Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MCSa ecu V42 update

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:28 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief_Charlie
Hey Kelllzir & morknmini,

You're not alone! The cabrio (05 MCSa) has it too! The SES light came on at about 200 miles, then went off. It's come on about 4-6 times, the most recent being tonight going to the show. Was coasting through a parking lot when it came on.

I don't plan on bringing it in to the local dealer until it has more miles, and I read that the latest software fixes the problem. The car has about 760 miles right now---yes, another "garage queen"

Even the 04 MCS JCW hasn't been to the dealer yet. The first service is about 1,000 miles away. I'll have a lpong list of stuff to take care of, plus the JCW upgrade.

BTW, have either of you signed up for the Lagina Seca MINI Driving School on Dec 14th. It will fill up fast. I signed up today, along with my daughter driving the cabrio. Check out http://www.minidriving.com/laguna.htm

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie, once again, for the good lead (Laguna Seca in December--wet and wild?). Sorry to learn your MCSCa is showing early symptoms. You have so many MINIs I would worry about the contagion throughout your MINI coop. The worst worry is to have the car poop out on the highway with everyone riding your bumper. So few miles on your MINIs must mean that you should get out more often.

Last edited by morknmini; 08-03-2005 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-2005, 01:32 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nike61
Hey guys this thread is really interesting and good. I posted a thread in Mini2.com in Aussie section.

It appears [touch wood] that Aussie MCSa's 05 are not experiencing these problems. I rang the dealer today and yes he is aware of the update, they have been advised to update any vehicle put in for service. He also mentioned that this appears to be problem only for USA due to emission requirements imposed, thus the ECU problem, as to date, to his knowledge, no Aussie MCSa's have had any similar problems.
I will let you know if any develop, NOT I hope
Excellent information. Different emissions devices could explain it. Makes me wonder which countries have similar emissions requirements. I recall Japan's is quite strict. California's used to be more stringent than the rest of the USA, but all states are the same now. Hmmm. Let's hope the virus doesn't migrate your way. It's becoming the MINI flu.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:33 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rmorin49
No, I don't have a MCSa, but rather a MCSc, 6 speed. My SES light has come on about 5 times. It stays on for about 3 days, approximately 6 starts, and then goes off for about a day and then comes back on. I live in MD where we have been having very hot weather. My car has 9600 miles on it and is driven primarily to and from work on the interstate at well above the posted speed limit of 65 mph. Build date was 11/04. Dealer (MINI of Towson) says problem will be fixed when I bring it in for first scheduled service. Should I expect success?

Keep us posted after your treatment at Towson. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I know I'm crazy and should get it looked at. But well I can't. Need my car and I'm only 20 so I can't get a rental
wouldnt matter. if your going out of town, i believe that violates most loaner contracts. i think you have to stay within 50 miles of the dealer you were loaned from.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:56 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're not alone! The cabrio (05 MCSa) has it too! The SES light came on at about 200 miles, then went off. It's come on about 4-6 times, the most recent being tonight going to the show. Was coasting through a parking lot when it came on.
Charlie, bummer about the SES light. No problems with my BRG - maybe it is the color...LOL; I am keeping my fingers crossed. Is there any kind of pattern regarding when the SES light occurs? I was out in the 104+ degree heat wave two weeks ago trying to trigger the SES event to no avail....

BTW, have either of you signed up for the Lagina Seca MINI Driving School on Dec 14th. It will fill up fast. I signed up today, along with my daughter driving the cabrio. Check out http://www.minidriving.com/laguna.htm
Trying to plan that far out for me is challenging at best. Wish there was a driving school in the area sooner.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:31 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my appointment for v42 reflash for 03MT coming up in 1.5hrs. hope things turn out... gonna ask for a test drive on the mcs-a if one's available while I wait.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:20 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kenchan
my appointment for v42 reflash for 03MT coming up in 1.5hrs. hope things turn out... gonna ask for a test drive on the mcs-a if one's available while I wait.
Yah see how quick our 6600rpm redline comes up Don't hurt the carpet looking to smash the clutch.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:11 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
I got my MCS back and took it out for a drive. I also did the emissions
recall, hatch door fix, etc.

The stumble is definitely gone which is a great improvement and other then that, the car feels pretty much the same as before. I pulled it to redline
many times after the car was warmed up... it pulled hard as it did before.

I didn't really notice the lower redline, to tell you the truth...is it suppose
to be lower?

overall, nice upgrade. (so far).

Old 08-05-2005, 10:29 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Glad to hear all is well with your car.

The redline on a MCSa is lower then a MCS as I understand it.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:38 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
why is it lower does anybody know???

???

Old 08-06-2005, 02:14 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
I induced my SES light to come on!
Car was idling normally at a light. I tapped the gas lightly a
couple of times as if I was reving gently to engage 1st gear...
pop! well hello Mr.SES light...

Yesterday temp was about 75F and not too humid, no issues.
Today temps is about 87F and not too humid, no cold start
stumble, no warm stumble, idling fine, drives great. I did not
refuel between yesterday and today so it is not gas related.
Only difference is temp that I can figure.

I stopped by the dealer since I was in the area just to document
that I was there a day after the reflash. Talked to the guy
if the SES light would go off if the exhaust conditions were
favorable for it to go off. He said 'yes,' so I just started driving
again. Will see if it goes off...

