Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Left Turn Signal Light Stuck On

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 AM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left Turn Signal Light Stuck On

I switched the bulb, nothing. I opened the BCM and found a little hazing on the bottom left corner of the panel. I cleaned it and the problem still consists. The rear left turn signal light is stuck on - all the time. Just a solid light.. never blinks.

If it is the BCM (or BCU); can you please guide me to the cheapest fix.

Any replies are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 07-17-2019, 04:06 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
This sounds like a grounding issue.

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 07-17-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:21 PM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
This sounds lime a grounding issue.
A grounding issue the battery? I’m not too knowledgeable about electrical stuff. So any other ideas are well welcomed

Old 07-17-2019, 04:35 PM
ItsmeWayne
If the directionals work on one side and not the other, but just stay on, it is usually the ground on that side (the one that just stays on) Also, it is possible the flasher has failed, so you will need to look into both.
If you get a test light, this will be helpful in figuring it out.
If you can not, try to contact a Mini guy in your area. They may be able to show you how to test for these.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:15 PM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
If the directionals work on one side and not the other, but just stay on, it is usually the ground on that side (the one that just stays on) Also, it is possible the flasher has failed, so you will need to look into both.
If you get a test light, this will be helpful in figuring it out.
If you can not, try to contact a Mini guy in your area. They may be able to show you how to test for these.
The light is stuck on even with the keys out of the ignition. However, thank you for the very useful information. I will call some places and see if they can figure it out

Old 07-17-2019, 06:23 PM
ItsmeWayne
I have dealt with this same thing in the past, but don't remember how I fixed it. If it comes to me, I will post it here. Sorry, brain dead old fart!
I do remember, that I had problems with the harness that goes into the hatch, at the top. the wires were bare from friction and the rear wiper did not work either. I fixed the wires and insulated them, to keep this happening again and it solved a host of problems with the wiring.
Is it just a front light, or front and back?

Old 07-17-2019, 07:11 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Do we know where Ushankaurmom is located? In some countries you can enable one-sided parking lights.

The following users liked this post:
Andy_S (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:44 PM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JAB 67
Do we know where Ushankaurmom is located? In some countries you can enable one-sided parking lights.
I live in Pennsylvania, United States

Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 PM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
I have dealt with this same thing in the past, but don't remember how I fixed it. If it comes to me, I will post it here. Sorry, brain dead old fart!
I do remember, that I had problems with the harness that goes into the hatch, at the top. the wires were bare from friction and the rear wiper did not work either. I fixed the wires and insulated them, to keep this happening again and it solved a host of problems with the wiring.
Is it just a front light, or front and back?
At one point the the whole left side was stuck on.. but only for a couple minutes. Before also, the left light would turn off if you would use the right turn signal. Now it’s just the rear, left turn signal that’s consistently stuck on

Old 07-17-2019, 09:07 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
I will almost guarantee you it is not a grounding issue. 1/10000 chance it is. To debug it you will need electronics skills to trace back to the inside of the BCM. The probable failure can lie in the circuit, and/or the IC inside.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:37 AM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I will almost guarantee you it is not a grounding issue. 1/10000 chance it is. To debug it you will need electronics skills to trace back to the inside of the BCM. The probable failure can lie in the circuit, and/or the IC inside.
Can you explain more of the probable failure, please

Thanks again everyone for using your time trying to fix the problem!

Old 07-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
all the lights (except rally/driving lights) are controlled by the computer ... buttons and switches just send requests to the computer which then turns things on and off

sometimes the computer gets confused

what do you do to your laptop or you phone when it gets confused? Most will turn it off and restart .....

A MINI is not OFF when you turn it off ... a bunch of systems are still on

One way to 'reboot' the car is to disconnect the battery overnight ....

I suspect you do have a ground issue someplace but this should give the computer(s) a clean restart

IMO worth a shot . . .

Old 07-18-2019, 02:41 PM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
all the lights (except rally/driving lights) are controlled by the computer ... buttons and switches just send requests to the computer which then turns things on and off

sometimes the computer gets confused

what do you do to your laptop or you phone when it gets confused? Most will turn it off and restart .....

