Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got my MCS july 3rd and i have no stumble problems. so maybe the 33.3 is the key....?

Old 07-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Lakesands
2nd Gear
We got our MCS in June and it has a stumble problem, but I believe gas makes a difference. Still trying to narrow it, but better gas seems to lessen the stumble and even eliminate it once the car is warmed up good. I sure hope MINI comes up with a software fix as I am not keen on having to search for gas that meets my needs.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:11 AM
e-mini-Austin
2nd Gear
Graham,
Wow, want to borrow my car for a "fix" while they screw with yours. Let me know when it is complete and I will drive up. Tuson dealer says the problem is only with the non "s" 5 speeds-

Old 07-16-2003, 11:54 AM
OpusMini
4th Gear
Does anyone with a JCW kit have any feedback on the stumble? The kit includes some new ECU programming and I was wondering if the Works lads might have figured a solution.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:06 PM
jsun
6th Gear
nomonstersinme - I doubt your car has 33.3. It probably has 33.2 (which caused the problem with some S's). This 33.3 thing has just been released within the last week or so. And you car was probably built early June? Of course, there's no way to tell what you have w/o asking your dealer. But why do that if your car works fine...

lakesands -- see the discussion about Techron a couple of pages back. This does seem to help somewhat and addresses the gas issue. Buy the best gas you can, and use Techron...and you'll probably have the least stumble possible until a real fix is released by BMW (which may be 33.3, but the jury's still out).

This thread's now so long and evolved that some of the important info is at the top or in the middle...and who's going to go all the way back for that.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:20 PM
e-mini-Austin
2nd Gear
friend of mine with new "Works" kit reports ---no stumble, no cold start problems and worth the money

Old 07-16-2003, 07:10 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<<<If I take 33.3, is this the best option or does the lab have a 100% stumble free version? That's what I'm trying to find out.>>>

The lab HAD BETTER, AT SOME POINT, HAVE A 100% STUMBLE-FREE SOFTWARE RELEASE!!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil:

As I've seen reported, performance is much better and stumble is reduced by 1/2 with 33.3 upgrade. That's great and I'm glad to hear it

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT

If you take away 1/2 my stumble then I am left with the stuble I had PRIOR to godforsaken 33.2--which is what prompted me to complain to the dealer in the first place!!! I mean, I'll take what I can get as an interim solution but I cannot stress enough that I don't want the old problem back for good (what? Am I supposed to look upon it more favorably having seen the darkside?) I want my car FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good day, then!

PS... Graham.... that sucks about your ECU. Fools on parade...

Old 07-16-2003, 07:23 PM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
My MINI had the worst stumble to date - while pulling out into traffic rather quickly (I have been feathering the clutch to keep the stumble at bay) the car lost all momentum - the engine was running, gas pedal was halfway to the floor, but RPM's were going nowhere. I leave my foot on the gas hoping it will kick in and about 2 seconds later it takes off, the RPM's shooting up as if to catch up to the pedal placement. Very unnerving.

My fiance went in to get a new key and wee were told our S was being recalled for a fuse issue. Appears a fuse that blows in the sterring motor can cause the other fuses to pop as well (this is second hand from my fiance so take with grains of salt)

Old 07-17-2003, 11:18 AM
efcmini
4th Gear
Okay here's the deal...went to pick up my mini yesterday. They fixed the recall item (which they said was a cable to a fan for the powering steering, make sense to anybody?). They ran my vin and said that there were no upgrades for the ecu that I have. They couldn't tell me which program I have but they have...Version P34.0!! Anybody heard of that one yet?

Oh and they said my car performs normally. It stumbled all the way home (as usual). To this point when anybody has asked how I like my car I have told them it is THE best car I have ever owned. That story changes from here on out.

Ken

Old 07-17-2003, 05:26 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Called my dealer today, still no ECU, should be tomorrow (Friday). Just thought I'd let everybody know where we're at. More than a week now without my car. :???:

Graham

Old 07-17-2003, 06:17 PM
mmanasas
1st Gear
>>Okay here's the deal...went to pick up my mini yesterday. They fixed the recall item (which they said was a cable to a fan for the powering steering, make sense to anybody?). They ran my vin and said that there were no upgrades for the ecu that I have. They couldn't tell me which program I have but they have...Version P34.0!! Anybody heard of that one yet?
>>
>>Oh and they said my car performs normally. It stumbled all the way home (as usual). To this point when anybody has asked how I like my car I have told them it is THE best car I have ever owned. That story changes from here on out.
>>
>>Ken

34.0 has been out for several weeks now, but someone on mini2.com (maybe here2help?) had pretty detailed info about it and said the only change from 33.2 to 34.0 was the addition of a test feature for the 5 series BMW's.

Old 07-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Graham-

I'm thinking maybe we should all call your dealer. Do they realize that there are approximately 1,000 people hanging on your every post to this thread?!? How about a little Fed-Ex action? The suspense is killing me!

