Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

05 MCS Dash Rattle That's Really Loud

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:48 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw

Anyone have this info saved somewhere? Apparently the links don't work now (or I just can't figure out where to click on those pages).

Old 08-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Pendergast
6th Gear
I don't know about the links, I simply took my MINI to the dealer and told them to fix the dash rattle per the pertinent service bulletin. What what its worth, they pulled the dash, and added little felt gromits in many areas. 2 weeks after I got it back the dash pieces started popping out. I got them back in place and they have stayed in place so far. Still get a few noises however, not as bad though.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Marty R.
1st Gear
I did not read all the post however I had the same problem and the dealer fixed it with a service bulletion, the SA knew just what I was talking about when I brought it in!

2003 25K miles

Old 08-10-2007, 04:39 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
$5 fix for dash rattle

For my 2003 ,the rattle was coming from the gap between the windshield and the plastic shelf/dash. If you push down slightly on the area just behind the windshield, your rattle should go away. I used a piece of black motorcycle fuel line, the shiny type all the way across the windshield. Just stuff it in the gap so it stays there and is straight it has be tight so it won't fall through the gap but not too tight. No rattles!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 AM
mrs.mini
2nd Gear
I am so glad to find this thread...I thought my Stella ('05 MCS) was mad at me. So the popping noise that comes from the top of my dash around the air vents can be fixed at the dealership? It just started today - I have had other little rattles that I was able to fix...but this one is really bad and is driving me crazy. I hit her - that is why I thought she might be mad - up on the rattle area, but that didn't work. My only problem is the dealership is hours away. Is there anything I can do to mask the problem (without removing the dash) til I can get back in? And my 1st check up was last weekend - of course she wasn't rattling then. I tried shoving paper into little areas, but that didn't work. Anything to help with my sanity would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:47 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
To see if your rattle was like mine, push down on the plastic right behind the windshield, it is almost touching it. If the rattle goes away, it is like mine . I used a black vinyl motorcycle fuel line about the length of the area front of the plastic. I worked it down in the crack between the ws and the plastic . Be careful you can push it all of the way through. It stopped the rattle ,good

Old 08-23-2007, 02:33 PM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
To see if your rattle was like mine, push down on the plastic right behind the windshield, it is almost touching it. If the rattle goes away, it is like mine . I used a black vinyl motorcycle fuel line about the length of the area front of the plastic. I worked it down in the crack between the ws and the plastic . Be careful you can push it all of the way through. It stopped the rattle ,good
Where can you buy the fuel line? Motorcycle shop? Advance Auto? Also, does it come in different diameters and if so which size did you use? I took mine to the dealer for the TSB, but there's still rattles, so hopefully this will help reduce them.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 101101
Where can you buy the fuel line? Motorcycle shop? Advance Auto? Also, does it come in different diameters and if so which size did you use? I took mine to the dealer for the TSB, but there's still rattles, so hopefully this will help reduce them.
I'll get you some more info tomorrow, I think its Helix brand and I got it from Dennis Kirk. And your gap might be different than mine. But the rattle should be suppressed by pushing down on the leading edge of the plastic closest to the windshield. If not, you got a different rattle.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:41 AM
mrs.mini
2nd Gear
I have that gap between the windshield and dash and i think that might be where the rattle is coming from. I pushed around some last night and it almost stopped. So, i am interested in the info on the fuel line too.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Heres a link to a mc supply place .http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...3ADECA8A7A159D
Heres photo of the hose ,its 5/16" by 7/16" , I have solid black and they say translucent Or you could go blingy and get colors

Old 10-31-2007, 12:26 PM
jakay11
4th Gear
just another data point... Aug. 05 build-date, I have the rattle on the shelf and dash as well...
Lucky me, I have an apt. for Service II in 2 weeks, so I'll just tack that on as well...
The rattle is only noticable on very rough roads, but can be drowned out with the stereo (for now).
THANK YOU so much for the SIM number on this!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the dealer fix multiple dash rattles on a Jan 05 build. So far, so good

Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
When I made the apt, the dealer (Morristown Mini) already new the service bul. number...

