Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Spontaneous engine bay fires!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:01 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rederik
I wouldn't think the starter motor, if somehow it got powered, would be strong enough to move a handbraked car. Sorry I thought you parked it that way.

Hopefully, even with the extensive damage, a definite cause will be found.
+1 the starter does not have enough power to move a car, plus if it was an automatic it would essentially be in neutral as it's considered out of gear. (don't quote me on it)

Old 09-12-2011, 10:41 PM
SegaSpyder
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An addition to this list

Well guys I usually don't post much, but all the insight I've gained for my MCS was great. The community on here is great. But I'm posting on this post because my MCS 02' with 67k on it just burned to the ground... it started on the right side of the engine bay so yeah right where the ABS is located so yeah now waiting on seeing what it actually was. If want to see a sad video here it is, caught it with my phone... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfpSs_Iz8SI Time to look for a new one.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks. Glad to hear you're not ready to abandon the brand over this.

It's amazing how large and intense the fire from a burning MINI can be.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 AM
WhoopetySmacks
Neutral
All Gen 1's need a fire extinguisher!!!!

I was lucky enough to catch the fire on my 03 MCS before all hell broke loose. Mine was the PSP. I replaced it with a unit out of an 04 and promptly mounted a fire extinguisher in the boot. Gave my wife a lesson on how to use it and off she went. IF YOU OWN A GEN 1; ESPECIALLY AN 02-05 DON'T LET YOUR MINI BURN. Invest $20 in a fire extinguisher.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 AM
Gil-galad
I don't believe this other incident I ran across has been documented yet in this thread.

It's a pretty spectacular (and sobering) clip:

Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM
LowMo
1st Gear
Wow. If you haven't replaced your PS pump, don't carry fireworks!

Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I don't believe this other incident I ran across has been documented yet in this thread.
I have a 09 MCS and this still freaks me out. Have stopped parking the car in the garage because of videos like that1

Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM
KLLRB2
1st Gear
Please report this to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. They have an investigation open but only know of 3 fires. So, If you had a fire, please report it. http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

I've copied the text below from the website:

NHTSA Action Number: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/results.cfm

NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: EA11005</SPAN> N/A Make: MINI Model: COOPER S Manufacturer : BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Model Year : 2005Component(s) :
STEERING
STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:PUMP
STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
Date Investigation Opened : May 4, 2011Date Investigation Closed : Open Summary:
ODI has received 339 complaints alleging an unexpected loss of power steering assist while driving the vehicle. When the power steering assist stops working, drivers experienced difficulty in steering and/or controlling the vehicle. According to BMW drivers may experience either a temporary or permanent loss of power steering assist. BMW further advised that a temporary loss of power steering assist may be due to a malfunctioning cooling fan or an under-voltage condition in the power steering system. A permanent loss of power steering assist may be due to an error in the internal electronics, and may also result in the continuous running of the power steering pump. The VOQ complaints allege 5 minor crashes and 3 fires. The crashes are described as "hit the curb". The fires are described as "melted wires". There were no property damage claims. ODI has received similar complaints for other model year Mini Cooper vehicles. Additional information is required to evaluate the frequency, consequence, and scope of this issue. Accordingly, the investigation has been upgraded to an Engineering Analysis.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 PM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KLLRB2
Please report this to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. They have an investigation open but only know of 3 fires. So, If you had a fire, please report it. http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects
bump for this extremely important information

Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Hmmmm.... I wonder if we could send this whole thread????

KLLRB2, thank you for the info...

Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
it's worth a try

Old 10-19-2011, 07:41 AM
mousemaniac
Neutral
NHTSA Finally Investigating Fires in Cooper S

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/nhts...ial-81941.html

Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 AM
mousemaniac
Neutral
NHTSA Investigating 2007-2008 Mini Cooper S for Fire Potential

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/nhts...ial-81941.html

Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 AM
chuckweb1
Neutral
NHTSA Investigation

See attached letter outlining the NHTSA request for information from BMW North America concerning model year 2007 through 2008 Mini Cooper S fires.

Contact at NHTSA is Kareem Habib (kareem.habib@dot.gov). Email him if you have information, or more importantly file a complaint on the NHTSA website.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
nhtsa letter.pdf (37.6 KB, 683 views)
Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Gil-galad
This thread is becoming less and less the specific 1st Gen thread that it was when Jenn (i.e., SCoop) started it for the MINI community back in 2006.

