Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Any suggestions...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any suggestions...?

I had a service engine soon light,so I brought it up to my dealer on Saturday.
Tony,one of the MINI techs scanned it and showed me that the code was for a lean condition. He said that with all the things I have on the car to move the air in and out, the computer/injectors? can't give it enough fuel. Can software fix this? or do I need bigger injectors?

Old 07-15-2005, 03:29 PM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no u need to blow up your car and start over from scratch

Old 07-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way man,WAY too much cake in this car to start over.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:17 AM
NTHUSIAST
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixable

All of the mods you have done have been to increase the airflow into and out of the car (intake, pulley, exhaust etc). You have succeeded in increasing your airflow. As we all know more air equals more power, since a car is really not much more than a complex air compressor.

In order for the car to run properly (and to maximize your power returns from existing mods) the fuel delivery needs to match your air flow. The ECU will do its best to try and adapt the fuel injection to match, but it can only go so far.

You should consider some larger injectors (JCW ones are very nice, but a little pricey), as well as an ECU upgrade. You can look at many options for your ECU upgrade, and they will vary in cost and performance. Powerchip is a very nice set up, and the cost reflects it. You can also choose to go the less expensive route and do the MTH route. It is significantly cheaper, but results vary greatly (depending on who you listen to/believe). Just do your research and go with the mod you feel most comfortable with.

You could also consider going one step further, and look at dropping in a larger throttle body.

If I were in your situation I would look at larger injectors (probably JCW) and the MTH ECU upgrade. But that's just my opinion, and I am sure many (if not most) would disagree. That's one of the benefits we MINI owners have. Many products and vendors to choose from.

Happy Modding!

NTHUSIAST