Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MCSa ecu V42 update

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Noisegirly
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An update on my car.

I just got back from picking up my Mini. The printout says "found fault P1689 Electronic Throttle Monitoring". It drove great coming back the 20 miles up the freeway. Let's hope it stays that way.
They still can't fix the speaker buzzing, though. Guess I'm going to have to dynmat myself..which I'm terrified of doing.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:43 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hope your car stays that way.

Once you experience limp mode.... just kinda uneasy for a while.
I've been there (not from the v42).

Old 08-12-2005, 08:36 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
so far so good?

hi everyone -

so have all of you who've updated been running ok? i would suspect no news is good news, but i'd like to check in and see how everyone's doing. i myself have opted to not have the software updated in my car as i have had not one single computer problem at all (knocking wood).

cheers - drew

Old 08-13-2005, 09:07 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
SES light. after I cleared it, no issues so far. drove it several times
after cleared.

there's a flat spot around 3k and that makes it a tad slow under
normal acceleration. then the torque suddenly kicks in around 4k+...
reminds me of VTEC.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:59 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I need to get my car in to fix the v42 for the second time. My car has had SES lights 4 times since the update. I just deal with it . I'm pathedic I know

Old 08-13-2005, 08:07 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I need to get my car in to fix the v42 for the second time. My car has had SES lights 4 times since the update. I just deal with it . I'm pathedic I know
What was the code you pulled when you cleared the SES?

Old 08-13-2005, 10:07 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by newyorkcitymini
...i myself have opted to not have the software updated in my car as i have had not one single computer problem at all (knocking wood).
Me too (not having had any computer problem - for that matter, haven't had any problems yet). And definitely knocking on wood. Although, I have been trying to cause the car to go into limp mode to trigger the problem. Maybe it is the BRG color - I have a BRG/White MCSa.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:13 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kenchan
What was the code you pulled when you cleared the SES?
I don't have a tool to check the code. I just turn the car off and on. Then the light clears itself after a few cycles. But the last time I took the car in my SA said it kept a code. He didn't say which though.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
There are cheap scan tools

I don't have a tool to check the code. I just turn the car off and on. Then the light clears itself after a few cycles. But the last time I took the car in my SA said it kept a code. He didn't say which though.
The base OBD-II is about $40 at Kragans, you can clear and read your own codes. In this day and age, it's a must have tool for computer controlled cars. Especially with mods. Also, you can see if your repair shop is BSing you. One an Acura service tech said my light indicated I needed X, Y and Z, and when I asked him how did that cause the SES light to be tripped for some EGR stuff, he looked shocked. They didn't get the job, I did it myself for about $14.

But sometimes, the code is the symptom, not the cause, so they don't point to Change this part.... Here's an example: My latest code is a lean mixture when the car is cold, and in first or second gear, low RPM, and engine breaking down some hills in my neighborhood! Now, what part changes that? (I think it's a freebe with the MTH software I'm running, but only this map has ever had it happen).

Matt

Old 08-14-2005, 03:17 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
The EML will go off after 5 re-starts but the SES does not. It is
unrelated.

I agree with buying a scanner, it's cheap and a must-have tool for our
cars.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
So wazzup? Does anyone have a confirmed fix? In another thread, there is apparently a new code release - v. 42.1. If true (about v. 42.1), it would seem that v. 42 just wasn't up to the challenge.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:21 AM
reefkid
1st Gear
Originally Posted by caminifan
So wazzup? Does anyone have a confirmed fix? In another thread, there is apparently a new code release - v. 42.1. If true (about v. 42.1), it would seem that v. 42 just wasn't up to the challenge.
If you read from the second page of this thread, you'll see that v. 42.2 came out about three weeks ago. I have not had any new problems since being upgraded...except for that damn Mini logo on the steering wheel peeling off, again.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:57 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by reefkid
If you read from the second page of this thread, you'll see that v. 42.2 came out about three weeks ago. I have not had any new problems since being upgraded...except for that damn Mini logo on the steering wheel peeling off, again.
Sorry about the mix-up on versions. The relevent point of my post was to get a sense of whether the latest version (42.2?) is solving the SES/EML problem. So far, I have not experienced the problem. But if I do, I would like to know how successful of a fix BMW/MINI have developed.

