Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Direction Signal Lense Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 10:12 AM
REITT
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, I had some road trash "kick-up" and knock out the left-hand directional signal lense...the lense is in multiple pieces. The dealer told me the front bumper/valence assembly would have to be removed to replace the lense and it will cost a couple hundred dollars + to replace it!! The bumper has to be dropped down???? Can someone confirm this. Thanks

FOLLOW UP: I got the directional light and it was about $25.00. It comes as a complete package including the 2 bulbs. The lense is sealed to the body of the light assembly. It took me about 30 minutes to put it in and it was pretty easy. I removed a handful of screws that were easy to get to. The toughest part was to unclip the upper, middle portion of the bumper section without breaking it. I saved about $150.00 dealer labor cost. Thanks again to those that helped!! :smile:

Old 01-27-2003, 12:13 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had the same problem. Drivers side also. I ordered the part. about 25 bucks. It is one unit. no replacing the lense. I have not done it yet as it is cold and snowy in Iowa. It does appear that the front bumper trim will have to come off. I would have done it right away to prevent damage but since it is all one unit no further damage will result. As soon as it warms up I will replace it. If you can be patient I will let you know how difficult it is.

Old 01-27-2003, 12:16 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my trip to canada. You have to remove the bumper cover and disconnect the wire harness in order to get at that assy. All told it took me about 45 minutes.

Let me look around when i get home to see if I took any pics that might be useful to you.

Dave

Old 01-28-2003, 09:27 AM
REITT
Neutral
>>I had the same problem. Drivers side also. I ordered the part. about 25 bucks. It is one unit. no replacing the lense. I have not done it yet as it is cold and snowy in Iowa. It does appear that the front bumper trim will have to come off. I would have done it right away to prevent damage but since it is all one unit no further damage will result. As soon as it warms up I will replace it. If you can be patient I will let you know how difficult it is.

Thanks for your input!

Old 01-28-2003, 09:29 AM
REITT
Neutral
>>I had the same thing happen on my trip to canada. You have to remove the bumper cover and disconnect the wire harness in order to get at that assy. All told it took me about 45 minutes.
>>
>>Let me look around when i get home to see if I took any pics that might be useful to you.
>>
>>Dave

Thanks for the input Dave. I'll look for your pictures. I'm a "handy guy" and if it's only 45 minutes, I can tackle that myself.

Old 01-28-2003, 08:40 PM
bbmykal
4th Gear
WOAH! I can't believe that happend to all of you. Now I am SO glad I got the prottective 3M lens covers. I got them from Moss primarily for the headlights, all that glass worried me a bit. It also came with covers for the front lenses as well.

Old 01-29-2003, 04:56 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
>>WOAH! I can't believe that happend to all of you. Now I am SO glad I got the prottective 3M lens covers. I got them from Moss primarily for the headlights, all that glass worried me a bit. It also came with covers for the front lenses as well.
>>

Don' t think that would have saved mine I heard it hit and it was real loud