Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension BC Coilovers and JIC/Cross Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay then!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was originally looking to get the CROSS, but the price was too much to swallow on daily driver justacoopa. I went with the BC instead and have no regrets.

Also, COR BLMY has a fantastic write up to install them and make the neccessary modifications to the front to adjust camber easily, and to the rear so you don't have to remove the shock to adjust it.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:30 PM
justintime
6th Gear
damn, I may just try to get rid of the pss9 for those stance, they look worth taking a stab at

Old 10-29-2008, 10:40 PM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
how good are Megan coilovers? Thats what Dopamine runs on his car. I plan on getting them $840 http://store.nationalspeedinc.com/gr...ducts_id=52737

Old 10-29-2008, 10:43 PM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
Old 10-29-2008, 11:06 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
The Megans are rebranded BC Racing coilovers, but I seem to remmber they had some issues in the past that never happened with the BCs, so I'd go with the original

Old 10-30-2008, 02:32 AM
scolburn79
4th Gear
I do have to say that the stance ones look good as well. But the same thing, they look identical to the BC's, Cross. It's just so hard to make the right decision as it is a bit of money to waste if you buy the wrong ones!!

Old 10-30-2008, 03:04 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Well, I never heard bad things about the BCs. I've never heard bad things about the Cross either, but they cost more than twice the BCs!! considering that I'm not going to track my car everyday, I'm pretty sure the BCs will be good enough for me Stance, I didn't hear anything about them, but I'm sure they are good, still they cost more than the BCs offering the basically the same. Maybe having only 15 adjustement positions may make it easier to find the right one, but is this worth over 300 $?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:24 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdriver85
Well, I never heard bad things about the BCs. I've never heard bad things about the Cross either, but they cost more than twice the BCs!! considering that I'm not going to track my car everyday, I'm pretty sure the BCs will be good enough for me Stance, I didn't hear anything about them, but I'm sure they are good, still they cost more than the BCs offering the basically the same. Maybe having only 15 adjustement positions may make it easier to find the right one, but is this worth over 300 $?
I would have to say that the coilovers you want to buy will really depend on how you're going to use them. If you're going to track/autoX go for the CROSS. If you're going to see some moderate track time I'd say go for the Stance. If you're not going to be seeing much track time go for the BCs. Just because coilovers look the same doesn't mean they perform the same. Hell, technically our OEM suspension is classified as a coilover. The things that matter are the piston size, if all four are going to be inverted monotube instead of just the fronts or the rears, and the quality of the shock oil used in the coilover.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:35 PM
scolburn79
4th Gear
The stance ones are both front and back inverted monotube and the rears are adjustable from the bottom of the strut, which is a huge plus for me. I don't want to have to rip my interior to cut holes, that's just stupid I think. I think I am going to go the stance Coilovers, just gotta find a good source to buy them off now Thanks guys for all your input, I know everyone has their own opinions and you just have to take what you think is right from them. My car will only do the occasional track day, when I get time.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:12 AM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
www.nationalspeedinc.com these guys carry Stance products. They dont have them on their site for Mini's but if you call them they will get you some. I'm getting all my work done there. I'm getting the Megan coilovers cause I wont be tracking at all just want a slammed mini on 18's

Old 11-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Boogie
www.nationalspeedinc.com these guys carry Stance products. They dont have them on their site for Mini's but if you call them they will get you some. I'm getting all my work done there. I'm getting the Megan coilovers cause I wont be tracking at all just want a slammed mini on 18's
Realize that you won't be able to go as low as dopamine did on his megans. He has the first version of the coilovers and they have since been changed numerous times and no longer go as low as they used to.

Anyone looking for true slam abilities should look into coilovers like the KW V1's

Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 AM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
just when I think i know what I want....the guy at National Speed tried to sell me the KW 's but when asked Dope what he was running. I'm really confused about what to do now. This will prolly sound a little rediculous but I dont really dig the yellow and purple coloring in the KW's. I'm trying to build a show car with a black and red theme. The Megans would match along with Cross. What to do what to do?????

