Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 05:56 PM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is all good to hear as I have been living with a minor part throttle stumble since a month after I bought the car (9/02). Now I don't have to run to the dealer to flash. I'm beginning to think it is the throttle body. Lots of trouble with these.

Does anybody know whether the EVO ECU flash fixed the stumble problems?

Old 05-14-2003, 04:27 PM
MundoMini
1st Gear
I also have a flat spot on take off and it's worse now that I'm having to use the A/C.

Old 05-14-2003, 10:42 PM
QuickBrick
Neutral

>>Does anybody know whether the EVO ECU flash fixed the stumble problems?

BlueMCS -
I don't know, but I like where you are going with the question - "Honey - I gotta do the EVO upgrade. Its the only way to fix this"

Old 05-15-2003, 06:26 AM
conecarver
3rd Gear
Just to add in here I have an april 03 build MC... (non S) and I also have the stumble at 200 rpm... I can drive arround it but using a low rev or high rev start but a normal start will put you right at the 2000 rpm mark... seems a bit worse with the AC on (also with ac the off rev idle is a bit bouncy).... all in all it is not too bad , I just love my Cooper, but I hope a real fix for it comes from MINI... sounds to me the MCS cars are a bit worse than the cooper by the sound of it....

Old 05-15-2003, 07:48 AM
Tokio
2nd Gear
I have 3/03 build S and the stumble - Just wondering if you all get the yoyo between 3-4K RPM????

Old 05-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Wesport
3rd Gear
I do not get the yoyo. Just the stumble. 3/5/03 build.

Wes

Old 05-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Bluesmaster
2nd Gear
I have a friend with an 02 MCS. He did the Evotech upgrade and it did NOT fix his previous stumble problem. It is somewhat different, but no better.
Bluesmaster

Old 05-15-2003, 12:39 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow...I can't believe this. I have NOT had the stumble, only the normal first gear bog which was greatly alleviated when I got the madness intake and pulley.

It's amazing that Evotech has this pulley chip to add 17HP yet BMW/MINI can't get rid of this stumble found on a bunch (but not all) of Cooper S??

I don't get it! Why is this so hard to fix????

Old 05-15-2003, 06:43 PM
wrbrady
1st Gear
Not all cars have the same amount of stumble, mine has almost no stumble with the pulley and ecu upgrade.

Wish I caould say our programming would fix it but not at present. but we will keep working on it.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:46 PM
wrbrady
1st Gear
Ps people. my personal car goes in on the 21st for its service, 03 car. Will let you know if they put different software in and what happens when we modify it.

Old 05-15-2003, 10:37 PM
Exbat
1st Gear
My one-week-old 6-spd. MCS has this problem and I already mentioned it to my dealer and will be bringing it in. It does not happen in reverse, and is worst from a completely cold start. I've tried various clutch release techniques and no matter what, the car "lurches" at around 1500RPM.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:31 AM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
Well, because its probably not the software (aka timing or A/F). EVO obviously changed both the timing and the A/F and its still there.

Could we be talking about a minor defect in the Throttle Body? There are lots of reported problems/replacements of the TB.

Has anybody added the big bore throttle body? What was the affect on the stumble?

>>Wow...I can't believe this. I have had the stumble, only hte normal first gear bog which was greatly alleviated when I got the madness intake and pulley.
>>
>>It's amazing that Evotech has this pulley chip to add 17HP yet BMW/MINI can't get rid of this stumble found on a bunch (but not all) of Cooper S??
>>
>>I don't get it! Why is this so hard to fix????

Old 05-28-2003, 12:08 PM
itsthesize
2nd Gear
Just to revive this topic again simply because I would like to know if anyone with this problem ever got it eliminated. If so how?

I am taking my MCS in on Fri 30th to have a oil change and also look at this problem. I will see if they are able to find a solution.

Peter

Old 05-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
...still driving me utterly mad....

:evil:

R

Old 05-28-2003, 12:22 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Davbert, do you have DSC?

Old 05-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
Boy am I glad I "Stumbled" into this topic. I just got my MCS 2 weeks ago and I feel like I don't know how to drive a stick, even though I've been driving one my whole life. I have exactly the same problem. Release the clutch under 1500 rpm and everything is fine. If I attempt to release above that I get a jolt. It doesn't appear to be software related to me, engine seems fine just seems like the clutch goes from slippen to grabbin in an instand and the stumble/jolt is from it not slipping properly. I sure would like to get this fixed!

