Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

05 MCS Dash Rattle That's Really Loud

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 02:24 PM
winechic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine makes a ton of noise. I figured it was especially bad due to the poorly maintaned roads in this area; Ah California; but it seem to be common. I will be happy to learn if the dealer is able to remedy this annoyance as my 10K check-up should be due in the next few months. Keep us all posted.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:56 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by e12pilot
Have the same problem here on my 08/05 build. REALLY pronounced and annoying in the colder weather here in Chicago, however my dash seems to rattle more towards the forward section of the dash(towards the windshield). Plastic + Super stiff suspension = Rattles (thats my theory anyway).Peter
Jeez, mine's an 08/09 build. I bet more folks'll start reporting this what with this the first winter of the new dash design in production. Folks like winechic :smile:

Oh and I'd insert "cheap" in front of "Plastic" in your spot-on theory JB

Old 02-10-2005, 08:22 AM
rsbell
4th Gear
Well being said that I have the same problem with my '05 Cabrio....

The dealer fixed the problem yesterday, not sure if this can help you Jimbo but worth a shot!

Originally the dealer sid they ordered a part, but didn't specify which part, once I took it in yesterday they replaced the whole dash! This is what the Repair Invoice says:

Client states the dash rattles.
Verified compaint found cause of rattle was cause by dash.
PFM trouble shooting RO# 95395
Replace complete dash.

Parts: 1 FP Number: 51-45-7-124-286 Trim Panel

Best of luck getting your bubble wrap out of your dash!

Old 02-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by camelpilot
Wow!! Look at everyone with rattle problems!!

I have an 04', and the only time I had rattle problems was once, it sounded like little pieces of sand hitting my windshield, but it was definitely rattle. Went away as soon as I pressed the dash, and never been back since, lol.
That's EXACTLY the sound I get. I kept looking for the #$&(%@ truck in front of me throwing up the sand! I get it regularly in the driver's door, and only infrequently in the dash.
The last time it happened I grabbed the 'vertical pillars', and that made the sound stop. The pillars are set in formed styrofoam pieces, which may be the culprits. I know the last time I carried a wine bottle carrier (styrofoam) I damn near went insane listening to the top and bottom pieces rub together!
At least I know I'm in good company...

Old 02-10-2005, 05:35 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rsbell
Well being said that I have the same problem with my '05 Cabrio....The dealer fixed the problem yesterday, not sure if this can help you Jimbo but worth a shot! Originally the dealer sid they ordered a part, but didn't specify which part, once I took it in yesterday they replaced the whole dash! This is what the Repair Invoice says:

Client states the dash rattles.
Verified compaint found cause of rattle was cause by dash.
PFM trouble shooting RO# 95395
Replace complete dash.

Parts: 1 FP Number: 51-45-7-124-286 Trim Panel

Best of luck getting your bubble wrap out of your dash!
Thanks for the info. What dealer serviced the car? Jimbo

Old 02-11-2005, 09:24 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Re: 05 MCS Dash Rattle That's Really Loud

I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry your service experience was not what you expected. We are here to work with you and your Dealer. If you need our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI or email us at MINI.Assistance@askMINIUSA.COM and mention Reference # 200504200272 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 02-12-2005, 06:43 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Need More Info For M-USA

hey rsbell if you're going to post what your service department said and did, including the part # PLEASE ALSO POST WHICH DEALER DID THE WORK FCOL. I wanted to tell Molly from M-USA (who I called re the last post) and she was curious WHICH DEALER fixed your dash. But I did not know, and she could not tell. What gives? Jimbo

Wow. Nearly 600 lurkers, and only 30 responses. If your car has the same problem, feel free to chime in, we don't bite--unless we receive INCOMPLETE INFORMATION

Old 02-12-2005, 07:37 PM
buzzy
3rd Gear
I got my Mini back on Friday which I think would be either the 3rd or 4th time they have looked at the dash.

They replaced the windshield for a stress fracture and while it was out they were able to get between the firewall and dash to insulate some of the contact points.

I drove 150 miles on the highway that night with temps from 40 down to 31 deg with no creaks. Today I took it down a cobblestone street and no creaks.

So far so good

Luke

Old 02-13-2005, 06:25 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Jimbo,

Sorry I didn't list the dealership, it was MINI of Universal City.
So far they have been GREAT!

And my apologies for taking so long to reply, I was out of town for a few days.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:23 AM
E1Designs
2nd Gear
I too have the issues somewhat on the drivers side dash...only 400 miles thus far on my 05...will take in when it gets more annoying as I just got the car.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:12 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rsbell
Jimbo, Sorry I didn't list the dealership, it was MINI of Universal City. So far they have been GREAT! And my apologies for taking so long to reply, I was out of town for a few days.
NO prob! Thanks a ton, Jimbo

Old 02-14-2005, 04:45 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by buzzy
They replaced the windshield for a stress fracture and while it was out they were able to get between the firewall and dash to insulate some of the contact points.
Luke my Service Advisor really raised an eybrow when I told him your story. Although them going in thru the windshield to fix nagging dash problems is common for 02s-04s, they've not had to do this with an 05. He did tell me two service bulletins regrding dash issues are coming out soon, one may be out already. They're keeping EFR overnight and it's supposed to snow litely here in the early AM so maybe it can be reproduced. If there's no noise, I don't want them to tear the dash apart tho. Maybe a new windshield?

