North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension-69/)
-   -   Suspension BC Coilovers and JIC/Cross Coilovers (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/156812-bc-coilovers-and-jic-cross-coilovers.html)

scolburn79 10-24-2008 03:08 PM

BC Coilovers and JIC/Cross Coilovers

What is the difference in them? They look the same so where does the price difference come into it? If you can help that would be great:thumbsup:

oxtox 10-24-2008 04:53 PM

that is a pretty broad question:nod:. you will find many answers in this forum. i have had the bc's for several months and have used them for daily driving, autocross, and track days. i have no complaints. if i had the $, i would have gone cross as they can drop lower than 1 3/4" and have easier rear damping adjustment. now go do some searching!

COR BLMY 10-24-2008 05:02 PM

Don't know about JIC shipping to Aus...

I ship the BCs to any address out of USA (50 state) for a fixed shipping rate of $200 US

Actually Aus gets drop shipped direct from the factory.

Also you may have duty or other fees.
I lived in Aus for 7 years and know that can be a issue.

Or I'll ship for free to a pal of yours in the US...
and they can ship you a "birthday" or "Christmas" present

Shipping would be about the same and perhas no duties.

scolburn79 10-24-2008 05:09 PM

You could always put down a price less than AU$1000:thumbsup:

COR BLMY 10-24-2008 08:59 PM

I would like to make all the Auzzie friends I can ...:thumbsup:

But ... I am sorry my invoice and shipping info will reflect the actual prices.
I prefer to do ALL my business 100% legit.

So ... I claim a lower price / value ... the insurance is also less ....guess what those are the packages that seem to go missing.

scolburn79 10-24-2008 10:37 PM

That's cool, could you tell me what the difference in the 2 suspension systems are as they look identical:thumbsup:

ninjlao 10-25-2008 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by scolburn79 (Post 2524498)
That's cool, could you tell me what the difference in the 2 suspension systems are as they look identical:thumbsup:

CROSS coilovers have a 40mm piston in the front inverted monotube and a 45mm piston in the rear. The CROSS uses a higher quality suspension oil that has a smoother bound/rebound making the car feel more responsive than the BC coilovers. the CROSS can also lower the car 2.5". The BC Racing coilovers would only be better if you're low on budget and don't have the money for the CROSS. If money isn't a problem for you then I would get the CROSS coilovers and get some Swift springs put on them.

If you want better performance than the BC racing but don't want to spend that much for the CROSS i'd go with Stance coilovers. They make some pretty decent stuff as I had a set of their coilovers on my S14 before it got wrecked in an accident. :cry:

MINIdriver85 10-25-2008 02:30 PM

What's the price for the Cross setup from RMW?'

COR BLMY 10-25-2008 03:48 PM

I am not looking for an arguement ...just wanting to put some facts out there.

[quote=ninjlao;2524969]CROSS coilovers have a 40mm piston in the front inverted monotube and a 45mm piston in the rear.

>>> the BC BR use a 46mm piston in a 53 mm body

[quote=ninjlao]The CROSS uses a higher quality suspension oil that has a smoother bound/rebound making the car feel more responsive than the BC coilovers.

>>> the BC has MORE oil (bettter for any shock enviroment) ...I am going to be 100% honest ...not sure of the "quality" ... but have never seen erither spec ???

[quote]the CROSS can also lower the car 2.5".

>>>Yes the BC BR series is NOT the unit for the SLAMed look.
It is intended to give some drop and be a superior suspension!

[quote]The BC Racing coilovers would only be better if you're low on budget and don't have the money for the CROSS. If money isn't a problem for you then I would get the CROSS coilovers and get some Swift springs put on them.

>>>I would be happy to charge MORE if you feel you need more percieved value.
I am of the thought that if the BCs were $500 more I would sell MORE.
But I won't do that to my NAM friends ...I sell for lowest allowed by the importer ...AND will hep with selection, set up, install questions ....MORE

If you want better performance than the BC racing but don't want to spend that much for the CROSS i'd go with Stance coilovers. They make some pretty decent stuff as I had a set of their coilovers on my S14 before it got wrecked in an accident. :cry:

BOTH stance and cross are good choices we are lucky to have many to chose from.