I just got back George toady, and the dealer added the kit to elim. the dash rattle... they also put in some felt for the occasional rattle between the two uprights, under the tray, under the dash.
so far, so good...

Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Ren920
1st Gear
Hi Everyone,
Newbie here with with a new (to me) 2003 MCS. As it's gotten colder, you guessed it, our dash is making noise. It's enough to drive one batty. I have a siily question...when you get repairs done per a service bulletin, is it at your own expense?

Thanks,
Love my MINI otherwise!!
Ren920

Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 AM
coopselt
3rd Gear
Servicing

If your car is still under warranty, they should cover. They are getting ready to fix my dash rattle and my sunroof clicking on my 2005 MCS. They say taking the dash appart to fix this is an all day event...

If not under warranty, I'd have to say the labor cost alone would be ALOT.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:13 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
all day event? when I had this done a year and half ago it took my dealer 4 days. And it was fixed well, but here lately it's returned, albeit occasionally and not to the level it was before.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:37 PM
dubsdj
1st Gear
answer to the problem at a fraction of the price:

rubber feet (Typically found on computer base units) You can buy them too off the Internet

stick 3 of them together and ram them in the gap between the dash and the windshield. Put 3 of them together to the left of that circular shaped plastic thingy in the center of the dash up against the windshield.

Now put another 3 of them together and ram them just to the right of that circular thingy.

You can even put more right along the the whole dash.. The best thing is if you buy the black ones, they almost look like they were shipped with the car!!

Trust me, it worked and I was nearly at the point of ripping the dash out with my bear hands.. But then the solution presented itself when I put in a purchase for about 100 pc's and discovered these rubber feet.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Usagee
1st Gear
I had the same annoying rattle on my 03 MCS and literally fell into a solution.

I was traveling from Alaska to the lower 48 through Canada's Yukon. I was towing my mini on a UHaul auto transport when I slid off the road into a small ravine. The snow was a blessing and a curse as it was responsible for my loss of control but at the the same time cushioning my vehicles from any damage when I slide off the road.

When I got my mini home there was no more annoying dashboard rattle. Although unorthodox, a solution none the less.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Vitovillabilbao
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY Rattles reduction

This is an old thread I know, I read it completely hoping at some point for a DIY solution link. Maybe 'cos it's an old one everyone tried to solve it with dealership, but now 10 years later, we're beyond that and anyone who has one R53 it's for romanticism for this almost "new classic" (I also have the real old 59' Classic completely rebuilded)
So if another romantic chap like me is trying to spend some hours trying to stop rattles and squeaks of the cabin for the old fun of use tools on weekends, here is the link to do it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/151803-i-stopped-all-dash-rattles-and-squeaks.html

Old 04-05-2015, 08:20 AM
gmonde
1st Gear
I just purchased an 04 copper s with 91000 miles, I live up in the north east ,, the frost heaves and pot holes are rattling the dash out of the car ,, so I have found a few solutions on tightening up the dash, with out disassembling the entire dash, the front of the dash had a huge rattle just in front of the plastic plug in the center , I removed the plug and was able to use a 8/32 threaded rod with a nut and washer about 15 inches long ,feed it thru the top behind the wire harness that is wire tied to the fire wall ,I covered the threaded rod in a expandable wireloom and pushed it down to the heater box on the drivers side ,drill a hole thru the 1" blower outlet that has a plug in it on the drivers side ,feed the rod thru it and tighten the nut to pull tension on the top of the dash ,its like driving a new car ,, also removed all of the easy trim pieces and added some felt tape to help anti rattle -gmonde

Old 08-06-2017, 11:39 PM
NomadMac
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I stopped my plastic-dash-panel-by-the-windshield squeak by inserting some 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD latex hose I found at my local Ace Hardware. It's $2.99 a foot but it works. Part#4101606

Don't push it in with a screwdriver as you'll just end up puncturing the hose. A five foot length will give you enough to work with and have about six inches extra on each side. I'm leaving the excess until I know I'm not going to need to remove the fuel line again.

I tried some clear-vinyl fuel line of a smaller diameter previously. It did the trick for about 2 weeks and then the rattle was back. The latex hose is thicker and has much more cushion to it than the vinyl line.