Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 05:38 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So now Big Brother is helping.... so glad the problem has FINALLY gotten the recognition it so desperately needs!

<<<Maybe your ECU could go to the UK for the weekend... shame to waste a trip over there.>>>

It will come back with little travel stickers all over it...

Old 07-18-2003, 06:28 PM
e-mini-Austin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW has been working on redesigning the bussell trunk on the 7 series, more complaimts than they have ever had---done now they have time for the little MINI

Old 07-18-2003, 06:51 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
>>So now Big Brother is helping.... so glad the problem has FINALLY gotten the recognition it so desperately needs!
>>
>>
>><<<Maybe your ECU could go to the UK for the weekend... shame to waste a trip over there.>>>
>>
>>
>> It will come back with little travel stickers all over it...

Yeah to that!

Graham

Old 07-18-2003, 06:53 PM
jerrygee
4th Gear
My MCS was produced on March 11, 2003 and it has never exhibited a stumble or starting problem. Starts on the first try every time. I have had instances when it doesn’t want to get up and go after total clutch release, but once it gets a few rpm under its belt there is no problem. I can easily take off under most conditions with little more than 1200 to 1400 rpm for clutch disengagement. I have been using 91 octane Chevron gasolines since day once, so chalk another one up to the benefits of Techron.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:55 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
>>BMW has been working on redesigning the bussell trunk on the 7 series, more complaimts than they have ever had---done now they have time for the little MINI

Jan, let's drive the wheels off this when I get it back to make sure it's right!

Graham

Old 07-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
So, am I correct in assuming that you were given no ETA on the return of your ECU. And seriously, are they not aware that there is this wacky US invention known as the IN-TER-NET?

Old 07-18-2003, 08:49 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Can I just rant for a second (if no, then just skip this post):

If I hear from one more person that the stumble is a clutch issue (as in, driver controlling the clutch) I'm going to put my own eyes out! :evil:

Old 07-18-2003, 09:02 PM
scox
1st Gear
>>Can I just rant for a second (if no, then just skip this post):
>>
>>If I hear from one more person that the stumble is a clutch issue (as in, driver controlling the clutch) I'm going to put my own eyes out! :evil:

Old 07-20-2003, 11:07 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
>>
>>If I hear from one more person that the stumble is a clutch issue (as in, driver controlling the clutch) I'm going to put my own eyes out!
>>

OK it's a clutch issue! JUST KIDDING! Don't put your eyes out! Isn't it weird that perfectly normal people have such reactions when their car acts up? I'm with you OmToast, I am totally pissed off by this, (yelling) BUT I'M CLOSE TO RESOLUTION! Unless someone in BMW HQ in Germany fumbles the ball I'm done with this stumble!

I will post exactly what the outcome is as soon as I know!

Graham

Old 07-20-2003, 04:01 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
^^^ And you're still my hero

Out of curiosity, MINIUSA and BMWAG know that this issue isn't just affecting your ECU, right? I'm assuming that's the case... I just happened to ask one of the head service dept. guys at my dealer and he knew nothing. Nothing about anything. Just realized there was a problem.

Old 07-20-2003, 05:43 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
>>^^^ And you're still my hero
>>
>>Out of curiosity, MINIUSA and BMWAG know that this issue isn't just affecting your ECU, right? I'm assuming that's the case... I just happened to ask one of the head service dept. guys at my dealer and he knew nothing. Nothing about anything. Just realized there was a problem.
>>
>>
Well, if they don't know, it takes a very special kind of ignoramous to work in customer service at a dealership and not know what this is about! Can I get a job there 'cos I know about 50 million times about MINI issues as they do!

Jees!

Graham

Old 07-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear

When I placed my order last Saturday, I asked my salesman if it would come with the stumble or did he think it would be resolved by then. He didn't know what I was talking about!!! When I started to describe it and said it was the fix to the cold start problem which resulted in a worse problem, the Service Manager just happened to be talking to their receptionist and over heard me. He stepped up and said yes, it is an issue with the downloading of the software. Not all the elements of the software download and what does download doesn't stay set, in 2-3 days things start changing. Like it's trying to reset to default settings. He said they downloaded a BMW 3 Series software into their MINI. Said it ran great but in 3 days it remembered it was a MINI and wouldn't run correctly because part of it was thinking BMW and other bits reset as MINI. (I'm not using all the technical words, but that's how I understood what he was saying)

But I was thinking like you, Graham, if you as the salesman doesn't know what's going on with the car, who would ? ? ?

Old 07-20-2003, 06:09 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
I'm thinking that all "stumble" car customers know more than the dealerships because MINI doesn't keep them informed. Go ahead and call and ask when the stumble problem will be fixed! Whaaaat? Call MINI! Please hold for the next available representative! Email MINI! We're so sorry you are having a problem with your MINI!

