Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

P3012 Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 03:01 PM
MrRowleyBri
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P3012 Code

2008 R56 Base Model

Hey everyone. I'm down to just one code after getting several sorted out. My check engine light is on because of a P3012 code. The definition on the code reader says, "No DTC Definition Found." After some online I found the following definition: P3012 - Adaptation Value too high (Bank 1 Sensor ) .

Has anyone run into this one or have any thoughts on what it could pertain to?

Thanks!

Brian.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:49 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
did you check the timing?

Old 01-17-2020, 01:58 PM
MrRowleyBri
1st Gear
I haven't. I wasn't sure what to try first. I know the timing chain, and all parts included in that service, were somewhat recently replaced. I wonder if they didn't it timed right with the service...

Old 01-17-2020, 02:01 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
It doesn't hurt to check. Also the vanos solenoid sometimes gets dirty and stops working properly. You could also swap the front with the back and see if the code moves. Also, resetting the adaptation could help. ISTAD (software) could do it.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:11 PM
MrRowleyBri
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
It doesn't hurt to check. Also the vanos solenoid sometimes gets dirty and stops working properly. You could also swap the front with the back and see if the code moves. Also, resetting the adaptation could help. ISTAD (software) could do it.
Good tips. That might help me diagnose. Thanks. Also, that’s the second time I’ve heard something about the vanos solenoid. Thanks again!

Old 02-08-2020, 04:34 PM
MrRowleyBri
1st Gear
I finally had some time to check the Vanos Selenoids and they looked really clean. I took them both out and inspected them and I couldn't find any debris on or in them whatsoever. I blew them out and reinstalled them, reset the engine code and it still came back.

I'm curious about your thought of resetting the adaptation. I'm completely unfamiliar with this. It this process something I should have a dealer do, or is possible for an amateur wrench to download the right software and do it himself?

Old 08-07-2022, 11:32 AM
JPerris
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old but did you get this figured out? I have the same issue right now

Old 08-07-2022, 12:37 PM
MrRowleyBri
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JPerris
Old but did you get this figured out? I have the same issue right now
I did in fact get it figured out! But my answer probably won't be too exciting. Every one of my code issues came down to what the car was telling me all along. My DME (ECU) was bad. The previous owner had chased down all kinds of codes and issues, but never got to the heart (or the brain) of the problem. Since the DME was bad it was coming up with all kinds of false codes. My car got to the point where it was completely not drivable.

Thanks to the help from a few guys on this forum, I was able to get a clone DME to work, and now my car drives amazing! It took me about a year to properly diagnose and fix this poor little beast, but now that she's running, and running well I'm thrilled.

I can't say for sure that you're experiencing the same problem, but if anything is pointing to your DME being faulty I'd give it a look.

Brian.

Old 08-07-2022, 01:26 PM
JPerris
Neutral
Originally Posted by MrRowleyBri
I did in fact get it figured out! But my answer probably won't be too exciting. Every one of my code issues came down to what the car was telling me all along. My DME (ECU) was bad. The previous owner had chased down all kinds of codes and issues, but never got to the heart (or the brain) of the problem. Since the DME was bad it was coming up with all kinds of false codes. My car got to the point where it was completely not drivable.

Thanks to the help from a few guys on this forum, I was able to get a clone DME to work, and now my car drives amazing! It took me about a year to properly diagnose and fix this poor little beast, but now that she's running, and running well I'm thrilled.

I can't say for sure that you're experiencing the same problem, but if anything is pointing to your DME being faulty I'd give it a look.

Brian.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your ECU cloned at? How much did it run ya'? I'm deep into this now...lol

Old 08-07-2022, 02:40 PM
MrRowleyBri
1st Gear
I don't mind at all. Two guys from this form helped me. Adrian (adriancl) and Matt Ryan (I can't remember his user name) helped me get this done. Adrian is in Romania and was teaching Matt how to rebuild ECU's. They worked together on mine because Matt had never done anything 08 or newer. When it was all said and done it was less than $500.

You can reach out to Adrian and see if he and Matt are still in the biz of cloning these.

I hope it helps, and let me know if you need anything else.

Oh, I'll ask ya this since we're talking? Have you ever had to replace your wheel sensors? Mine went out and it seems like it will be like $400. I'm wondering if there's a better/ less expensive way.

Brian.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:14 PM
JPerris
Neutral
Originally Posted by MrRowleyBri
I don't mind at all. Two guys from this form helped me. Adrian (adriancl) and Matt Ryan (I can't remember his user name) helped me get this done. Adrian is in Romania and was teaching Matt how to rebuild ECU's. They worked together on mine because Matt had never done anything 08 or newer. When it was all said and done it was less than $500.

You can reach out to Adrian and see if he and Matt are still in the biz of cloning these.

I hope it helps, and let me know if you need anything else.

Oh, I'll ask ya this since we're talking? Have you ever had to replace your wheel sensors? Mine went out and it seems like it will be like $400. I'm wondering if there's a better/ less expensive way.

Brian.
awesome thank you!

Haven't had the pleasure of.replacing those yet but looking online it doesn't sound too difficult but yeah that seems about the price