Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Strut mount mushrooming, no big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
minsane
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut mount mushrooming, no big deal?

Hello everyone:

I have recently took my car in for service at a local repair shop and while there I ran into another mini owner that mentioned to me that he was in to fix a mushrooming problem that he had. I did not think much about it then, but in the last few days I have done a little more research on the subject. It looks as though I have mild "mushrooming" on my strut mounts. When I spoke to the mechanic that worked on my car he mentioned to me that there was really nothing that could be done and to just enjoy the car.

In the course of my research I have yet to hear someone mentioning a serious problem with the handling or safety of their car.

Should I be worried? Should I take action?

Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Nitro22
2nd Gear
Take action!

Get camber plates or SRP's (strut reinforcement plates "M7") to reinforce the strut tops.

Mild mushrooming may lead to severe mushrooming.

Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I purchased the M7 strut brace with plates. I wanted it for stiffness in the convertible but found one of my upper supports mushroomed. I beat it into submission and installed the plate. I think I've solved the problem and also enjoy the sensation of more consistent tracking on tight corners with bad surfaces.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Grey Shade
2nd Gear
I have been reading about that mushrooming prob also, so I purchased a set of the M7 reenforcing plates. should get them in a couple days. I don't think I have any mushrooming yet but I bought the car used so I don't have anything ot compare it to.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Nitro22
Take action!

Get camber plates or SRP's (strut reinforcement plates "M7") to reinforce the strut tops.

Mild mushrooming may lead to severe mushrooming.

Good Luck!
Amd severe mushrooming will lead to alignment issues, which could be a safety hazard, and the alignment issue will lead to uneven tire wear. If the mushrooming is severe enough, your strut mounts could very likely be cracked which could lead to your suspension going bye-bye on the turnpike . Search aorund for the fix to mushrooming and at least put those M7 plates on.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:34 PM
mininana
2nd Gear
I've been told there is no real "fix". It's a design flaw of MINI's. I, too, have the M7 brace & brackets. Got rid of the Dinan after it bowed and both brackets broke! The M7 is much thicker and stronger. So far, no more 'shrooming.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:36 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
I've had the M7 plates for over a year now - they do the trick!

Old 03-10-2007, 12:44 AM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
my passenger side has very slight mushrooming, driver side flat. just bolted on the m7 tower brace, didn't hammer the shrooming in since it was very minor and the plate fitted onto the bolts fine, but consequently the plate isn't completely flat on that side. this ok? don't want to hammer the sheetmetal, i feel this would actually weaken it

Old 03-10-2007, 01:30 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Simply put......M7 plates rock. I had them waiting when I took delivery. Very easy to install and a Must Have for the R53s. I would hammer out a small amount of shrooms and reinstall the plate. Severe shrooms might require a bit more correction and possibly tower replacement (hopefully under warranty). We have a lot of pot holes in our Denver area roads after our past winter, the M7s were one of my best mods.
Regardless of what anyone might say to you.........Shrooms are not good in MINIland. Just say NO to Shrooms.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 AM
mininana
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by roaduscarnivorous
my passenger side has very slight mushrooming, driver side flat. just bolted on the m7 tower brace, didn't hammer the shrooming in since it was very minor and the plate fitted onto the bolts fine, but consequently the plate isn't completely flat on that side. this ok? don't want to hammer the sheetmetal, i feel this would actually weaken it
What they did at the dealership was simply take a 2 X 4 piece of wood and place it on the top of the 'shroomed tower and hammer on it with a mallet until it's flat again. Of course, in the process, they put a small crease in my bonnet that had to be fixed by the ding doctor, but they paid for that. I would assume that it's kinda hard to really hammer with the bonnet right there in the way. Just be careful, but doing it yourself is lots cheaper (*cough...$110/hr....cough*). Hitting potholes and mushrooming your towers will not be covered under warranty. Trust me.....that's what happened to both of mine, plus I ruined my Dinan brace and both brackets snapped. M7 brace is much stronger!! I really like mine.

Last edited by mininana; 03-10-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2007, 08:51 AM
awisemini
1st Gear
I got my Red M7 reenforcing plates from Way of WayMotorWorks. I think he is the only dealer who offers them in color. I love the extra bling they add.

www.waymotorworks.com
miniguru7@yahoo.com