taken down after an hour because it wasn't mini oriented.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Anyways back to suspensions.
The stance suspension for the mini uses the stock top mounts is what I was just told when I spoke to the rep. Those would have been a pretty decent setup too.

Quick Reply: Suspension BC Coilovers and JIC/Cross Coilovers