Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Code P3091 after HPFP replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:11 PM
candemresurrection
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code P3091 after HPFP replacement

Hello, I need help because I have no idea what is going on with my car, I bougth the car from an auction in california, I replaced the vacuum pump because the plastic nipple broke, after that I drove the car and went into limp mode, I connected an OBD-2 and read P3091, after checking the forums it was the main concesus that it was the hpfp, therefore i replaced the pump along with the bolts that attach it to the engine's head, car was rough to restart, then ran fine until I took the car outh, and started doing the same sputtering and backfiring, I was able to bring the car home in limp mode, I connected the OBD and the same code P3091, I really do not what to do, the only thing that I thing can it be the regular pump affecting the hpfp, if you have the same problem, please help me.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
P3091 is indeed a low pressure warning. Since you have already replaced the hp fuel pump something before it... As you said it could be the fuel pump, or the fuel feed lines. I suppose, that if it was the pump it would throw some other code, but you never know.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:02 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you replaced your fuel filter too when you had your HPFP done? Normally that's a method done every time. I had the low pressure warning when my HPFP went out though so that's weird.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:53 PM
candemresurrection
1st Gear
Thank You, for your responses, I have the Bentley manual, and the only logical is that the pump in the tank is malfunctioning, by not pumping enough fuel to the hpfp, therefore code p3091 again.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:59 PM
candemresurrection
1st Gear
Furthermore, it took me about 90 minutes to replace the hpfp, it is my opinion that the prices the dealer and most independent shops are excessive, I also replaced the vacuum pump, and it took me roughly the same time.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 PM
dprodigy
Neutral
Hi mate,

I have a similar issue. Engine stalling at cold start, seems like the pressure drops off overnight. Also start getting the yellow half engine light with the 'Engine fault, reduced power' message which eventually goes away as the car warms up and the pressure builds up. Has to be the HPFP as it has a visible leak too and the car has done almost 70000kms which is abt 44K miles.

Can you let me know where you got your HPFP from and any chance you can send me some instructions so I dont have to spend another few hundred bucks for the labor cost as I am in Sydney, Australia and the parts and labor costs here are just off the charts. As an example the HPFP is $1087.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheeers!

Old 05-08-2014, 05:42 AM
candemresurrection
1st Gear
Hello amigo, the best price I found to buy parts is ECS tunning, they are sponsors here, the HPFP cost around 200.00 dollars, they may ship to Australia, regarding the replacement of the pump itself, is fairly easy if you have the tools, remove the negative battery post first, the hardest part was removing the press on line that comes from the fuel tank and is attached to the pump, I did not have the tool for it, so I pulled the pump first, and removed when the pump was not in the car, as far to replace it, you have to remove the air filter housing completely, by removing the cover first, then removing a screw which holds the lower part, the you pull up, carefull when is removed the grommets attached to the intake manifold may come out, I removed the lower part attached to the intake plastic hose that brings cold air to the box, then I removed the pump line that is attached to the fuel tank, just press and release make sure you have a rag to cath the fuel comming from the line, the a removed the steel line that goes from pump to injector, according to bentleys manual you need to replace, after that there is a plastic post holding cables rigth in front of the pump, you need to pull up and remove from metal guide and move it enough so you may a torx attached to an extension, the pump is attached with 3 bolt, which needs to be replaced, I started with the bolt close to the fuel line that I left attached to the pump, I used an torx allen wench to loosen it, the I looses the other 2 bolts, I removed the pump, the pump will come with the line attached, you need another set of hands since you need to press the 2 little tabs to remove the line, put oil around the seal in the pump, you need to hand tight the 3 bolts that hold the pump to the head, also hand tight the steel fuel line, carefull make sure you finger tight slowly so the pump and the steel line are ready to final trquening of 11Nm if motor is N14, 10Nm for N18, the steel high pressure line has 3 stages, 1st to 15Nm, then to 33Nm, you attach the air filter box, warm the engine for 5 minutes, and retorque to 33Nm., check for any leaks, if you have code p3091 you must clear the codes, my problem is that after replacement I am still getting the code which lead me to the main pump in the tank, so I am getting a code not because the my hpfp was bad, but not getting enough pressure from the tank.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 PM
dprodigy
Neutral
Thanks mate! You are a legend...very helpful. I will try looking for a tool set, I guess it will be worth the investment and will then go through your steps. I am attaching som pics along of my fuel pump which seems to be getting worse. :(

Thanks again amigo!

Cheeers

Old 05-11-2014, 06:31 PM
dprodigy
Neutral
Pictures of the weeping Fuel Pump

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Code P3091 after HPFP replacement-20140508_190701.jpg   Code P3091 after HPFP replacement-20140508_190709.jpg  
Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 PM
candemresurrection
1st Gear
Hello amigo, the replacement is not that bad, if you take your time, if you run into trouble, let me know I will email you the pages of the bentley manual which I have, and if you plan to keep your mini like I do, is the best investment.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:56 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Have you replaced your fuel filter too when you had your HPFP done? Normally that's a method done every time. I had the low pressure warning when my HPFP went out though so that's weird.
What code were you getting when you had your replaced. I am going in tomorrow and I believe it is my HPFP. I am getting P0087 fuel pressure too low. And some undiagnosed P10EE code. I had been getting the rough idle on cold start and I am finally getting the yellow half check engine light.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 PM
candemresurrection
1st Gear
I had code p3091, I still have it, waiting for main fuel pump, since when I tested outside the tank it was howling like a cat.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:26 PM
speedypc
Neutral
And now

So did you manage to fix your problem?

Old 02-02-2015, 09:56 PM
speedypc
Neutral
Old 02-02-2015, 09:57 PM
speedypc
Neutral
At least the US market is happy to fix it.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:33 PM
gregoec
Neutral
Did you find the problem?

Originally Posted by candemresurrection
I had code p3091, I still have it, waiting for main fuel pump, since when I tested outside the tank it was howling like a cat.
i have the same problem you had!

HPFP when bad (cold start issue until it die)

just replaced the HPFP and i have no power, car almost stalled cruising and got the P3091 code after replacement of the bad HPFP

i dont know what to do, im thinking about
replacing the main pump inside the fuel tank, but it may just be a defective hpfp