Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 04:32 PM
DK23
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the deler today to have the software upgrade to 3.3.2. After about 50 miles after having the update done, I now seem to have a really pronounced stumble when I take off from a start. I did not have this before the update. If I keep the revs steady at about 2500 to 3000, and gently and smoothly engage the clutch, while keeping the revs at this level, the car starts to take off, then it almost cuts out for a second, then continues on. It does it every time. Does anyone else have this? Could the update have introduced a problem I did not have earlier?

Old 05-12-2003, 05:23 PM
chris@helix
Former Vendor
That is interesting, I have heard that this version of software was to address some of the poor startup/ cold running problems that some people were having (as were a few of the earlier versions of this software). Did you have anything else done to your MINI @ the time you were @ the dealer, Oil Change? Has this happened over the course of a few different tanks full of gas? Did you check over the simple things under the hood? Everything look like it is in place? Sorry for all the questions, I know that you were looking for answers not more questions.

Old 05-12-2003, 05:36 PM
DK23
3rd Gear
It started within the same tank of gas. I had the oil changed that day, but stood by and watched everything go normally. It is not cold related, as it started while the car was being driven about 50 miles. Everything normal under the hood. The software update apparently was difficult to install, as the tech said it took about 10 attempts to get it to load. I can't help but think it was related to that. I guess I am curious if anyone eise has had the problem with this stumble.

Old 05-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
my March 9th, 2003 build has a similar stumble, the clutch seems to have it's own idea of what is an optimal release Also, the car HATES starting cold. It almost always required two cranks to get going.

Old 05-12-2003, 06:06 PM
chris@helix
Former Vendor
DK23, What happens when you start moving the car @ a normal RPM (1000-1500 rpm) ?

Old 05-12-2003, 06:25 PM
Wesport
3rd Gear
My march 05 / 03 build has the stumble or hiccup. I was hopeing the newest release would solve it. I guess not. It can in my case be driven around with a very gentle start (under 1500rpm). But a normal start results in a distinct cut out breifly at around 2000 rpm.

Wes

Old 05-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I find that to avoid the "stumble" I have to release the clutch very quick, and just about bog the engine (about 1k RPM), then the powerband is smooth and uninterrupted.

I wonder if aftermarket software changes this, and no more Hiccup?!

Old 05-12-2003, 06:31 PM
DK23
3rd Gear
Mine seems to be as Wesport describes. At a gentle lower rev start, the stumble is not noticable. It is certainly still there, but you don't really notice it or feel it as dramatically. At more elevated sustained revs, the cutout is at 2000, and very pronounced.

Old 05-12-2003, 09:28 PM
perfpow
3rd Gear
I just had four Cooper Ss in the shop on Thursday. Three had the stumble and one did not. The new 2003 was two weeks old and came with it new. Software did not change the stumble. Two of the other cars had the stumble too. Both were upgraded to the latest software at the dealer in the previous two weeks. Only the 2002 that had no dealer upgrade (because it had very low miles still) had no stumble. My car, Spud, was fine for 10,000 miles until I let the dealer have him for a day. When I picked him up, he had the dreaded stumble. The software did not change the problem. I'm discussing this with Mini and my dealer. I'll keep you posted. We'll get to the bottom of this. The new software had no noticable improvements in driveability or cold start.

PerfPow

Old 05-13-2003, 04:50 AM
360racing
Neutral
Just a shot in the dark, have you tried turning your ASC or DSC off? At that high of an RPM launch, is it possible the car senses wheel spin (but you don't) and the traction control is creating the stumble.

Old 05-13-2003, 05:27 AM
DK23
3rd Gear
Perpow, that is oddly reassuring that I am not alone in this. I am certain the new software created this problem. My dealer indicated a new version is being developed by MINI to fix all these issues, but he does not know when it will be released. This is a pretty severe problem in my opinion, and really should be addressed. Please keep me updated on what you find out, and how you are dealing with it. I will certainly post any changes I have.
360, I have not tried turning off the DSC, I will try it.

'03 MCS, Aero Kit, painted arches, anthracite & leather interior, 18" SSR Comps, H&R springs, Magnaflow, Madness sway bar, intake, BMP brace, billet pedals

Old 05-13-2003, 05:34 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Check the other threads about engine control software. It's the software. The latest version(s) 33.1 and 33.2 induce a stumble at about 2000 RPM as reported above. The previous versions (31 and 32) DID NOT have the stumble, but instead were a little weaker (i.e., hesitation) at even lower RPMs. As my service guy put it, "they just managed to move the hesitation up the band. Now it's a stumble." Ugh. :evil:

So, the moral of the story is that you DO NOT want to have your engine control software upgraded to version 33. Unless you like a stumble at 2000 RPM and a very slight power increase below that. Me (8/02 MCS), I would have been happier with lower RMP hesitation I had than the current stumble I now have with the "upgraded" software.

