Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Seat Feels Like it Slips Forward

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 AM
schreyerplace
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Feels Like it Slips Forward

I'm still getting used to my new 2006 MCS and I have a question concerning the front seats.

The adjustment mechanism, for lack of better term, appears to be 'analog' rather than 'digital'. What I mean by that is that it seems that you're allowed to set the seat at a theoretically infinite number of locations rather than at a predefined 'slot' or 'notch in a track'.

If I'm wrong then please correct my hypothesis.

Is it because of the seat mechanism that it feels like the seat moves forward a tiny bit during aggressive braking? When I hit the brakes aggressively I can feel my seat belt snug up and then ease off as I slow down. So it doesn't seem like there is actual movement of the seat but just some play in the mechanism that I'm unaccustomed to.

Anybody else experience this or am I just nuts.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:15 AM
DCjeff
1st Gear
Movement

When I first got my car, I had a similar sensation. However, mine was more a feeling of moving back under acceleration. I never figured out whether the movement was real or perceived. At any rate, I've either gotten used to it or its gone away, because I don't notice it any more. But, in the beginning it was driving me batty.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 AM
litabelle
3rd Gear
You're not the only one

I have this "gremlin" too. Forwards and back. Even when I adjust seats, I push back really hard on it to make sure it's, well, seated properly. I still get that forward and backwards motion, and I feel it in the small of my back. I think a lot of us do.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 AM
seamus628
1st Gear
moving seats

Same with my May ,06 MCS. Seat moves forward and back depending on braking. I'll have the dealer take a look shortly.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a similar problem on my 03 MCS. The back portion of the seat was moving forward when breaking... Couple of parts in the driver's seat were replaced by the dealer under warranty. That took care of the problem and the seat is rock-solid now.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
schreyerplace
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by volki
Had a similar problem on my 03 MCS. The back portion of the seat was moving forward when breaking... Couple of parts in the driver's seat were replaced by the dealer under warranty. That took care of the problem and the seat is rock-solid now.
This actually feels more like the entire seat is rocking/stretching forward or back. If I use my legs to push/pull myself backward/forward in the seat (while the car is stopped) I can see the seat move a little bit.

I've even had a passenger ask if I'd noticed it on the driver's side when he noticed it on the passenger side. He kept adjusting his seat thinking maybe he didn't get it engaged appropriately. It's fully engaged though because the seat always returns to its original position when pressure/force is removed.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:34 PM
idoc
2nd Gear
I have the same problem when braking I feel the seat move. I have an 06 MCSC!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:54 PM
miniflip80
2nd Gear
When I first got my MCS I felt it each time I drove it, seat moving back under accelaration and seat moving forward while braking. A year later, sometimes I feel it sometimes I dont.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:37 PM
2005MCS/KK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DCjeff
When I first got my car, I had a similar sensation. However, mine was more a feeling of moving back under acceleration. I never figured out whether the movement was real or perceived. At any rate, I've either gotten used to it or its gone away, because I don't notice it any more. But, in the beginning it was driving me batty.
Same here, mine is a 05MCS, I felt the same thing at the beginning, but after a year, rather I get used to it or it fixed it by itself, lol.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:42 PM
VBG
3rd Gear
Front driver and passenger seats...

I've got an 06, it could be there are some differences between years, but on mine, there are 2 issues...

First issue, there are grooves or detents into which the locking mechanism fits. They are small so it seems that there is a smooth transition from one position to the next. When you accelerate or break hard, you can feel it softly snap into place if you are between detents. In my experience so far, once in position, it does not slip out...

When you are parked you can make this less noticable after situating your seat the way you like it. Do this by releasing the passenger entrance lever, tilting the seat-back forward, then pushing the whole seat so it slides fully forward as if to let someone into the back seat. When you push it back into place, seat-bottom first, then tilting the seat-back back, the locking mechanism will find the nearest detent and remain there until you move it around again.

Second issue, the seats are not totally stiff and they do give during hard acceleration and breaking. If you have someone else drive (somewhat agressively) and sit in back, you can watch the driver and (when occupied) the front passenger seat-backs sway forward and back with the g-forces. I've never seen them fail and loose position, even among my friends who have had front or rear end accidents, but they do have a lot of give built into them.

