Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 07:37 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am working closely with MINI DIVISION BMW NA and expect an answer of some sort within a few days. At least that is what I was told. I'll share what I find out.

Graham

Old 06-06-2003, 05:08 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
OK got an acknowledgement today from MINI that there is a problem and it is being worked on. It's going to take awhile though, 30 days before we may know when to expect a fix. All the data from this thread has been shared with engineering in Germany and the UK. Now the wait begins, but I think the end is in sight! :smile:

Graham

Old 06-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
A fix is supposedly near-ish?

Oh joyous day
Calloo Callay
I'm chortling in my joy!

(..to bastardize L Carroll) :evil: Ahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!

R

Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
I've got the top guy's attention and he's working with us! This entire thread got emailed to engineering about 2 weeks ago! And we have a problem! Let's wait patiently and then get a new download! I can't wait, but I will.

Graham

Old 06-06-2003, 06:40 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
Well, since no one has asked the obvious question--why don't they re-release the previous version that didn't have this problem? (And slap a new version number on it.)

Jeff

Old 06-06-2003, 06:51 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
I picked up my April MCS on the 2nd and didn't notice the stumble at first.

I have been taking the MINI out the last few nights and finally got it to stumble. My MA from Utah called today and I explained the problem to her, but she says she has not heard of it. I agree with Davbret where I fee like I am going to wear my cluth out prematurely if this is not remdied. I almost got hit in an intersection by an overzealous driver when the car stumbled.

Not happy.

Old 06-06-2003, 07:01 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
>>Well, since no one has asked the obvious question--why don't they re-release the previous version that didn't have this problem? (And slap a new version number on it.)
>>
>>Jeff

Good question! I think they believe what they have solves a bunch of other stuff, and they believe they've really moved forward. What they really need to do is take the best of both releases and re-release the software.

Old 06-07-2003, 01:30 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Let me add another couple of symptoms to the stumble thread.

Ever since I was upgraded to 33.2, I've noticed that my car take longer to "turn over"/start up. This is the case whether the engine is actually cold or not. It just takes longer to start. Further, when it does start, I tend to smell exhaust and what seems to me to be an overly rich mixture. Just a good whiff, and then it's gone (of course, then I'm also moving, so I don't really know whether it continues to stink when under way).

This morning, I went to start my car and noticed that the AC was on when I turned on the ignition. I'd driven home yesterday with it on and simply turned off the car w/o turning off the AC first. This is actually my typical behavior, it's just that I seldom use the AC and hence don't often encounter it on. Anyway, this morning, the car actually STALLED OUT after I started it. It did this twice, and then I turned OFF the AC, and tried to start again. I cranked it for about 4 seconds (which is about normal nowadays...it used to start almost immediately, before I was upgraded to 33.2) and it started. Big stink of exhaust and a rough idle for about 15 seconds or so. Then, everything settled out and I was able to drive away as normal.

So, here are actually 3 problems...all of which I think are related to the stumble and the 33.2 upgrade:

1) It takes longer cranking to start up the car
2) Exhaust stinks at start up
3) Difficulty starting with the AC on.

#3 is obviously preliminary, and I need to experiment more to see if this is in fact a frequent occurence. I'll do so and report back.

One other thing to note...and that's that the problem brought on by this upgrade, whatever the problem actually is, is embedded deep within the engine management program. By that, I mean that it's not a simple adjustment. The symptoms actually vary and appear over time as the computer adapts to various conditions and driving styles.

Old 06-07-2003, 02:08 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
jsun, the guy at MINI told me that they also acknowledge, in addition to the stumble, that there are longer crank times with 33.2 and that is also under investigation. He's promised to keep me up-to-date with any progress being made.

Graham

Old 06-07-2003, 02:27 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>3) Difficulty starting with the AC on.
>>
>>#3 is obviously preliminary, and I need to experiment more to see if this is in fact a frequent occurence. I'll do so and report back >>>>>

You shouldn't start ANY car with ANYTHING on! :smile:

Old 06-07-2003, 03:05 PM
jsun
6th Gear
mckinneymini, you seem to definitely be in the loop...perhaps you've found the singular human being (or at least the only one over the age of 18 with any viable experience) at MINIUSA. Great info!

greatgro, OK, I'll not say that you're exactly wrong about never starting the car with "anything"on...but in the real world, I'd be willing to be that this happens (starting the car with an accessory such as the AC on) more often than not. Sort of like the car wash thing. But if starting the car with the AC on was such a terrible thing to do, then how come BMW/MINI didn't set the car up so that the AC was automatically put into the "off" mode when the ignition is killed? I can't say that I've had to worry about manually turning off the AC in any other modern car that I've had...why would this be a problem with the MINI?

Old 06-07-2003, 03:18 PM
vespa
4th Gear
Actually, greatgro. Any car built after 1964 should have no trouble starting with *everything* on. Some really old cars automatically disconnect the radio, fan, etc. while starting but modern cars are fine with everything running.

Oh, and AC systems are automatically off while starting. On all cars. The light may be lit on the dash but the pump clutch will not engage until the engine is running.

Old 06-07-2003, 05:25 PM
mmanasas
1st Gear
Just logging in that my early May '03 MCS w/ DSC has the stumble. It also seems to be developing a worsening yo-yo / surging issue between 2500-3500 RPM. Just passed 450 miles on the odometer. How is the surge issue for others with the stumble problem?

cheers.

Old 06-07-2003, 05:48 PM
jsun
6th Gear
^ Wow mmanasas, you've been on MCO as long as I and this is your first post??!!

Old 06-07-2003, 06:07 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE

<--------- so happy to hear that a fix might be on the way!!!

Old 06-07-2003, 06:45 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>Actually, greatgro. Any car built after 1964 should have no trouble starting with *everything* on. Some really old cars automatically disconnect the radio, fan, etc. while starting but modern cars are fine with everything running.
>>
>>Oh, and AC systems are automatically off while starting. On all cars. The light may be lit on the dash but the pump clutch will not engage until the engine is running. >>

Hmmm...I guess I stand corrected!

Old 06-07-2003, 06:55 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
OK, here is what I know. MINI HQ guy acknowledges we have problems. Stumble, yes, long crank times, yes, inability to use crap gas, (reformulated gas in Texas and Florida). I have a promise of within 30 days to let us know when a fix will be available . Let's wait and see, I'm as impatient as everyone but I want this right!

Graham

Old 06-17-2003, 02:06 PM
shkeller55
2nd Gear
See this thread for what my dealer told me today about the possible recent release of version 33.3 (not true) and how to get a pre-stumble version re-installed:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...776#post406643

Old 06-17-2003, 02:28 PM
Stinger
3rd Gear
I've got a May '03 build MCS and have developed the dreaded stumble just recently. It seems to get progressively worse and I'm afraid now to makle dashes accros traffic with it now for fear it will cut out at a critical moment and leave me in the center of the street targeted by a big SUV. I don't want to have what happend to PDX Mini to me. I'll be watching for word of a fix. Other than that, the car is awesome!

Old 06-17-2003, 03:44 PM
andrew
3rd Gear
Thanks Graham for doing so much work to help with the stumble..........mine has returned !!!! Hard acceleration while starting a turn........especially in the morning...........awaiting info from this thread.........private email me when you get a final answer or fix, if you have a moment and don't mind. Thanks, Andrew B......

Old 06-17-2003, 06:49 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
I think we're closing in on this. The fix is going to be in the next release. We want this right so let's be patient while they fix it. I'm thinking mid-July before we know. This is really driving me crazy as the climate changes and the stumble get's worse. Hang in there!

Graham

Old 06-18-2003, 05:22 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
I got a call back today from MINI and there's a fix on the way! Still no date but sooner rather than later. Maybe two or three weeks.

Graham

Old 06-18-2003, 05:42 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, Graham...great news!

Old 06-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Man oh man...I just found this thread. I'm a late bloomer, what can I say? I've been in COOP 2 (MCS) for two weeks and a few hundred miles, and I was convinced that I had completely lost my ability to use the clutch in my transition from COOP 1 (MC) to COOP 2. I really hope that all of these posts of late are true and that there will be a fix in a few weeks. I'm tired of looking like an idiot and also coming dangerously close to death from the stumble. I drive pretty aggressively, and this thing has severely changed the way I drive. Who knows, maybe slowing things down and waiting longer before making left turns will be good for me...

Old 06-19-2003, 05:32 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
>> I'm tired of looking like an idiot and also coming dangerously close to death from the stumble. I drive pretty aggressively, and this thing has severely changed the way I drive. Who knows, maybe slowing things down and waiting longer before making left turns will be good for me...
>>
>>

Yeah you don't need the car to have a coughing fit turning left in front of an 18 wheeler!

Quick Reply: Stumble