I'm not downplaying the importance of the 2nd Gen fires info (heck, I own one now) but I'm afraid a lot of 2nd Gen owners may never look in here because this thread is buried in the 1st Gen forum. And if it gets placed in the 2nd Gen forum a lot of valuable historical data will be easily overlooked by the 1st Gen folks.

By most accounts, the suspected root causes for the fire reports between the two generations of MINIs appear to be quite dissimilar.

Mods, what say ye?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Germarican
2nd Gear
My 2010 Clubbie caught fire last night. Luckily(?), my wife and I were getting ready to drive home. Got in, pushed the start button and within 5 seconds, there was white smoke coming from under the hood. The connector that melted and burned was directly beneath the oil filter housing....

Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 PM
CJ Long
Neutral
I was shocked to read this thread...Here is my story:

Saturday, January 7, 2012, I parked my 2011 MINI Clubman S and went inside a fast food restaurant for only 10 minutes, when I returned to my MINI, I was shocked to see smoke coming from under the hood. I released the hood latch and tried without success to open the hood. A nearby witness called out to me as he ran to assist with an extinguisher realizing my car was on fire. I immediately called 911 and stood helplessly watching as my 4-month old car was engulfed in flames within minutes. There were no previous warnings displayed...If my dog, who travels with me quite often had been in the car as I went inside, I cannot imagine how I would be feeling right now...Losing the car was difficult, and now, I realize how fortunate I was not to lose more, considering the fact I parked the MINI in my garage every night as I returned home from work. The fire is currently under investigation, so I cannot name the failed components, but I will update this information once the investigation is complete.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM
FerRrari
2nd Gear
I hadn't seen this thread. I have already filed a complaint with NHTSA.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Germarican
2nd Gear
My little inferno turned out to be the secondary water pump connector. Luckily, I caught mine and it was fixable. Had I been parked on a street and not two stories underground in a parking garage, I would have taken my wife's hand and went for coffee. I love my car, but this is ridiculous....

Old 01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Germarican
2nd Gear
Make sure you file a complaint with the NHSTA. Let these issues be heard and we can hope for a recall and an actual fix. The fix, as of now, is to replace the parts and hope for the best....

Originally Posted by CJ Long
I was shocked to read this thread...Here is my story:

Saturday, January 7, 2012, I parked my 2011 MINI Clubman S and went inside a fast food restaurant for only 10 minutes, when I returned to my MINI, I was shocked to see smoke coming from under the hood. I released the hood latch and tried without success to open the hood. A nearby witness called out to me as he ran to assist with an extinguisher realizing my car was on fire. I immediately called 911 and stood helplessly watching as my 4-month old car was engulfed in flames within minutes. There were no previous warnings displayed...If my dog, who travels with me quite often had been in the car as I went inside, I cannot imagine how I would be feeling right now...Losing the car was difficult, and now, I realize how fortunate I was not to lose more, considering the fact I parked the MINI in my garage every night as I returned home from work. The fire is currently under investigation, so I cannot name the failed components, but I will update this information once the investigation is complete.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:34 PM
CJ Long
Neutral
Thanks Germarican, report filed...

In case the above link doesn't work, click below.
http://nhthqnwas700.nhtsa.dot.gov/co...e&refurl=email

Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Looks like Canadian MINIs are getting a Transport Canada recall which appears related to the problem some of you have in this thread with the R56 (even though this is in the 1st Gen sub forum). It covers 2007-2011 Cooper S and JCW models.

On certain vehicles, the auxiliary water pump (which cools the turbocharger after the engine is turned OFF) can overheat and fail. This could result in a vehicle fire causing property damage and/or personal injury. Correction: Dealers will replace the auxiliary water pump. Note: Owners are advised to park the vehicle outdoors until the remedy is applied.
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...eng&rn=2012008

Last edited by Ferroequine; 01-13-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:30 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power Sterring Pump melt down

Lost power steering at highway speed, pulled over had tons of smoke from under hood with key off could still here pump running, disconnected battery fire stopped, electrical side of pump melted, all electrical plugs melted

Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dhabutcher
Lost power steering at highway speed, pulled over had tons of smoke from under hood with key off could still here pump running, disconnected battery fire stopped, electrical side of pump melted, all electrical plugs melted
This has to stop........... What year is your car?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power sterring pump melt down

08/2003 Cooper S, Just got a bid from local dealer 1480.00 in parts.
No labor, the parts person stated they would not warranty the new pump unless all lines and fluid tank was also changed, Oh and Plus the melted connectors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spontaneous engine bay fires!