Did you go thru any grief regarding the stress fracture? No BS pen tests? Jimbo

Old 02-14-2005, 08:52 PM
buzzy
3rd Gear
I didn't even know there was a stress fracture until the told me they were replacing the screen.

I'm on to bigger and better things now, like the constant vibration i'm feeling thru the steering wheel that makes my hands achy when driving.

oh joy!

Luke

Old 02-15-2005, 04:42 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by buzzy
I'm on to bigger and better things now, like the constant vibration i'm feeling thru the steering wheel that makes my hands achy when driving.oh joy!Luke
L, go get some leather-palmed bike or driving gloves, fingerless. That could help a bit. I got some Bell brand at Mal Fart for less than ten, and they're still holding up after 3 years. Nice to have leather between your hand and that beefy wheel. Sorry to hear of your latest tale of woe.... Hang in there and keep us posted, either here or M2.

Oh and my dealer (schomp, denver) found, whilst driving my car bone cold at 28F and fixed "significant" rattles where the downtubes meet the dash (with felt--I can see a tiny bit), replaced a loose mirror/heated seat switch, and replaced/reattached the cupholder . Drove car in 32F in sloppy magchloride , and all seems OK.

I have to admit, I never checked out where the downtubes meet the dash for vibrations--maybe they're on to something here.

Is your S an early build, like mine (early August)? Jimbo

Old 02-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
.....fixed "significant" rattles where the downtubes meet the dash (with felt--I can see a tiny bit),....Jimbo
Do you reckon they just jammed the felt in there or took it apart?

Old 02-15-2005, 08:05 PM
sequence
6th Gear
whatever .5 hour labor charge would have them do

Old 02-17-2005, 06:37 PM
buzzy
3rd Gear
Is your S an early build, like mine (early August)? Jimbo
July 10th

Old 02-17-2005, 06:41 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad someone responded, thanks

..and today, a near flawless day of spirited motoring, a real delight, no "popcorn" rattle to speak of (granted it was 60 degrees and sunny out)
That could be it. The temp that is. I know this winter with 60k+ miles and the fidgit temps we had, I felt like I was riding in a stagecoach with all the squeaks and such. An explosive, responsive, highly tuned and refined stagecoach.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:04 PM
lotsie
Banned
Now don't flame me on this one,but in my first winter,I had a dash rattle in extreme cold.I found were it was,by pushing and poking the dash.It would go away with a gentle push,or by holding it with my hand for a minute or so,then one day it was bugging me,would not go away with gentle pushing and poking,so I slammed it hard with the side of my fist,and I'm now well into my second winter,and no rattle

Old 02-17-2005, 07:13 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
I think I'll try that If I end up with a boxer's fractire of my hand, I'll just blame it on the MINI I didn't hear any rattles with the top down in 80 degree weather the other day But now it's 30 & the rattles are back

Lois

Old 02-17-2005, 07:30 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou
I think I'll try that If I end up with a boxer's fractire of my hand, I'll just blame it on the MINI I didn't hear any rattles with the top down in 80 degree weather the other day But now it's 30 & the rattles are back

Lois
I had my gloves onPoco does tend to have the odd rattle in the cold,at start up,all go away after driving for 15 minutes or so.Now by cold I mean below -10F.
When you drive away at -40F,the tires are "square"as in the flat area of the tire stays flat for a mile or so,then my teeth rattle,the heater fan is cranked to high,and I'm trying to hear the road report on the radio,my ear flaps are down,so I tend not to hear any dash rattles

Old 02-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
I just got back from a drive tonight, temp 16F and my rattle was back. After repositioning my rolled up chunk of electrical tape it sort of went away again but not completely. Any particular place you wacked it Lot15?

Old 02-17-2005, 08:51 PM
lotsie
Banned
Well it was a year ago,but I seem to remember the rattle coming right over the speedo.black part of the dash right in front of the vent.I did not vent on it to hard,but it was buzzing,and I gave it at good smart wack.Now don't hammer on it,one blow did it for me

Old 02-17-2005, 09:02 PM
lotsie
Banned
Hey,remember it's really cold were I live,so I hear all kinds of things rattle,my teeth,bones, even my eye lids ice up and buzz sometimes,but the odd hard push,or smart wack,does make the buzzes go away.
When the temps. go above about -5F,Poco is rattle and buzz free

Old 02-17-2005, 09:32 PM
sequence
6th Gear
I think Coopers rattle less than the S.

Quick Reply: 05 MCS Dash Rattle That's Really Loud