Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Died while on highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Died while on highway

My wife was driving her '04 (~22K miles) MC tonight and without warning and without ceremony, it just died on the highway. She pulled off the highway, shut off the car (check engine light and oil light was on) The car was restarted, but it died within 1-2 seconds after catching. But it did turn over just fine, so the battery's good.

I got there and checked the basics, nothing obvious going on (oil was clean and full BTW), but didn't bother trying to restart it. We were in a place where if we got it started and past 100 yards, we'd be in a very bad spot to break down over the river, a relatively long bridge and no shoulder on the right. It's on its way via tow truck to Mini Center in San Antonio.

I'm guessing fuel pump or clogged fuel filter by the behavior, but that's just a WAG. Anyone else have a thought?

I read the report of the CVT blowing going from College Station to Dallas, and the behavior here isn't the same. Although, this is the second CVT. It was replaced at about 15K due to the grinding/moaning noises, reportedly from the wrong tranny fluid fill at the factory.

Our records show the car was picked up on 1/29/2004, so she's got a scant 21 days of warranty left. Hopefully this won't be a three week "there's nothing wrong with it" argument followed by "Oh! THERE's your problem!"

-W-

Old 01-09-2007, 03:43 AM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't sweat the warranty. As long as it is at the dealer before "time's up", you're good. You might also use this opportunity to list everything that might be wrong with the car, just to get it on record before the magic date.
Now to the problem; it does sound fuel system related from what you said. Don't know if you tried, but did the fuel pump come on when turning on the key? Plenty of gas in the car? Any prior problems?
Let us know what the dealer says.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Called them today and left info about it. The car had gas, and would start, but wouldn't stay running. The only other issue we've noticed recently is a slight drag/click when turning the wheel at low speed, but PS fluid looks good and full and clear (it has a color, but is clear).

I need to check the warranty booklet, but online I'm finding a 4yr/40000mi warranty referenced. I thought it was 3/36K, but maybe I'm just thinking of the roadside assistance.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:39 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3/36K is for scheduled maintenace - 4/50K is the warranty period

Old 01-09-2007, 10:40 AM
SCMiniGuy
2nd Gear
it's 4/50000

The basic warranty is 4 years or 50000 miles, so you're ok . The scheduled maintenance warranty is 3/36000.

My 4/50 is up on 1/21/07, since I took delivery on 1/21/03.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:11 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
A relief about the warranty. Talked to dealer today and they said they could find nothing wrong. No engine code, fuel pump pressure was good, they drove it for 20 miles with no problems.

I had a car do this to me once before on the highway. Restarted just fine and it never happened again. Hopefully this won't come back. But if it does, we're in the system.

-W-

Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Green Goblin
3rd Gear
you take your mini to mini center in SA. i was wondering how is thier service becuase i'm tired of driving to houston to get my car serviced.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:06 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Green Goblin
you take your mini to mini center in SA. i was wondering how is thier service becuase i'm tired of driving to houston to get my car serviced.
We've never had a problem with the service per se. I hear they're expanding the MINI area, which would be a good thing. The service waiting area at least was shared with BMW, and there were only one or two service writers for MINI, and getting ahold of someone to schedule used to be a problem, but lately it hasn't been.

They want to give you a ride to a mall for oil changes and routine checkups, which can take 2-3 hours, in our experience, but my wife prefers to wait, and with other manufacturers building in creature comforts in the service waiting area (my Toyota dealer has really good coffee, free Wi-Fi, comfy chairs, a spacious waiting area) an improvement in the accomodations would be a Good Thing. Making the drive down there on 290 is more fun than I-35 by a long shot, too. Hilly roads, less traffic, decent scenery. I-35 is a wasteland.

I happen to be buying from Moritz in Arlington for my 2007 though. Not anything against Mini Center though at all -- I have family in Fort Worth, I travel there relatively often, and when I get the MINI, my mom gets my 4Runner, so it'll make that hand-off easy, and I can combine maintenance with my family visits.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:19 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Is your wife's MINI Solid Gold? Did the car die on South Mopac right around Lake Austin Blvd? If so, I passed you guys... I thought about stopping to offer help, but then again, most of the MINIs here are not into the whole MINI craze, so I thought the person might have just thought I was crazy...

Anyways, best of luck with getting the MINI back in shape!

Old 01-11-2007, 08:24 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Oh, by the way...to the other poster about MINI of SA service.

I would have to agree with Dwdyer said. It would be really nice if there was a SEPERATE service center for MINI, rather than conjoined with BMW. MINI is kind of shoved in a little corner right by the door. Also, it is inconvenient that they only offer loaner cars to their BMW clients . However, like Dwdyer said, they do have a shuttle service to a mall/movie theater. When I take my car in for service, I usually just go catch a movie or two while my MINI is being worked on...

Old 01-12-2007, 04:56 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
Is your wife's MINI Solid Gold? Did the car die on South Mopac right around Lake Austin Blvd? If so, I passed you guys... I thought about stopping to offer help, but then again, most of the MINIs here are not into the whole MINI craze, so I thought the person might have just thought I was crazy... Anyways, best of luck with getting the MINI back in shape!
That was her! Just past Bee Caves Rd.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 AM
Pipper
1st Gear
Stalling on Highway

I'm actually at the dealer right now after my '06 MCSa shut off randomly on the highway last week. I put er in neutral and cycled the ignition switch and she fired back up. The CEL did not stay on so who knows if it registered a code. Kinda frightening tho, as I was just about to go onto the Tappan Zee bridge at rush hour. I'll post again when they tell me there's nothing wrong and I'm crazy

Old 01-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Pipper
1st Gear
Yep...

They of course found nothing wrong. There were no faults visible (they think some may have been wiped out in the few hundred miles of driving since). I'll repost if anything else happens.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:01 PM
CabMike
1st Gear
MC died going down the highway

Any results from anyone on this thread? My wife's 2005 died today going down the highway at 70. She said it just shut off. It was raining today so I'm thinking it could be related to a sensor getting wet. It did this one previous time after going through a carwash.

Thanks for any help!
Mike

Old 04-19-2007, 07:59 PM
CabMike
1st Gear
I think we solved the problem of our car dying on the highway. The dealer found a pair of "crimped" wires on my wife's mini for the crank sensor and that seems to have solved the problem with the car shutting off in the rain. They did not find it the first time and I waited until it was raining to pick the car up. I made it 6 miles from the dealer when it died on me. I think they took me serious then after having to pick the car up in the middle of rush hour on the freeway!

Just wanted to give an update in case anyone else is having problems.

Mike