Old 07-17-2003, 07:31 PM
dbwilldo
Coordinator :: Southern California MINI Maniacs
Just got my 11/02 build MC back from the dealer for, among other things, the stumble (especially with the A/C running). They updated the software and she's running like a top! no more stalling in 1st gear or when waiting at a light. Runs a bit smoother too. I'll report back in a few days and let ya'll know if there are any changes.

Old 07-17-2003, 10:52 PM
efcmini
4th Gear
>>Just got my 11/02 build MC back from the dealer for, among other things, the stumble (especially with the A/C running). They updated the software and she's running like a top! no more stalling in 1st gear or when waiting at a light. Runs a bit smoother too. I'll report back in a few days and let ya'll know if there are any changes.

As everybody else has asked (or wanted to ask people who have been "fixed&quot...what version did you have and what did they update you to?

Just thinking here and bear with me coz I'm inebriated...my all time fav is Nat King Cole (honest to God!). Any chance he would have done better with "Stumblin' Rose"? Neil Diamond would have done wonders with "Stumblin' Rose" too but to a different tune than Nat's "Stumblin' Rose". Meanwhile here I am a Ramblin' and a Cracklin' while my Mini sits a idlin'

Goodnight fellow stumblers.

Ken

Old 07-18-2003, 04:29 AM
dbwilldo
Coordinator :: Southern California MINI Maniacs
[quopte]
As everybody else has asked (or wanted to ask people who have been "fixed&quot...what version did you have and what did they update you to?
[/quote]
I'm a bad monkey and didn't ask what version I was taken too, but with a 11/02 build, I prolly started with either 31.x or 32.x. I will call and check today.

Just thinking here and bear with me coz I'm inebriated...my all time fav is Nat King Cole (honest to God!). Any chance he would have done better with "Stumblin' Rose"? Neil Diamond would have done wonders with "Stumblin' Rose" too but to a different tune than Nat's "Stumblin' Rose". Meanwhile here I am a Ramblin' and a Cracklin' while my Mini sits a idlin
Not too sure about that, but imagine Nat doing a swingin' redition of Sweet Caroline

Old 07-18-2003, 05:56 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<<< Called my dealer today, still no ECU, should be tomorrow (Friday). Just thought I'd let everybody know where we're at. More than a week now without my car.>>>

A WEEK!!!!

Old 07-18-2003, 06:07 AM
sirron
5th Gear
I'm having my first service today, (my LTL YELO was bought in April 2002) I will not have any computer updates done, as the car has never stumbled, rumbled, crumbled or bumbled. It's a CVT and runs like a charm. I'm taking my own Amsoil. What do they do on a first service anyway?
BTW. It's been over 100 degrees for days---no, weeks in Valley Center. It's hotter than a popcorn f-rt.

Old 07-18-2003, 08:30 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
>>We will send it to Oprah who will, in turn, air the segment on a show about grass-roots community >>movements and surprise each and everyone of the ECU-bearers with a free JCW upgrade.

Old 07-18-2003, 12:44 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
^^^ and since the (Oprah) show is filmed in Chicago, we'll all stay with Chitown the night before the taping.

Old 07-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Tokio
2nd Gear
Wow - if it takes a week and a half for HQ to change an ECU imagine how long it will take those poor mushroom dealers service agents.

Old 07-18-2003, 01:25 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
A new twist has developed in this saga. BMW - Germany overrode New Jersey's plan to fix the problem in the States. My ECU is now on it's way to Germany. To me this is better news because the whole problem just got escalated.

Graham

Old 07-18-2003, 01:29 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>A new twist has developed in this saga. BMW - Germany overrode New Jersey's plan to fix the problem in the States. My ECU is now on it's way to Germany. To me this is better news because the whole problem just got escalated.
>>
>>Graham

Allow me to extrapolate from this....

Sounds like MINI USA is in the dark and tired of playing "messenger" between customer and BMW Headquarters in Germany.

R

Old 07-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Tokio
2nd Gear
Wow - now it has to go to Germany - this is software we are talking about ...right

Perhaps we should let them know that you can transmit data on the net and in a few seconds they could re-program the ECU.

Old 07-18-2003, 03:19 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
My interpretation is that BMW wants to kill this problem before it gets any more out of hand than it already is. Granted they're late but let's hope it's not too little. I'm glad it got escalated. I'll keep you posted.

Graham

Old 07-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Tokio
2nd Gear
It'd be interesting to know how many burns you have left in the ECU by the time they've finished with it and what version # they'll be up to by then.

What really gets me is - don't they have their own cars and ECUs to play guinea pigs with - I was told by Mini USA this was a 100% TESTED AND PROVEN FIX - look where they are now - I wonder if the box heads know about locking the car door and not starting trick.

Maybe your ECU could go to the UK for the weekend... shame to waste a trip over there.

Quick Reply: Stumble