Note to self: don't tap the gas at idle. wat kind of
a piece of crap ECU is this?!

Now, I did notice today that around 3000rpm there is a little
dip in torque...not sure what that is yet.

will see how it goes...

edit:
I ended up getting a OBDII scanner today, pulled the code
P0130 (front 02 sensor malfunction) and cleared it. There were
two of them stored.

After clearing the code, i took a nice 1.5hr spirited drive and no
SES light. so my car is good to go.

Last edited by kenchan; 08-09-2005 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Update 8/9/05
Old 08-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Noisegirly
1st Gear
Angry.

My car went in last week for the SES light and speaker buzz (again) problems, and when in service the techs performed a recall. I get the car back and drive it all week without worry, but I start it today and go down the street and then. . . . . LIMP MODE. This is unacceptable! I now feel completely unsafe and will not drive the vehicle on the freeeway down to my dealership (as far as I am concerned, they can tow it back). In fact, I don't think I will be able to feel completely safe in the car again. Who knows what the next "fix" will bring. I am very very upset.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:38 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
so sorry to hear aobut your problem with the update noisegirly... what a drag! i have yet to do the update and i am sorrry to say you are one more reason while i still may not! i am sure they will work it out though - hang in there!

- drew

Old 08-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Noisegirly
1st Gear
I just fired off a major complaint to Mini USA, so we'll see what happens (probably nothing, I have no faith ). Not only have my speakers been in for buzzing problems twice now (and will be on their third this time), but I have had many inconveniences since I picked up the car. It is unacceptable to have this sort of problem on a car with an otherwise excellent reputation. Limp mode is dangerous. Had I been on the freeway when it kicked in, I probably would have been in an accident. I'm terrified to drive it now.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:25 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
limp mode. i experienced it a couple of times while running the
UNICHIP. I thought my whole exhaust fell off at first.
sounded like this:

KABOOBOOBOOBODOODOODOBOOOHHHHH!!!

I went into limp mode just as I was entering the expresway .
biggest problem was that I couldn't restart the car while it was
coasting forward even though i had the car in N and clutched-in.
had no choice but to get off the road to stop.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:18 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
whoa! thats pretty loud

Old 08-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
noisegirly, which ecu software did they install on your car? and when did they update it?

Old 08-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Noisegirly
1st Gear
?

I have no idea what software version is on the car. I have a Feb '05 built Mini, if that helps. It says nothing on the service printout, just that they performed the recall. I believe they had the car on 8/1 or 8/2. I have had some heated words with the BMW service advisor at my dealership this morning, having been passed off by another advisor. They wanted me to drive it down (20 miles on a busy freeway) and I said absolutely not, unless they wanted to run the risk of being sued if I were to get in an accident caused by the faulty car. So I now have to get hold of Roadside Assistance and I was told I would get a "replacement vehicle" while they work on mine. At least they offered that much, because I was told previously that Mini owners generally don't get loaners or rental approval from this delaership...just the BMW owners.

I'm just so ticked off because the car drove beautifully before this.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:18 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
where are U' located? i have never heard of loaner cars not beign covered under mini warranty...
Originally Posted by Noisegirly
I have no idea what software version is on the car. I have a Feb '05 built Mini, if that helps. It says nothing on the service printout, just that they performed the recall. I believe they had the car on 8/1 or 8/2. I have had some heated words with the BMW service advisor at my dealership this morning, having been passed off by another advisor. They wanted me to drive it down (20 miles on a busy freeway) and I said absolutely not, unless they wanted to run the risk of being sued if I were to get in an accident caused by the faulty car. So I now have to get hold of Roadside Assistance and I was told I would get a "replacement vehicle" while they work on mine. At least they offered that much, because I was told previously that Mini owners generally don't get loaners or rental approval from this delaership...just the BMW owners.

I'm just so ticked off because the car drove beautifully before this.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by joker
where are U' located? i have never heard of loaner cars not beign covered under mini warranty...

MiniSF does not provide loaners - frankly I'm not sure that anyone here in the Bay Area does

Perhaps under unsual circumstances they would. Its silly cause they do for bimmers

Old 08-08-2005, 05:37 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
wow...it's not so here. they provide rental or loaners here for even minor work......guess i've been lucky then cuz i've used that service more than alot! if that makes sense.
Originally Posted by eVal
MiniSF does not provide loaners - frankly I'm not sure that anyone here in the Bay Area does

Perhaps under unsual circumstances they would. Its silly cause they do for bimmers

Old 08-09-2005, 12:39 PM
retroom
4th Gear
In the Bay Area, Mini of Mtn. View supplies loaners...either rentals or BMWs.

retroom

Originally Posted by eVal

Old 08-09-2005, 01:09 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
yea thats what i thought i have a couple of friends in the bay area and they have not said anythin' about not gettin' loaners or rentals.......
Originally Posted by retroom
In the Bay Area, Mini of Mtn. View supplies loaners...either rentals or BMWs.

retroom

Old 08-10-2005, 01:51 PM
drew624
1st Gear
Just got reflashed...@ Long Beach Mini

I hope that cures the problem...

Old 08-10-2005, 02:07 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drew624
I hope that cures the problem...
You'll probably get a P0130 within a few days.

Quick Reply: MCSa ecu V42 update