If your MINI already has version 33 (which is probably the case with Spring 2003 builds), then sit tight and hopefully MINI will fix the problem in the next version of the software. On the other hand, they've not got it right yet after 100K cars, so who knows how long it will take for the factory to fix this.

BTW, this advice only applies to standard transmission S models. I think that version 33 had some much needed improvements for CVT cars...so if that applies to you, then you may want to check it out.

Live and learn

Old 05-13-2003, 05:43 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Yup yup. Chaulk me up. 33.1 gave me the stumble and HORRIBLE cold start. Took two tries to start him. 33.2 fixed the cold start but the stumble is still there. If I leave at under 1500 it's fine. Also, no worries with 2600+. It's that OPTIMAL 1500-2700RPM that induces the stumble. ******* engineers. :evil:

R

Old 05-13-2003, 05:57 AM
Wesport
3rd Gear
Anyone with any inside info on when the next version will be out please let us know. I am eager to start perfomance mods, but do not want to loose the support (or make an exuse) of my dealer. And yes it happens DSC on or off. Interestingly - it may not happen when turning sharply - as in a 90 right from stop. Anyone else notice this.

Wes

Old 05-13-2003, 06:44 AM
itsthesize
2nd Gear
DK,

Same thing here April 03 production and just received it. It seem like someone already mentioned that you have to let the clutch go all the way at low RPM to almost eliminate this, it works for me.

Perfpow,

Please keep us informed on what the dealer can do on this. I'd like it taken care of too.

Peter

Old 05-13-2003, 07:08 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Yup, DSC/ASC on or off makes no difference.

Yup, turning while starting seems to keep it from stumbling almost always.

R

Old 05-13-2003, 07:12 AM
jsun
6th Gear
REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THE SOFTWARE CAN PASS TESTING AT THE FACTORY!!!! DO THEY NOT INSTALL THEIR OWN PROGRAMS TO ACTUALLY SEE IF IT WORKS
Excellent question. Of course this supposes that there is actual testing going on at the factory. Or maybe all of the test drivers shift below 1500 rpm. That would also explain the preposterous miles-per-gallon ratings they assign to MINIs. I've found that if I keep revs below 3000 I can get in the mid-30s.

(Are we sure that BMW doesn't have Microsoft working on this stuff? )

Old 05-13-2003, 07:48 AM
Boris
1st Gear
I've got a Feb `03 build MCS that has the "stumble" or hesitation. Don't know the software version, but I'm waiting on the JCW install since the ECU is upgraded anyway. Cold start hasn't been a problem, unitil recently and the "stumble" has gotten worse all at the same time. Car has 1800 miles.

Regards,
Boris

Old 05-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Wesport
3rd Gear
I wonder since turning seems to have an effect if somehow the yaw sensors are getting involved with the weight transfer. I would not think they would do anythjing with DSC off. Anyone with a lowered one have the problem?

Wes

Old 05-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Definitely not the yaw sensors. I've got a lowered MINI and only have ASC, no DSC, so yaw sensors don't even exist on my car.

So what is getting triggered when you turn the wheel that doesn't when you go forward?!!?!?

R

Old 05-13-2003, 02:25 PM
Wesport
3rd Gear
Or along a different line of attack. It mostly happens at the very top of the clutch pedal. I think I will stand on my head and tape up the starter interlock switch on the clutch pedel if I can find it and see if that helps.

Wes

Old 05-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this problem since I had the software upgraded about a month ago. It's not an ASC issue, since I almost always turn ASC off when I put the car in gear for the 1st time after starting it.

I had a slight version of this before I got the upgrade, I was hoping that upgrading would fix the problem (and my lousy milage of about 21mpg) but no dice. Made it worse.

Old 05-13-2003, 03:56 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>I had a slight version of this before I got the upgrade, I was hoping that upgrading would fix the problem (and my lousy milage of about 21mpg) but no dice. Made it worse.

Old 05-13-2003, 04:20 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Got Pulley? Not yet but we're getting close! Texas group pulley/ecu upgrade is June 20-22. Sounds like we get gas mileage upgrade as well (according to greatgro).

Old 05-13-2003, 05:07 PM
vespa
4th Gear
My 02/2003 MCS came with stumbling software 32.1. I was really hoping that the new 33.1/33.2 software would fix the stumbling, cold start, and horrible, horrible lack of power in the 1000RPM range. Guess I can only have two out of three huh?

BTW, the stumble sensors monitor the steering angle, clutch pedal and gearbox. If you can figure out a way to trick the computer into thinking you're in reverse, turning, or depressing the clutch, it won't stumble.

Quick Reply: Stumble