Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

homelink system

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 04:36 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
homelink system

Happy Holidays to all:

Hope you had a nice Christmas dinner. I was programming the homelink system this morning with no luck. I followed the exact procedure in the manual, but the system didn't seem to pick up the code from my remote (rolling code garage opener). So I went on to try pressing the trained button 3 times after pressing the learn button on back of the garage motor unit. No luck, I erased all codes several times and re-trained the button several times, same deal. I even followed the garage door MFR instruction to train the homelink system, still going no where. Could anyone please kind enough to offer some help?

Old 12-25-2005, 05:38 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Sorry guys, I went to the homelink system site and got better instruction. I got it figured out. Thanks anyway.

Old 12-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You're really gonna love that homelink feature. It took me lots of trying to get it programmed as well. I had to do it in a certain order to get the car programmed without erasing my outdoor keypad or vice versa. The Homelink website was the key.

Old 12-25-2005, 07:43 PM
schernov
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tarzan
You're really gonna love that homelink feature. It took me lots of trying to get it programmed as well. I had to do it in a certain order to get the car programmed without erasing my outdoor keypad or vice versa. The Homelink website was the key.
Is there a way to fit into a 2004 mini?

Old 12-25-2005, 08:40 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
It turned out to be a dying battery in the remote. It took 3 seconds for the homelink to get trained once a new battery was used. It took me less than 2 minutes to program the second garage with my wife's help. I am loving it.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:22 AM
drdave
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schernov
Is there a way to fit into a 2004 mini?
I posed this same question a few months ago. According to my service advisor this can't be retrofitted to earlier models. I have asked that anyone with this mirror to please remove it (it is very easy to do) and tell us how it is wired. We could then try to wire for it ourselves.
I'd love to be able to add the Homelink mirror to my 2004 since I have 2 garages.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:58 AM
schernov
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drdave
I posed this same question a few months ago. According to my service advisor this can't be retrofitted to earlier models. I have asked that anyone with this mirror to please remove it (it is very easy to do) and tell us how it is wired. We could then try to wire for it ourselves.
I'd love to be able to add the Homelink mirror to my 2004 since I have 2 garages.
So homelink is in in the mirror, right?

How about getting a homelink unit from BMW 3/5 series and put it into the black oval plastic cover where the sunroof switch is in...?

Old 12-27-2005, 10:43 AM
drdave
3rd Gear
So homelink is in in the mirror, right?

How about getting a homelink unit from BMW 3/5 series and put it into the black oval plastic cover where the sunroof switch is in...?
I've already tried that with no success but it was with a different OEM brand of transmitter. I did buy a BMW unit but it was for my wife's 323 and it is prewired for it.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:22 AM
schernov
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drdave
I've already tried that with no success but it was with a different OEM brand of transmitter. I did buy a BMW unit but it was for my wife's 323 and it is prewired for it.
Homelink only needs positive constant and positive switched (depending if you want it to work all the time or only with key in)...any generic homelink transmitter should work.
How about just replacing the whole mirror with aftermarket one with homelink>

Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you might want to use a battery for homelink (not the car battery)...because
each time you unplug your car battery it'd be a pita to re-program it again.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The homelink rearview mirror retains its programming when you disconnect the car battery--just as your garage door opener continues to work after removing and reinserting its battery.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:19 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarzan
The homelink rearview mirror retains its programming when you disconnect the car battery--just as your garage door opener continues to work after removing and reinserting its battery.
you know wat, you're right.

my head was somewhere else.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:40 AM
drdave
3rd Gear
Homelink only needs positive constant and positive switched (depending if you want it to work all the time or only with key in)...any generic homelink transmitter should work.
How about just replacing the whole mirror with aftermarket one with homelink>
I'm aware of that but I would still like to see what the wiring harness/plug looks like for the Homelink mirror. While I was digging around inside my headliner looking for a 12v source I came across a couple of unused plugs above the sunroof switch.
I don't think that an aftermarket mirror would fit the MINI mounting point.