Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MCSa ecu V42 update

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 05:54 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my car and well being with out is near impossible. So I'm dealing with it for now. The problem is sort of rare. It has done this odd computer problem 3 times in a month..so like 3 times in 100 outings. Seems like alot and then again not alot. I don't know. I don't have time to be without my car right now

Old 08-01-2005, 06:00 PM
kraigster414
2nd Gear
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

Personally, I think a written recall is warranted. You just don't know when the problem is going to kick in and not every owner frequents these boards. If their car is working fine now, they may be totally clueless until they are cruising at 65 MPH and the engine dies. That's a recipe for disaster. If you are not aware of this (and thinking everything is great with your car), it could be weeks, months before you bring in your MCSa for routine service, and only then, will the new software be installed. In the meantime, you are taking a serious risk. Irresponsible on the part of MINI IMHO.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:16 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kraigster414
...they may be totally clueless until they are cruising at 65 MPH and the engine dies.
I just had an idea - maybe it is related to driving the car at 65.... Wasn't there a song out about not being able to drive 65???? (Just kidding about the driving the car at 65; BMW/MINI need to get their act together and come up with a real fix to the problem.)

Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by morknmini
So it's not just the MCSa option. There must be a lot more than 3800 cars affected. Then it's potentially a huge problem. Dang!
ummm...

The stumble was the infamous
problem the MCS's had in the old days. I just didn't feel like getting the
ECU reflashed until after v41 was long gone as I read too many problems
with v41. i was also planning to put off the emissions recall until my next
oil change, but that won't happen for another 10k miles so I just decided
to make an appointment this week.

Im hoping that v42 will work fine on my 6MT and rid the stumble
(stumble was completely eliminated on v39, I think).

Old 08-02-2005, 03:47 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
The thing is the problem doesn't show up @ 65mph . Only when going 2-10mph. It has happened to me twice on one bend on my way home and another time just as I stopped to leave my neighborhood. Thats why its not a serious issue. No matter how stupid that sounds

Old 08-02-2005, 03:52 AM
kraigster414
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
The thing is the problem doesn't show up @ 65mph . Only when going 2-10mph. It has happened to me twice on one bend on my way home and another time just as I stopped to leave my neighborhood. Thats why its not a serious issue. No matter how stupid that sounds
With me, it happened at low speed as well. I have heard of at least two instances where it has happened in excess of 60 MPH. Even at 2-10 MPH, it could be very dangerous in heavy traffic.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:01 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Anyone Without Problems?

am i the only person who hasn't had the ses light come on or any of its associated software fixes? i am running my car with the stock software (nearly 5k miles/feb build) and have never had any problems whatsoever. i asked my service advisor and he told me not to fix something that hasn't broken (i tend to agree with that) but if v4.2 is stable i am thinking it might be a good idea to have it done anyway.

anyone want to chime in here?

thanks - drew

Old 08-02-2005, 09:28 AM
eVal
6th Gear
It's not nec about speed - think of losing power on a steep hill in San Francisco

It is significantly irresponsible of BMW/Mini to leave this issue as is and not address it directly with a recall and/or notice to customers. I've had recalls on other recent BMWs for things that not only were minor in comparison but were mostly not even occuring in people's cars (preventative fixes).

I fear their lack of action is caused by concern about bad press and the potential effect on sales.

By the way, I have yet to be contacted by the dealer I brought the car to twice with the SES issues with any sort of info on new software or whatnot. I don't intend to upload anything, though, until it is shown to me that the 'fix' is really a good fix anyway, but it goes to show you that it cannot be left up to the dealers to address. The only good thing about it not being a recall is that if it were you'd have to install the still buggy upgrades; since it is not a real recall it is not mandatory.

PS: NYCMini, if I were you I would not upload anything. Like you said, if it ain't broke... I have a Jan build and was initially told the SES was brought on by driving on hills after the car was just started (which in inevitable based on where I live); perhaps you have not had the issue because you don't have that situation?

Old 08-02-2005, 09:28 AM
racoman
2nd Gear
I've got a Jan build MCSCa with "0" problems too. I think I'll leave well enough alone!

Old 08-02-2005, 09:34 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
thanks for the responses all - keep 'em coming!

not planning on updating - drew

Old 08-02-2005, 09:40 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by newyorkcitymini
thanks for the responses all - keep 'em coming!

not planning on updating - drew
So far the update did me no good so it wasn't worth it.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:46 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
are you running 4.22 released on july 26? sorry you're still experiencing problems.

