Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Loud Clunking Shifting Into 1st Gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 04:03 PM
EintrachtAdler
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud Clunking Shifting Into 1st Gear

Hey Guys,

So I've been experiencing a rather disconcerting issue. Whenever I am stopped and shift from neutral into first gear, there is a loud clunk/crunch that I can even feel from it shaking the car. It does not happen all the time, but it is happening more and more often and occurs more after a long drive and the car has been warmed up. I've been having this issue the whole summer and took it to a highly rated independent Mini mechanic and they thought it was the clutch and the throwout bearing and bearing guide. So I had a complete clutch kit put in with a brand new dual mass flywheel and new bearings and all. Unfortunately, the problem still remains.

I found one other thread on here that discusses this problem and the OP has almost the exact same symptoms as I. His thread just got somewhat side tracked and most recommendations were a new clutch/TOB, which I have already done. Here is the link to the thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-sitting.html

His specific descriptions that almost exactly match my symptoms are:
  • "It also makes this rubbing noise like if I'm taking a turn and shifting to 2nd, as I'm lifting off the clutch and giving it gas there's a noise... I guess I can only describe as the disc and flywheel material just rubbing up on each other... at least that's what it sound like to me."
  • "I'm not sure what the deal is but I'm also hearing a very quiet grind while letting off the clutch and giving gas."
  • "Shifting from 1st to 2nd - As I'm letting off the clutch pedal and giving it gas, there is a very quiet light grinding noise."
  • "If i'm in gear on the freeway, there is a bucking that occurs by touching the pedal little maybe a millimeter. Letting off the gas as SLOWLY AS POSSIBLE it with buck/jerk back and forth again. There is no way to make it smooth! You'd think i was slamming the gas pedal on/off but I literally tap it soooo lightly."
    • This is another very prominent, very frustrating symptom.
​​​​​​​Well I hope all that stuff helps you guys get an idea of what is going on. The last thing I think it could be is an engine mount, specifically the lower engine mount because it almost feels like the transmission is having too much play and is twisting when going in to gear and the motor isn't holding it steady. I tried taking pictures of the lower engine mount, but do not have enough mechanical know-how to say whether it's shot. That's pretty much all I can think of replacing.

Thanks guys!! I want my car to be smooth again.
​​​​​​​

Old 07-23-2019, 06:15 PM
EintrachtAdler
1st Gear
Other possible causes I have found from doing research is: play in the drivetrain, like the CV axle/joint? The diverter valve?

Old 07-24-2019, 06:21 PM
EintrachtAdler
1st Gear
Anyone? Help?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Steve16190
Neutral
Wishbone rear control arm bushings

Originally Posted by EintrachtAdler
Anyone? Help?
Hey dude, on my R53 I had clunking when I first got it changing into first and second gear mainly, and coming off the gas/dropping the clutch sometimes. Turned out to be my rear control arm bushings shot to hell. The jolting on gear change was the play in the bushings (which should be rigid and not move at all). The change in drive/brake momentum made it clunk exactly like you’re describing. Stiff as a rock now since replacing them.

check them by kicking your front wheels in direction of the car (forward or back, either direction) there should be no lateral movement at all... I could grab my front wheels with both hands and move them about half an inch just with my strength.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:29 AM
EintrachtAdler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Steve16190
Hey dude, on my R53 I had clunking when I first got it changing into first and second gear mainly, and coming off the gas/dropping the clutch sometimes. Turned out to be my rear control arm bushings shot to hell. The jolting on gear change was the play in the bushings (which should be rigid and not move at all). The change in drive/brake momentum made it clunk exactly like you’re describing. Stiff as a rock now since replacing them.

check them by kicking your front wheels in direction of the car (forward or back, either direction) there should be no lateral movement at all... I could grab my front wheels with both hands and move them about half an inch just with my strength.

Hey thanks! That would make sense and I do hear something on the drivers side when going over bumps. I tried taking a video of me kicking the tires. What do you think? It’s kinda hard to see since the camera shakes as I kick but there definitely is a little movement.