I have YET to have an un happy BC customer ...

They are the manufacturer ... (the also make for others to stated specs)
In their own units the have very high specs and NO middle man.

Great price ... & performance

Rally@StanceDesign 10-25-2008 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by COR BLMY (Post 2525192)

>>>Yes the BC BR series is NOT the unit for the SLAMed look.

The same is true of the CROSS....you can't get the slammed look on them either.

I've still seen no information to back up all the claims that the CROSS's are better than the BC's. If anyone has seen them, I'd appreciate a link as I've been curious to see the numbers :thumbsup:

oxtox 10-25-2008 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by MINIdriver85 (Post 2525108)
What's the price for the Cross setup from RMW?'

i've yet to see a better price than this http://www.altaminiperformance.com/pages/show/82

ninjlao 10-25-2008 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign (Post 2525204)
The same is true of the CROSS....you can't get the slammed look on them either.

I've still seen no information to back up all the claims that the CROSS's are better than the BC's. If anyone has seen them, I'd appreciate a link as I've been curious to see the numbers :thumbsup:

Not trying to start an arguement or anything but what you are saying is essentially that low quality coilovers are on par with high level companies like ASM and Ohlins. If companies like Megan and BC Racing were as good as racing teams I would be curious as to why they don't have track teams that use their suspension..

Rally@StanceDesign 10-25-2008 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ninjlao (Post 2525517)
Not trying to start an arguement or anything but what you are saying is essentially that low quality coilovers are on par with high level companies like ASM and Ohlins.

Huh?:confused: Did you mean to quote me or Blmy? I didn't say anything about them being on par with high level companies or anything. :confused: I never even brought up the performance aspects.

ninjlao 10-25-2008 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign (Post 2525520)
Huh?:confused: Did you mean to quote me or Blmy? I didn't say anything about them being on par with high level companies or anything. :confused: I never even brought up the performance aspects.

I may have misunderstood but it I was talking about this quote

Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
I've still seen no information to back up all the claims that the CROSS's are better than the BC's. If anyone has seen them, I'd appreciate a link as I've been curious to see the numbers

seemed like you were saying that BCs and CROSS are the same level. So apologies if I misunderstood.

Rally@StanceDesign 10-25-2008 10:09 PM

All I was saying is that I personally haven't seen the specs for the CROSS's so I was asking if anyone had a link to them.

ninjlao 10-25-2008 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign (Post 2525535)
All I was saying is that I personally haven't seen the specs for the CROSS's so I was asking if anyone had a link to them.

oh haha well I apologize for that! It's hard to know for sure what people are saying when they make comments cuz it's the internet and not in person! :lol:

COR BLMY 10-25-2008 10:24 PM

The BC suspension is a $1075 TOTAL !

I am not saying thy are the BEST ...ASM and Ohlins..and MANY others are great set ups ... (please remember this is a MINI forum)

If I had a vehicle with another "0" in the price tag ... or into the 100K mark .... I would consider using $5000 + much more expensive suspension.

I have just never been hung up on a BRAND name.

Although one of my future projects that fall into that cat may very well end up with BCs as well.

Come on ... I LOVE my MINI and these units ROCK !
$1000 for ride height adjustable, included camberplates, compression / rebound adjustment. WOW

I will go outy on a limb and state that the BCs will transform a MINI (and many other vehicles) to a point that most drivers will not be able to surpass.