So far the update did me no good so it wasn't worth it.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
are you running 4.22 released on july 26? sorry you're still experiencing problems.
Not sure which 4.x I have. My SA says its 42.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:42 PM
JerryL
Neutral
I had mine flashed with version 42.2 on 7/26. My wife has had the SES & limp mode problem 3 times in the past month and now is afraid of driving the car at all. I have driven it about 200 miles since the reflash with no problems. I think I am just going to sell it. It is a third car and I don't think its worth all this BS.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:34 PM
kraigster414
2nd Gear
am i the only person who hasn't had the ses light come on or any of its associated software fixes? i am running my car with the stock software (nearly 5k miles/feb build) and have never had any problems whatsoever. i asked my service advisor and he told me not to fix something that hasn't broken (i tend to agree with that) but if v4.2 is stable i am thinking it might be a good idea to have it done anyway.

anyone want to chime in here?

thanks - drew
NY, you don't know when the problem is going to kick in. You only have 5K. You might want to wait a few weeks to see how everyone is doing with v4.2. If it appears all is well, get it installed. Don't wait.

Old 08-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
am i the only person who hasn't had the ses light come on or any of its associated software fixes?
That's what I thought too, until last Friday. The light went on when I was headed home. It stayed on, even for several other trips I made. The dealer did say it was a campaign auto recall and mentioned any MCSa that came in, regardless for what, would have the new software installed. Recently, the light has been staying off and I have not brought it to the dealer yet.

Old 08-02-2005, 03:29 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
were you driving up or down a hill? i am thinking i've not see any lights because new york is so flat.

thinking i might be go in for v4.2 when i go in for something else next week. i suspect that mini knows what its doing and i'm no car engineer!

Originally Posted by Kellzir
That's what I thought too, until last Friday. The light went on when I was headed home. It stayed on, even for several other trips I made. The dealer did say it was a campaign auto recall and mentioned any MCSa that came in, regardless for what, would have the new software installed. Recently, the light has been staying off and I have not brought it to the dealer yet.

Old 08-02-2005, 03:33 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
???

has anybody heard that after a few times of reflashing system, ecu needs a replacement??

Old 08-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
were you driving up or down a hill? i am thinking i've not see any lights because new york is so flat.
Neither, it was a flat surface.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:17 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Mine did it again today On the way home from work. I had just went over a speed bump going like 5 mph and it happened . I called my SA and told him about it. Since I will be out of town in a few days and need my car I told him when I get back he can have my car.

I know I'm crazy and should get it looked at. But well I can't. Need my car and I'm only 20 so I can't get a rental

Old 08-02-2005, 07:16 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kellzir
Hey. That's getting real close to home. Our cars were transporter mates from Classic. I keep thinking that I am not one of the few, but one of the MANY, who have not had any problems. Your post has made me believe otherwise. I've got around 760 miles on mine so it may be just a matter of a few more rides. Such a nuisance. There's a certain irony in dreading the inevitable. Like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

Old 08-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is anyone data logging?

Sure would be helpful if we know what state the car is in when it trips. Anyone logging data? Anyone download the freeze frame data from the emissions port?

I don't have the problem, just trying to suggest ways to narrow it down.

Matt

Old 08-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Cabrio has it too!

Hey Kelllzir & morknmini,

You're not alone! The cabrio (05 MCSa) has it too! The SES light came on at about 200 miles, then went off. It's come on about 4-6 times, the most recent being tonight going to the show. Was coasting through a parking lot when it came on.

I don't plan on bringing it in to the local dealer until it has more miles, and I read that the latest software fixes the problem. The car has about 760 miles right now---yes, another "garage queen"

Even the 04 MCS JCW hasn't been to the dealer yet. The first service is about 1,000 miles away. I'll have a lpong list of stuff to take care of, plus the JCW upgrade.

BTW, have either of you signed up for the Lagina Seca MINI Driving School on Dec 14th. It will fill up fast. I signed up today, along with my daughter driving the cabrio. Check out http://www.minidriving.com/laguna.htm

Charlie

Old 08-03-2005, 02:25 AM
nike61
1st Gear
Hey guys this thread is really interesting and good. I posted a thread in Mini2.com in Aussie section.

It appears [touch wood] that Aussie MCSa's 05 are not experiencing these problems. I rang the dealer today and yes he is aware of the update, they have been advised to update any vehicle put in for service. He also mentioned that this appears to be problem only for USA due to emission requirements imposed, thus the ECU problem, as to date, to his knowledge, no Aussie MCSa's have had any similar problems.
I will let you know if any develop, NOT I hope

Old 08-03-2005, 01:21 PM
rmorin49
2nd Gear
SES light

No, I don't have a MCSa, but rather a MCSc, 6 speed. My SES light has come on about 5 times. It stays on for about 3 days, approximately 6 starts, and then goes off for about a day and then comes back on. I live in MD where we have been having very hot weather. My car has 9600 miles on it and is driven primarily to and from work on the interstate at well above the posted speed limit of 65 mph. Build date was 11/04. Dealer (MINI of Towson) says problem will be fixed when I bring it in for first scheduled service. Should I expect success?

Quick Reply: MCSa ecu V42 update