Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Service Engine Soon light keeps coming back on

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
lisdexic driver
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Engine Soon light keeps coming back on

I have taken my beloved MINI in for dervice twice now because the SES light comes on. 1st time I was told it was one of the oxygen sensors, they fixed it and two days later the SES light pops back on, took it back to my SA and was told this time it was the other oxygen sensor. Fine, drove away ands two day later the SES just came back on. WTF???? I have a wee bit over 15,000 miles on my MCSa, and this problem is driving me mad. Just wondering if any others have had similar problems?
Early on in ownership I had SES problems, but the moved the wires replace a sensor and it was good till now.
Thanks.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my car did that right after getting V42.... no reason, 02 sensors were
fine, but kept giving error codes every other week for a few months.

after i did an oil change, coincidentally the SES went out for good.
humm...

Old 10-10-2006, 11:49 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a little over 10K on mine, nothing like that. Sounds like a PAIN. I guess I would keep bringing it back, though, because those lights mean something, and its hardly ever good. Good luck w/ it.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:51 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
My SES light came on a couple of weekends ago, first trouble on my MC in 2.5 years ownership.
Took it to the dealer, they extinguished the light, said one of the O2 sensors was "acting up". I didn't get a copy of a work order to indicate if it was the pre- or post-cat sensor.
They said if it recurs to bring it back and the suspect sensor would require replacing. Also said there was no harm in driving with the light on, a good thing that, as we drove 190 miles to partake in a mountain MINI run!
The SES light has not come on since. (I wonder if it's waiting for the warranty to expire?)

Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
05BRGS
1st Gear
My SES light came on shortly after my 10K service. The oil cap was loose .

Gas cap happens all the time here in jersey, the land of you can't pump your own. Its a small price to pay for paying less for gas than NY and not having to get out of your car when its raining or snowing.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:42 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If the area around the fuel filler opening is dirty, try wiping it clean before replacing your gas cap. This seems to be a common source of the recurring SES light... Give your MINI a day to recognize it - if it doesn't go away, take it back to the dealer: way too many sensor failures linked to this single indicator!

_Dave_

Old 10-10-2006, 03:08 PM
lisdexic driver
3rd Gear
Thanks all. My SA said to bring it in and they'll get me loaner while they try and sort it out. I'll keep you posted as it progresses.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 PM
BECOKA
4th Gear
I used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the O2 sensors went bad. The dealer said I probably bought some bad gas. This was coincidentally shortly after I tried USA gas for the first time. Never had an issue again after switching back to name brand gas.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:44 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
I guess my original post was too soon.
Coming to work yesterday the SES light came on. I called the dealer, they shuttled me back and forth to work and replaced the pre-cat oxygen sensor.
Life's good under warranty.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:14 PM
lisdexic driver
3rd Gear
I heard from my SA yeasterday, they said the Oxygen sensor was failing, the one they just replaced. He asked if they could keep it overnight and be sure it doen't go out again. This is the 3rd set of oxygen sensors is 15000 miles. Very suspect. I hope they get to the botom of it. For now I am driving a Ford Torus they rented me, and hating it. It has soo much less room inside than my MINI. I miss my MINI!

Old 10-12-2006, 02:27 PM
BECOKA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lisdexic driver
I heard from my SA yeasterday, they said the Oxygen sensor was failing, the one they just replaced. He asked if they could keep it overnight and be sure it doen't go out again. This is the 3rd set of oxygen sensors is 15000 miles. Very suspect. I hope they get to the botom of it. For now I am driving a Ford Torus they rented me, and hating it. It has soo much less room inside than my MINI. I miss my MINI!
Just curious, do you always fill up at the same gas station over the last 15,000 miles? I have no clue as to what would cause it other than what happened on my Jeep and what the mechanic said about bad gas.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:05 PM
lisdexic driver
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BECOKA
Just curious, do you always fill up at the same gas station over the last 15,000 miles? I have no clue as to what would cause it other than what happened on my Jeep and what the mechanic said about bad gas.
No I use a couple of defferent gas stations, all Main brands, always preimeum.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:48 PM
lisdexic driver
3rd Gear
Sooo, they replaced my back O2 sensor(again), kept the car for 2 days to see if the SES light would come back on. It didn't, and I got my MINI back. Man-O-Man did I miss it. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope the dreaded SES doesn't come back.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:31 AM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
Originally Posted by lisdexic driver
I have taken my beloved MINI in for dervice twice now because the SES light comes on. 1st time I was told it was one of the oxygen sensors, they fixed it and two days later the SES light pops back on, took it back to my SA and was told this time it was the other oxygen sensor. Fine, drove away ands two day later the SES just came back on. WTF???? I have a wee bit over 15,000 miles on my MCSa, and this problem is driving me mad. Just wondering if any others have had similar problems?
Early on in ownership I had SES problems, but the moved the wires replace a sensor and it was good till now.
Thanks.
Maybe its the other O2 sensor.
Seriously, I hate those lights. Just pull the bulb.