OZChris 10-25-2008 10:33 PM

Theres a guy on eBay Aus selling BC Adjustable Coilover suspension for AU$1160 delivered from NZ.

justintime 10-25-2008 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by ninjlao (Post 2524969)
CROSS coilovers have a 40mm piston in the front inverted monotube and a 45mm piston in the rear. The CROSS uses a higher quality suspension oil that has a smoother bound/rebound making the car feel more responsive than the BC coilovers. the CROSS can also lower the car 2.5". The BC Racing coilovers would only be better if you're low on budget and don't have the money for the CROSS. If money isn't a problem for you then I would get the CROSS coilovers and get some Swift springs put on them.

stance has a setup for the mini? I have seen them for just about everything but the mini :( the only car I have heard good things from them are the s14 and fd :confused:

MINIdriver85 10-26-2008 09:53 AM

Well, I'm pretty oriented on the BCs, have been for months to tell the truth so I'm pretty sure I'll get them, because while Cross might be better (and I seriously hope for their customers that they are, seeing that the price is twice that of the BCs!!) I'm pretty sure BCs will be more than enough for my use of the car, which is mostly street and the occasional track day.

ninjlao 10-26-2008 11:52 AM

I'm not trying to bash BorCuhann or anything I'm just saying that if the OP doesn't have an issue with money then he should get the better setup. I agree that price/performance value the BC is awesome but if money isn't an issue there are better options out there.

Originally Posted by COR BLMY (Post 2525547)
The BC suspension is a $1075 TOTAL !

I am not saying thy are the BEST ...ASM and Ohlins..and MANY others are great set ups ... (please remember this is a MINI forum)

If I had a vehicle with another "0" in the price tag ... or into the 100K mark .... I would consider using $5000 + much more expensive suspension.

I have just never been hung up on a BRAND name.

Although one of my future projects that fall into that cat may very well end up with BCs as well.

Come on ... I LOVE my MINI and these units ROCK !
$1000 for ride height adjustable, included camberplates, compression / rebound adjustment. WOW

I will go outy on a limb and state that the BCs will transform a MINI (and many other vehicles) to a point that most drivers will not be able to surpass.

Here is the link for the Stance GR+ you can see they have the MINI Cooper in the applications list http://www.stance-usa.com/sus/index....d=29&Itemid=42

Originally Posted by justintime (Post 2525571)
stance has a setup for the mini? I have seen them for just about everything but the mini :( the only car I have heard good things from them are the s14 and fd :confused:

MINIdriver85 10-27-2008 12:51 AM

Does anyone have the Stance and can tell us how they are?

bean 10-27-2008 04:58 PM

if price is no object, look at JZR or Motons. if, like most of us, price is a factor, the BC's are good. i have three track-rat buddies that run BC's and have been very happy w/ them for over a year.

meb 10-29-2008 05:31 AM

I work one town away from Danbury, Ct, the home of Farnbacherloles - Porsche racing team. They use Cross on many of their customer cars and are very happy...two years ago Car & DRiver or Road & Track did a piece on one of their project cars which the Cross kit in it - the magazine liked the setup.

Oil is absolutely key and as far as numbers go, you have to look at damping force AND damping curves to understand how a shock will feel. I've pointed this out before; 10 different shocks with the same damping force but with different curves will feel and perform in different ways.

When I purchased my Megans - which are long gone - I brought one of the front struts to the Farnbacherloles Christmas party and compared it with the CROSS...the design principles are the same - the ability to lower the car without affecting damper travel - but from there the CROSS kit looked much more robust. Of course, I am comparing a Porsche strut to a Mini strut...and perhaps this is worth nothing to us here. If you can get hold of the performance specs for each, you'll have a better feel for how each may perform.

I thought BC was a re-badged Megan??? Once the bugs were worked out of the Megans, they performed quite well...but I suspect the oil is not of the highest quality since these 'fell off' fairly fast...I als had two rear cylinders blow in less than a year - about 40K miles of driving public roads and track.

I'll also add here that the OP should take a look at TSW set up - their springs with Koni yellows - single adjustable. The konis have been really really good in every application I've tried...unfortunately I've no experience with the Konis in my mini...remember, TSW are on the track daily as well as public roads...and I know a few here didn't really care for Don - DHM - but he also ran the CROSS kit thru hell - mostly on the track. The TSW kit appears to be less money, and less adjustment intensive. Just find the correct setting the the Koni rears and adjust the fronts accordingly.

Just my 2 cents folks.

MINIdriver85 10-29-2008 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by meb (Post 2530193)
I thought BC was a re-badged Megan???

Actually, it's the opposite. Megan, D2, k-sport are all rebadged BC Racing coilovers :grin: