Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mod. advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:03 PM
amp'dmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod. advice

I am Newly addicted Mini modifier. I recently purchased an 03 mcs. I ordered mods the first week i had the car and did things a little backwords due to availability.

I have installed:
Alta 15% pulley
Megan Racing Header
Magnaflow Exhaust
Shark injector
Alta short shifter

My plans where to get the M7 Air Gain System. I have been waiting over a month and can not take the agony of waiting anymore.

So I need advice from the professionals.

What do I do? Do I wait for the M7? What do I get instead? Do I just get CAI or Do I get CAI and TB?

Also anything I can do to quiet the monster down a bit in the cabin? She brings an instant headache upon entering the highway.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by amp'dmini

Also anything I can do to quiet the monster down a bit in the cabin? She brings an instant headache upon entering the highway.
Not much is going to quiet down the drone of the Magnaflow. . . that's why I put my stock exhaust back on. . . ..

Adding an intake will add even more noise inside. . .

Old 01-19-2006, 09:15 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
I would swich the Magnaflow for a Milltek. It has a great sound in and out of the car without being annoying. I really like my Alta intake. It makes a nice sound under heavy acceleration but is quiet when cruising. It makes about the best power as well(for an intake). I have heard the M7 AGS and I thought it sounded great but it was loud.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a look for a post on sound deadening from Home Depo...
This "sounds" like it really helps...
Do you have a sunroof ? if so just crack it a bit and it really helps cut the drone.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:28 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
You have a Magnaflow which is the loudest massproduced aftermarket exhaust for the MINI attached to an aftermarket header. Its going to be loud

You could start to fill your car with sound dampening to add weight and lessen the cabin noise.

As for the M7 AGS you can wait for it and be happy you waited or just order another one and be pissed you never got what you really wanted. Also the CAI will add alot of noise to your car But I hear the AGS adds the least amount of cabin noise.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At this point you need to work on your suspension. Add a rear swaybar,
camber plates, rear control arms, and upgrade your shocks and springs.
More power doesn't help you, except on a straight line, if the car won't
handle and that is the MINI's strength.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:04 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, you can cut a great deal of the exhaust noise with a couple of sq. ft. of thick carpet.

Cut a piece to fit just inside from the taillights, and another to replace the fake carpet on the backside of the cubbys in the boot. This muffles the exhaust noise that is getting in via the thin plastic taillights...

Old 01-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by amp'dmini

So I need advice from the professionals.

What do I do? Do I wait for the M7? What do I get instead? Do I just get CAI or Do I get CAI and TB?

Any help is appreciated.
I am no professional...however, here's what I have to offer based on my expirence...

you are best off with a foam filter CAI...like the alta...everything else is no different...so save your money. Same with a TB...it REALLY makes no difference...again, that's my expirence...

As for the loudness of your exhaust...try crackin the sun roof or windows just a bit...I find that helps alot...