Hang in here because we're going to find out what this is and fix it!

Graham

Old 07-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
>>
>>If I hear from one more person that the stumble is a clutch issue (as in, driver controlling the clutch) I'm going to put my own eyes out! Now you know why I'm still "divorced and looking"!!

and the "you paid too much"...
I get that from my sister all the time... What's the deal with that?
Like I can go back to the past and redo the deal I'm happy with.

Old 07-20-2003, 06:21 PM
motormad
3rd Gear
OmToast.

Engine stumble that causes a car to "lurch" is not normal. Sure if you don't lett out teh clutch properly, you can make any standard lurch, but that is not the problem with the MINI. I think you might consider finding a more supportive boy friend. As to telling you you paid too much for the MINI, what is he trying to prove? What constructive good will come out by saying that after the fact? The purchase has been completed. It would be different if he told you this before you bought the car.

He is entitled to his opinion, but sometimes he should keep his mouth shut out of respect for you. He is displaying lack of respect for you as a driver and as thinking woman who can choose how she wants to spend her own money. If he is showing this low level of respect during "courtship", imagine where he will be when you really need him. I am not saying you should dump him, but I suggest you get back in his face a little. Some people will only give you the level of respect that you demand. Set some limits before he thinks he can walk all over you.

I don't know you or your boyfriend, but I have seen this happen over and over with many couples and I was bothered by your post. I hope you consider what I am saying. Best of luck with the MINI and your relationship. :smile:

Old 07-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Tokio
2nd Gear
In view of the fact that these cars hiccup and yoyo like no other - I believe we all got suckered into paying too much for the Cooper S.

Mini USA seem to think that after 6 months, maybe a year, maybe never if they come up with a fix then everything will be dandy. Why should we have to pay top dollar for a second rate product (software) and be expected to eat ***** and whatever other missinformation BMW/ MINI decide to ration out about this issue. BMW sold us these cars knowing they had problems with the software - they blatently ripped us off. They are thieves. :evil:

My service manager drove my car and told me what the problem was straight up - "software" - Now he refuses to even acknowledge in a report or any written form that he even drove the car and or diagnosed the problem - won't even acknowledge that I asked for it in writing. As a "customer" I am appauled at the dishonesty that surrounds the whole BMW Mini "family" of sales/service agents and management.

Mini BMW SUCK

Old 07-21-2003, 08:52 AM
itsthesize
2nd Gear
I was at a MINI outing that my dealer sponsored this past weekend and there was a rep there from MINI HQ. I stopped him and asked him about the stumble, although he acknowledges the problem as being software, he did say that there is simply no time frame what so ever. I don't know about what you're getting Graham, but I feel that this stumble issue is looking bleek. I wouldn't be surprise if it never get resolved. There is just so many different answers out there from different people. On top of that I asked my service advisor what version software is out now and he said 33.1. I almost laughed. From the forum here I hear 33.4 already. So, to sum things up the answer to this problem is just all over the place, which makes me assume that they are buying time or just putting us off.

Peter

Old 07-21-2003, 09:02 AM
jsun
6th Gear
and the "you paid too much"... I get that from my sister all the time... What's the deal with that?
People who hold this belief either believe that cars are sold by the pound ("gee, that Ford Excursion must be worth a mint!&quot or haven't tried to price a car in the past 10 years. Either way, they're woefully uninformed. I bought the MINI because it was the least expensive car that provided me with the performance that I wanted. If I wanted to spend money just for the sake of spending money, I'd have bought a "regular" BMW.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 AM
jsun
6th Gear
>>I was at a MINI outing that my dealer sponsored this past weekend and there was a rep there from MINI HQ. I stopped him and asked him about the stumble, although he acknowledges the problem as being software, he did say that there is simply no time frame what so ever. I don't know about what you're getting Graham, but I feel that this stumble issue is looking bleek. I wouldn't be surprise if it never get resolved. There is just so many different answers out there from different people. On top of that I asked my service advisor what version software is out now and he said 33.1. I almost laughed. From the forum here I hear 33.4 already. So, to sum things up the answer to this problem is just all over the place, which makes me assume that they are buying time or just putting us off.
>>

Peter, I agree that the situation is bleek, but I have hope....and think that what Graham's involved with is the best shot going. I CAN affirm that there is no "revised software fix" currently available, even though we are at 33.4 or 34 or whatever. Doesn't matter...the new software is not acknowledged by MINI/BMW to do a damn thing for the stumble. I think that there WILL be a fix eventually, it's just not here yet.

And so far as your service advisor not knowing about the current version of the software...well...one thing that MCO threads clearly establish is that MINI service and (more importantly) the level of knowledge/quality of service available from dealerships varies wildly. All it all, this is absolutely no different from most car brands. Perhaps we've been led to belive that it's differnet for Lexus/Accura...well bully for them. Maybe BMW can learn from 'em someday.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:20 AM
jerrygee
4th Gear
I was with a BMW dealer when the new 528e came out as a MY 1982. All 528e’s had the same problem here in the southwestern part of the US where the summer temps can get into triple digits. The A/C would freeze up. The evaporator coil would turn into a solid block of frozen ice crystals and not allow air to past. BMW of North America came up with a number of “fixes” that did not totally solve the problem. I was a guest of the factory in Germany in the fall of 1982, one year after the 528e had been released in the US and I was talking to some of the head BMW engineers and I mentioned the A/C problem on the 528e and were they close to a fix for the problem and the head guy said in English with a thick German accent “We have no problem with the interior cooling system on the 528e!” They had no problem in Germany because it never got hot enough, but we had a problem in the US. They did finally come up with a “fix”. It was Mickey Mouse and ugly and BMW did totally redesign the A/C system on subsequent cars.

>>And so far as your service advisor not knowing about the current version of the software...well...one thing that MCO threads clearly establish is that MINI service and (more importantly) the level of knowledge/quality of service available from dealerships varies wildly. All it all, this is absolutely no different from most car brands. Perhaps we've been led to belive that it's differnet for Lexus/Accura...well bully for them. Maybe BMW can learn from 'em someday.
>>

In the early 90's when the Lexus and Infiniti first came onto the US market, it shook BMW up pretty badly as they saw these cars from Japan as a threat to their market and they did get the message. For the first time BMW gave the US cars that THEY wanted, not cars that the Germans thought we needed. I hope history isn’t repeating itself and reverting back to the early ‘80’s. I hope if MINIUSA is aware of the stumble problem that they past in on to the factory.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:42 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
itsthesize, my belief is that my car will run properly when the ECU gets back from Germany. Why? I've been in the software business for over 30 years and I've seen monumental efforts worked around the clock to fix bugs. We had one at Philips Electronics in the UK which caused us to do just that, work till we dropped just so the online system would be up on Monday.

We're talking a major flaw with the programming on our MINIs and it's getting worldwide attention. They'll fix it for sure. It's just lines of computer code. If we knew the programming language (but it's proprietary) some of us could fix it ourselves!

jsun, hang in there! We should have something this week! MINI is not going to want to pay for this rental car for ever!

Graham

Old 07-21-2003, 09:42 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
itsthesize, my belief is that my car will run properly when the ECU gets back from Germany. Why? I've been in the software business for over 30 years and I've seen monumental efforts worked around the clock to fix bugs. We had one at Philips Electronics in the UK which caused us to do just that, work till we dropped just so the online system would be up on Monday.

We're talking a major flaw with the programming on our MINIs and it's getting worldwide attention. They'll fix it for sure. It's just lines of computer code. If we knew the programming language (but it's proprietary) some of us could fix it ourselves!

jsun, hang in there! We should have something this week! MINI is not going to want to pay for this rental car for ever!

Graham

Old 07-21-2003, 09:45 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
I'm seriously considering backing out of my deal !!! I would rather loose the deposit, than have to keep reading about this. I'm sick of it. I can't realy have faith in this company right now. Maybe I will look at them again few years from now, but right now they just seem to have there head up there ars !!

I was really hoping that in the month since I ordered my car some progress would be made. This is getting stupid.
I am really starting to think the SVT Focus or Neon SRT-4 will be a much safer bet. Less expensive, faster, more realible, why did I order one of these ?? It's getting more and more difficult to remember. Loosing the $1000 deposit is starting look better and better.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Newkevin
2nd Gear
I thought I would throw my 0.2 in here. I just picked up my MCS Saturday. I too was concerned about the dreaded stumble, but so far nothing. Behaves better than I had expected. I put in about 150 miles over the weekend and it was nothing but smiles for miles :smile: The car is a blast!!

Motor on!

Old 07-21-2003, 10:03 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
>>I thought I would throw my 0.2 in here. I just picked up my MCS Saturday. I too was concerned about the dreaded stumble, but so far nothing. Behaves better than I had expected. I put in about 150 miles over the weekend and it was nothing but smiles for miles :smile: The car is a blast!!
>>
>>Motor on!

Great, that's what we all want! Enjoy!

Graham

PS Right now, I think we've reached the turn on this one. There's no way BMW is going to ship me back a stumbling ECU.

Quick Reply: Stumble