Old 11-01-2008, 01:44 AM
scolburn79
4th Gear
I know the Stance ones go down 2 inches from stock. KW's go down very low, you could drop it on the ground if you wanted to!!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
just when I think i know what I want....the guy at National Speed tried to sell me the KW 's but when asked Dope what he was running. I'm really confused about what to do now. This will prolly sound a little rediculous but I dont really dig the yellow and purple coloring in the KW's. I'm trying to build a show car with a black and red theme. The Megans would match along with Cross. What to do what to do?????
It's up to you. I was just giving the warning because I get PM's always asking how to get as low as my car was and I had the same Megan coilovers that Dope had. The Megans still kinda go low...just not as low so I didn't want you to be disappointed when you got them.

In terms of color at the shows. Unless you plan on removing one of the wheels and using those wheel display plates....no one will be able to see the red parts of the Megans. They're usually tucked too deep under the car or up in the strut tower.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:51 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
I completely understand you on the colors. I will accept some combination of black red and silver/aluminum. Yellow, green, purple, gold, etc. just don't make the cut for me. Not ridiculous at all

Old 11-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I'd rather have a teeny tiny purple perch peeking out way behind my wheel than having super ugly wheel gap (especially on big 18s).

If it's a true show car, it'd be worth it to grab the KW's and just take the perches to be painted/anodized/powdercoated to red or whatever other color you needed. That way it would match your scheme and you would be able to have a show-worthy stance as well.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:32 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
The Megans are rebranded BC Racing coilovers.....
completely wrong

Old 11-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Chase
4th Gear
Originally Posted by justintime
damn, I may just try to get rid of the pss9 for those stance, they look worth taking a stab at
I know. Now i want them too

Old 11-01-2008, 10:45 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Originally Posted by flyboy2160
completely wrong
That's what I knew

Old 11-01-2008, 11:21 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
If you're going to be running 18's AND you're going to participate in car shows, you will more than likely be disappointed in the amount of drop you will get on the front from the present day Megan's/BC's. I was able to get a 1.5 inch drop "at best" with the Megan's and that was with the collars spun all the way down and sitting on top of each other. Running with the system slammed all the way down then caused problems in other areas !

If you want to be able to drop 2 inches and more, than you will need to go a different route. KW is certainly one brand that will give you that kind of drop. I myself went with a set of Cross coilover's ! They are considerably more expensive then some other set ups but in my case, they were worth every penny !

[

Old 11-01-2008, 11:37 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Has anyone tried the Stance and can give feedback on how much they lower, how easy they are to install (I know BCs require trimming of the strut tower holes to allow the camber plates bolts to be reached when you need to adjust them) and the quality of the ride on street?

Old 11-01-2008, 08:04 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
The strut towers "do not" need to be trimmed !

Has anyone tried the Stance and can give feedback on how much they lower, how easy they are to install (I know BCs require trimming of the strut tower holes to allow the camber plates bolts to be reached when you need to adjust them) and the quality of the ride on street?

Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=ninjlao;2534832]I would have to say that the coilovers you want to buy will really depend on how you're going to use them. If you're going to track/autoX go for the CROSS.If you're not going to be seeing much track time go for the BCs.

Wait who is this ???

I track, SOLO 1, and auto X, on the BCs .. what series are YOU running ???

Originally Posted by flyboy2160
completely wrong
BC IS the mfg they do make other units to STATED specifications ...

The BC BR Series... SURPASS any of the clients that have them branded !!!
To their own spec

Last edited by COR BLMY; 11-01-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pauliekeys
The strut towers "do not" need to be trimmed !
you mean on the BCs or on the Stance? I saw COR's write-up on the BC install and it was stated you needed to cut the strut tower holes to allow clearance for the camber plates bolts otherwise you wouldn't be able to reach them...

Quick Reply: Suspension BC Coilovers and JIC/Cross Coilovers