Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Leak help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 07:44 AM
wstcstctygrl@gmail.com
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak help?

Hoping someone out there can help with an issue on my 2012 Mini! I don’t live near a dealer any longer and the last mechanic I used charged me $450 and didn’t fix the problem. I have a leak, it was noticed after the car was sitting for 24 hours. On investigation I found a clear slightly oily substance was was coming from around / under the old temperature sensor elbow (my sensor was relocated with the 2012 recall but the hose was left With original design). The sensor itself seemed a little corroded as well. Before I start calling mechanics to find one who can do the work I’d like to know:
1) what hoses are these (better yet specific part)? Water hose? Coolant hose?
2) have they come out with and or can I just replace it with a single hose? That elbow seems a weak link inviting two spots for leaks, so if a single hose could replace it since the sensor is no longer there that would be ideal?
3) any ranges on cost you can estimate? I live in the Bay Area so I know we pay a premium but knowing a ballpark will help me as I try to find a place to do the work.

Thank you in advance!

pics of the leaking spot and the residue where it’s leaked

Leaking from underneath this area, backside of joint had a layer of fluid so not sure which hose is leaking

Temp sensor seems a bit corpses making me think this may also be leaking through the sensor

Upside down photo of the residue from when I was trying to trace the leak.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:49 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
as you mentioned, it could be the coolant leaking. I have the same thing on my 2012 convertible. for this small run, I replaced the hose/elbow with one that runs from the thermostat to the radiator junction point.

depending on location, here is the diagram...see item 1, 3 or 7.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0578

The following users liked this post:
wstcstctygrl@gmail.com (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 11:55 AM
wstcstctygrl@gmail.com
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you!

I took it to a mechanic and he replaced the upper radiator hose (and elbow) with a single hose like you describe, cost me ~$240 including filling my oil as it is perpetually low (oil have a long daily commute so sometimes I go through a quart a week...sometimes a quart a month).