Old 08-20-2005, 06:33 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Noisegirly
I just got back from picking up my Mini. The printout says "found fault P1689 Electronic Throttle Monitoring". It drove great coming back the 20 miles up the freeway. Let's hope it stays that way.
They still can't fix the speaker buzzing, though. Guess I'm going to have to dynmat myself..which I'm terrified of doing.
They just had to reprogram your DME to the newest version to fix your problem....As for your speaker noise, Dynomat isnt gonna stop that....Dynomat is meant to deaden noise vibrations attributed to loud aftermarket stereos. If your having a "buzzing" noise id say it was the speaker itself or a bad ground. Sorry though that they cant fix the problem which doesnt sound that hard to do.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:52 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
i've asked this before but maybe U will know, i have been told that after s0 many dowloads of ecu updates ur' ecu needs to be replaced is this true?

Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
They just had to reprogram your DME to the newest version to fix your problem....As for your speaker noise, Dynomat isnt gonna stop that....Dynomat is meant to deaden noise vibrations attributed to loud aftermarket stereos. If your having a "buzzing" noise id say it was the speaker itself or a bad ground. Sorry though that they cant fix the problem which doesnt sound that hard to do.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:32 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
joker- I remember reading that too, somewhere. Like the ECU only allows 10 flashes?

Old 08-21-2005, 01:07 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
you have 15 times you can reprogram the DME....after that....YOUR payin 1200 for a new one.( thats only if your reflashing it the way i am with factory settings, and its not warrenty work). say you have 15 recalls that needs to program the ecu again n again , then they will replace it ..Trust me....you will never run out of programming times in the life of you owning the car. im yet to even see a DME need replacing for that fact alone.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:48 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
do U remember where you saw this i've had my ride reflashed from v35 to v41 but i know it has been done a couple more times, cuz supposedly it did not take a few times???
Originally Posted by kenchan
joker- I remember reading that too, somewhere. Like the ECU only allows 10 flashes?

Old 08-21-2005, 07:50 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
kool!! i was kinda worried for a minute Uknow, thx...
you have 15 times you can reprogram the DME....after that....YOUR payin 1200 for a new one.( thats only if your reflashing it the way i am with factory settings, and its not warrenty work). say you have 15 recalls that needs to program the ecu again n again , then they will replace it ..Trust me....you will never run out of programming times in the life of you owning the car. im yet to even see a DME need replacing for that fact alone.

Old 08-22-2005, 04:00 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
At one point, MTH could reset the counter on DME flashes. However, I don't know if this is still possible.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:09 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
that would be great...if you flash ALOT

Old 08-22-2005, 07:20 AM
haulinS
3rd Gear
from what I've read here on NAM, the MTH program bypasses the counter. So the only reflashes you have to worry about are the ones from the dealer. Don't know if this is still true.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=37383

Originally Posted by caminifan
At one point, MTH could reset the counter on DME flashes. However, I don't know if this is still possible.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:46 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
What does MTH stand for.

Old 09-18-2005, 01:22 PM
horologist
Neutral
Just for the record

Very sorry to hear of the probs that my fellow (AND Lady) Mini owners have had. Our Mini has less than 3K and so far no probs. with the ecu. The ask Mini phone # told me they saw no recall for my VIN and our build date is between 7-9-05 & 8-9-05. We do live in Hou Tx. area and have had record high temps and lots of humidity so I don't know if those factors are contributing to the probs had by some previous posts. Will
keep reading and hope they get this prob sorted out soon for all Mini Lovers!

Multum in Parvo

Chili Red Blk top MCSa Chrono Pac, chrome int., frnt & rear fogs, multi function str whl.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:46 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
good for you.

Originally Posted by horologist
Very sorry to hear of the probs that my fellow (AND Lady) Mini owners have had. Our Mini has less than 3K and so far no probs. with the ecu. The ask Mini phone # told me they saw no recall for my VIN and our build date is between 7-9-05 & 8-9-05. We do live in Hou Tx. area and have had record high temps and lots of humidity so I don't know if those factors are contributing to the probs had by some previous posts. Will
keep reading and hope they get this prob sorted out soon for all Mini Lovers!

Multum in Parvo

Chili Red Blk top MCSa Chrono Pac, chrome int., frnt & rear fogs, multi function str whl.

Quick Reply: MCSa ecu V42 update