Old 05-28-2003, 01:13 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>> If I keep the revs steady at about 2500 to 3000, and gently and smoothly engage the clutch, while keeping the revs at this level, the car starts to take off, then it almost cuts out for a second, then continues on. It does it every time.

>>Does anyone else have this?

Yep, I have a very similar problem. I picked up my MCS on 2/27/03 (I haven't been in for any flashes) and it does this mostly when the engine is cold. Once warmed up it rare every does this.

>> Could the update have introduced a problem I did not have earlier?

Yep. Sure could have.

Old 05-28-2003, 01:17 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>>Just a shot in the dark, have you tried turning your ASC or DSC off? At that high of an RPM launch, is it possible the car senses wheel spin (but you don't) and the traction control is creating the stumble.

My MCS will do it regardless of wether DSC is enabled or disabled.

Old 05-28-2003, 01:21 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>> Interestingly - it may not happen when turning sharply - as in a 90 right from stop. Anyone else notice this.

I still get the stumble even when turing 90 deg onto a street almost everytime when the engine is cold. Once warmed up it rarely stumbles.

Old 05-28-2003, 01:47 PM
jsun
6th Gear
The reason why I ask about the DSC is that I have a suspicion that the stumble is a bug in the DSC program. It has to do with the wheel sensors and NOT the rpm...although in most cases your wheels would be doing the same thing at the same rpm and that's why it's easy to assume that the stumble is rpm-related. This is (ack to my theory) also why reprogramming the airflow, doing the pulley mod, and modifying the throttle body does nothing to impact the stumble. It's not a factor of fuel/air...rather, it's some component of the DSC software specifically cutting off the power momentarily when you reach a certain wheel speed/attitude.

My theory also says that turning off the DSC manually does not fully disable the DSC system. Hey, I might be totally full of it, but it's pretty obvious that this problem IS software related and only impacts certain MINIs, regardless of whether they have the same version of the software.

At any rate, I sure hope this can get fixed. I feel particularly stupid for having induced the problem by having my software upgraded...but more than anything, I hate lurching my way out of every intersection. :evil:

Old 05-28-2003, 03:05 PM
itsthesize
2nd Gear
It seem like we here realize that the problem exists, but has anyones' dealer respond to put in full effort to solve this problem? I love the MCS but if this is an on going problem then don't you think we need some sort of "solution", one kind or another? Although I don't believe I heard from anyone who has the throttle body upgrade, if that might be a solution.

peter

Old 05-28-2003, 03:06 PM
DK23
3rd Gear
mckinneymini and I went to our dealership and had another meeting with the head of service and head mechanic about this issue. They clearly understand the issue, and want to solve it as badly as we do. They assured us that MINI was aware of this problem and is working on it. They are convinced it is a software problem with the latest upgrade, and has nothing to do with the DSC. I believe they are sincere about their efforts, as they clearly don't want this to begin to give MINIs a bad rap and impact sales. I was impressed with their response.

Old 05-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Flash
2nd Gear
April 03 build MC and it happens when making an aggressive start. Turning or not, it does stumble. Not a good situation having the stumble when you need performance the most.

Can you hear that sound? It's Leisure Suit Larry, the product liability lawyer, rubbing his hands together?

Old 05-28-2003, 04:19 PM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
OK, I've been away for a month or so, and was really glad to come back to this. I've got a Feb 2003 build, and DEFINITELY have the stumble. I've got 4000 stumbling miles on the odometer, and can't get a decent launch in first gear. I mentioned it to my dealer early on, and was told that it must be me, and my shifting. Never happened in the BMWs I bought from them...

Anyway, I'm stumbling until I can get an upgrade. Really makes city driving tough, and the girlfriend is sick of it. MINI....HELP!

Old 05-28-2003, 05:17 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
I'm picking up my '03 MCS Monday in Utah and driving back to Portland the same day. I asked my MA about this and they said they weren't aware of the issue (right).

Hmmmmm....

I will ask about it on Monday and see what kind of response I get and reply back here when I get back.

Quick Reply: Stumble