Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

weird clunking noise..

Old 07-29-2005, 10:10 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird clunking noise..

My '05 started to make this weird clanking noise whenever I go over a bump from the rear driver's side.. Recently installed a rear sway bar and not sure if it is related.. Sounds like something is banging against a metal..
But no noise when turning or stopping, starting.. Just when the car is going over bumps.. even small ones.. Sounds kinda like a '05 exhaust burble but more metallic.. I checked everything in the boot and there's nothing that could make that kind of sound.. Even checked seat belts and they are not touching any panels..
What could this be?

Old 07-29-2005, 10:28 AM
lsd05jcw
3rd Gear
try this

Hi: I had similar sounds on my 05 post install of h-sport sway bar... I found a sway bar bushing mount bolt had come out. Initially the sound was low metallic sound which escalated to a very loud metal to metal sound when the bolt came completely out...

Check all the bolts... I ended up redoing all the bolts the right way, bought new shock absorber mount bolts (as Bentley recommends) and use loctite on all sway bar bolts (new to replace lost one) and sub-frame bolts....

hope that solves your problem....

Old 07-29-2005, 10:36 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
do you still remember what size bolts you used?

I'll go check the mount bracket bolts when it stops raining..

*I just checked the mounting bracket bolts and they are still all there.. Not sure how tight they are though..

Old 07-29-2005, 11:34 AM
lsd05jcw
3rd Gear
I used the stock size bolts.. I think it is tightened using a 13 mm wrench... pull off the wheels and see if a bolt(s) is loose. I suggest to recheck all bolts.. and rule out your sway bar install as the offender.. The noise could be unrelated, I think MINIs tend to have more squeeks and groans as opposed to metal to metal noises so the sway bar may be the offender... On a different note, my 05 also had a creak in the rear I was sure related to the sway bar, and it ended being the hatch, which I solved by putting a piece of duct tape on the rear hatch latch... Love my mini, but resolving all these rattles is a challenge....

Old 07-29-2005, 11:53 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
Thanks for the help.
I guess what i need to do is check all the bolts that had to come off from the swaybar install..

Old 05-22-2006, 09:48 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just ran into this problem myself.

One of the mounting brackets for my new h-sport rear sway (and the associated bushing) had come completely off of the car (fell off during driving). There was an awful clunk at every bump in the road.

The passenger side bolts that hold the bracket and bushing were also loose... I could remove them with my fingers.

They are sending me a replacement bracket and bushing and recommend a bit of loc-tite on the bolts, just to be sure this time.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:51 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had some body work done, after which I noticed a noise similar to what you describe, but maybe not as "metallic" (not as though two wrenches are banging together-- more of a "clunk"). Took it back and found that a fastener that helps to secure the rear bumper cover to the car -- in the very center of the rr bumper, and only visible from under the car -- had broken somehow, and the body shop was able to fix it very quickly (no charge).