A MINI is not OFF when you turn it off ... a bunch of systems are still on

One way to 'reboot' the car is to disconnect the battery overnight ....

I suspect you do have a ground issue someplace but this should give the computer(s) a clean restart

IMO worth a shot . . .
You know, know that your saying this.. I first noticed this problem after I plugged in my ecu tune. I just got it, so you have to plug it in and download your cars ecu to send to the tuner. Later that same day, I notirthe issue with the rear turn signal. I just thought it was a coincidence. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I will try the battery thing tonight and I will post an update tomorrow.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I first noticed this problem after I plugged in my ecu tune.

ever heard that thing about telling the doctor EVERYTHING!!!!!!

like I said, the computer controls ALL the lights .... if the 'tune' confused the main computer .....

"Hello HAL ......."

The following users liked this post:
Andy_S (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 03:21 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by ushankaurmom
Can you explain more of the probable failure, please

Thanks again everyone for using your time trying to fix the problem!
This is one of many threads that might help you, assuming you are up to the task of identify the fault. I am not representing you problem will be identical to these, but likely your problem lies in the BCM, especially if you have sunroof. Forget thinking the computer get confused or needing reboot. And it is not a ground fault.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:27 PM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
I first noticed this problem after I plugged in my ecu tune.

ever heard that thing about telling the doctor EVERYTHING!!!!!!

like I said, the computer controls ALL the lights .... if the 'tune' confused the main computer .....

"Hello HAL ......."
I just talked to the tuning company. Supposedly, the tune did not interfere with the blinkers

Old 07-18-2019, 03:32 PM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
This is one of many threads that might help you, assuming you are up to the task of identify the fault. I am not representing you problem will be identical to these, but likely your problem lies in the BCM, especially if you have sunroof. Forget thinking the computer get confused or needing reboot. And it is not a ground fault.
I did have a sunroof leak almost a year ago. I fixed the leak and no problems showed after that. My BCM did have any visual damage when I checked it (looked brand new).

I’ll leave the battery disconnected overnight. That shouldn’t harm anything, right?

Old 07-18-2019, 03:37 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by ushankaurmom
I did have a sunroof leak almost a year ago. I fixed the leak and no problems showed after that. My BCM did have any visual damage when I checked it (looked brand new).

I’ll leave the battery disconnected overnight. That shouldn’t harm anything, right?
Leaving battery disconnected overnight is wishful thinking like me buying a lottery ticket, but won't hurt anything.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:03 PM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
Leaving battery disconnected overnight is wishful thinking like me buying a lottery ticket, but won't hurt anything.
A very, very lucky lottery ticket

Old 07-19-2019, 02:47 PM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
Update: Blinker still stuck on :(

I am assuming that I should just go on the path that the BCM is the victim. So, how should I go from there? Should I just my local BMW shop?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:52 PM
pnwR53S
I never believe in lottery ticket so I never wasted one $1. $1 saved is $1 earned and I am old school when it comes to finance.

BMW or MINI shop may fix your problem for the minimum cost of a new BCM, and it may not even be the BCM but they bound to be very good in making you pay for whatever parts they wrongly swapped out. Alas, I have no good advise. If you are my neighbor or local friend I would fix it for you free.

May be someone skillful near you can help.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:07 PM
ushankaurmom
1st Gear
I never believe in lottery ticket so I never wasted one $1. $1 saved is $1 earned and I am old school when it comes to finance.

BMW or MINI shop may fix your problem for the minimum cost of a new BCM, and it may not even be the BCM but they bound to be very good in making you pay for whatever parts they wrongly swapped out. Alas, I have no good advise. If you are my neighbor or local friend I would fix it for you free.

May be someone skillful near you can help.
I’d love to fix it myself; however I’ve run out of ideas. Id hate to spend an arm and a leg on a non-blinking blinker though. I really wish you were local lol

Old 07-19-2019, 06:42 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Try cleaning all the sockets & changing all the bulbs in that light unit.
It's possible to create an alternative or fake ground via a filament in one bulb if another bulb is defective.

The exact year & model would help, but the early cars had the one-side parking light option activated. Check your manual, but I think the sequence is
Stop the car - turn ignition off - turn right directional on - turn headlights off - should leave the right-side front & rear parking lights on.