Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Phantom Misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 03:43 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phantom Misfire?

After searching relentlessly for some ideas on what could have happened, I still find myself at a loss...

Driving from Milwaukee to Galena, IL yesterday and traveling down HWY11, about 37degrees out. Since it was Christmas day it was quite void of other travelers. After making a quick pitstop for gas and munchies, I decided to pull back onto the HWY in a more "spirited" fashion.

Quick acceleration, 1st gear sounded great up to 6000rpms, kick to second, enjoying the thrill which I've grown to love about my MINI until she got to about 5500rpms in second gear.... she just stopped going up, it felt like I had lost all power.... felt a jolt... and the co-pilot (a.k.a. the wife) mentioned that she say a greyish/blackish smoke out the back. I let off the gas and put her (the car, not the wife) into 4th through 6th where we continued on up to 60mph.

No SES, No SES/ASC, No limp mode.... no nothing to indicate any kind of trouble, and we didn't have any more issues for the last 50miles.

Went out motoring again today and brought the MINI up to 5K rpm and didn't have a single issue.

I know this is a vague question, but what happened?

If I'm not mistaken, missfires throw some sort of code... but what else would make the car give a jolt and black smoke poof out the tail?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:45 PM
namwob
5th Gear
I wouldn't be too alarmed. Probably filling up stirred up a little water/ condensation from your tank or the station. The smoke was from a quick carbon cleaning from the steam cleaning. I got a tank full from a station after a fill-up Coughed & spitt for a week No codes. Dealership couldn't figure it out. I suspected it but wanted them to check it to make sure it wasn't something else. The next tank imediately cleared it up. Afterwards I checked the Cat to make sure I didn't burn a hole through it . All OK

Old 12-26-2006, 10:16 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by namwob
I wouldn't be too alarmed. Probably filling up stirred up a little water/ condensation from your tank or the station. The smoke was from a quick carbon cleaning from the steam cleaning. I got a tank full from a station after a fill-up Coughed & spitt for a week No codes. Dealership couldn't figure it out. I suspected it but wanted them to check it to make sure it wasn't something else. The next tank imediately cleared it up. Afterwards I checked the Cat to make sure I didn't burn a hole through it . All OK
Whew... Thanks for putting my mind to ease, especially with the drive back tomorrow. You explained that really well.