Best,

-- Don

Old 07-19-2008, 05:05 AM
davavd
6th Gear
This thread only had a 5 day run, but this is all I found. My drivers seat moves about 1/4" during hard stops & starts, and I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago. Playing with it in the garage, I can tell that the movement is between the seat and the floor track, in the diagonal arms. The passenger seat is solid. I guess I'll get the dealer to look at it, but since they are 75 miles away, it may be awhile before I get there. Anyone know any fixes for this?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:18 AM
cpayne
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here..drives me nutz..any short-term fix? As the dealer is far for me too..and this is driving me nutty.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 PM
ranczar
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone ever figure out what the problem is with this? I've got an '06 MCSC with the same issue. (Slight movement of driver seat during aggressive braking and/or cornering.)

I just had the car in for service and I requested they check it out. Upon pick up, I was told they replaced the seat rails. No problems for the first couple days, but now it feels like it's starting to happen again. So I'm looking for some clues here!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 AM
jasmith001
1st Gear
I have exactly the same problem with my '06 MCS. No amount of wiggling or forcing gets it to feel anchored, so I don't think it's that the seat hasn't locked into the detents. It's almost as if the seat is moving around *inside* the detent, as if the tolerances in the seat or seat rail aren't tight enough...

Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yep, another 06 MCS with a seat that seems to have a seat rail detent where the tab that fits into the slot seems to have a bit of slop. I can sit in the seat and force it back and forward and feel it move.

I'm going back to my dealer soon just before my 50K miles is here and have them look at this and other things and will post what happens.

YD

Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM
solberg
2nd Gear
I had the same problem on an 06 MCS. The dealer replaced the frame assembly but no help. I've learned to live with it.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:44 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
interesting reading this thread. I don't really have this problem, but try this... when you adjust your seat again and you have it "locked" in place. Try placing your hands on the steering wheel and pushing back to see if it snaps into that final slot.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Black Boots
1st Gear
I also have the same problem 05 mcs.. I just bought 07 mcs seats and hope they will work out..

Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Mr Ballyhoo
1st Gear
I have a similar issue in my R53 where under heavy acceleration I can feel a slight almost knocking/popping movement in the seat. I've tracked mine down to the lumbar support thing in the center of the seat. At first I thought it was one of my klean kanteen bottle rolling in the back hitting my seat or something in the back net/pouch. But I've definitely pin pointed it to the lumbar support in the center.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The "YD Seat Fix"

I had the same problem, I posted the fix on a dif thread, but here is the skinny. It is easier the first time to remove the seat. If you remove the seat be sure to:

Turn the ignition off and put your key in your pocket, or if you are ****, disconnect the battery (actually not necessary), just do not turn the ignition on for any reason while the airbag wires under the seat (yellow) are disconnected. It will set your ab light which requires a special reset tool.

Unbolt your front and back torx screws that hold your seat to the floor. Lean your whole seat back (helps to have your rear seats upright to make room.

Unplug all the wiring connectors and remove seat.

Place seat upside down on something clean (an old quit or blanket works well)

You will see that there is a silver module on each side that hold three male prongs that extend and retract into the holes in the bottom rail (easily seen). This silver module with the male prongs is bolted to the bottom of the seat with more torx screws (NO. 25 I think). These have become loose, just tighten these up and your problem is now fixed.

If it ever loosens again, since you know how to do it, all you need to do is unbolt and lean your seat way back and tighten the screws in place. If mine ever loosens again I'll be applying some thread lock.

This is a good time to vacuum out all those petrified french fries under your seat.

The dealer won't even acknowledge that this is a problem, just one of those things you just fix yourself and motor on. You can thank me later, haha.

YD

The following users liked this post:
Rob Hunt (06-18-2018)
Old 12-23-2009, 08:01 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Mine (03 MC) had this problem in the driver's seat after a couple years.
The rocking came from some play in the up/down adjuster. This allowed
for some front to rear movement (coupled with some up/down movement)
especially during braking going down a hill or accellerating up a hill.
The seat rail was replaced under warranty with improvement, but it has
come back a little over the last few years.