Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Pistons cleaning

Old 06-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Ronald Wright
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pistons cleaning

Can i use seafoam to clean these up or is there a better method

Cleanest but having a ignition coil problem at the moment

Old 06-16-2019, 09:57 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
While I've never viewed the pistons in my various engines for in situ cleaning my advice would be for a gas engine to run Techron. Buy a bottle and use it according to directions. However I "cheat" a bit. For instance with my other cars the fuel tanks were just under 17 gallons capacity. The bottle directions said the bottle treated 20 gallons. I just dumped the entire bottle of Techron in the fuel tank then filled up the fuel tank.

With those pistons I'd do the treatment twice. When the first tank of fuel with Techron gets down to say 1/4 tank add a 2nd bottle then fill up the fuel tank.

After the 2nd tank is down low enough to warrant filling the tank consider changing the oil/filter. Techron can increase the oil contamination. It has a vapor and liquid deposition phase which can result in some liquid Techron ending up on the oil. Of course, countless car owners run Chevron gasoline with Techron and don't bother to change the oil after very tank of gasoline has been consumed but when you use the stuff in a bottle it is reportedly more concentrated.

I have seen a couple of engines torn down. One showed signs of considerable piston deposits. The car was used for short trips -- it was an SF car which means a couple of mile to the office in the AM, a mile or two at lunch, then a couple of miles back home at the end of the day.

In another case I came up a head off an engine -- the car was in for what proved to be a broken valve spring. At first glance I thought the tech had cleaned the combustion chambers but he said no the car was used for the owner's work commute but this consisted of an approx. 25 mile highway drive to the office in the AM then again in the PM and this usage contributed to the clean looking chambers.

Thus just driving the car with Techron should have the pistons and the rest of the engine surfaces that have developed any deposits looking much better.

In one case I switched from Shell to Chevron and in less than a tanks' worth of driving my Boxster engine was running better. Kind of surprising because my work commute is 30 miles mostly freeway. But it just highlights how effective Techron is in removing engine deposits.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:43 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Your #1 piston looks significantly different, like it's getting coolant to burn with gas. Have you done a compression / leak down test? Might be more than a coil problem.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:42 PM
Ronald Wright
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rockc ill look in to the techron for the cleaning
Oldbrokenwind no i haven't done any other test on it yet but i guess it wouldn't hurt to do a compression test
Side note, i just bought that scope and was curious on what valves and pistons looked like and im glad I looked and posted, i did find it odd that cylinder 1 was so clean and when i think of it, when i push it a little hard i would see smoke in my rearview every once in a while, here come a new head gasket and piston rings seals smh haven't checked the valves yet
Thanks for the insight

Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 AM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Yeah, you have more issues to follow up on.......should not have that kind of deposits

Old 06-29-2019, 03:36 PM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
You seem to have other issues there. The generations old method to get rid of deposits was water injection. But with #1 being so clean in comparison to the others, you need to diagnose why.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:40 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Never used Sea Foam, but I started using Lucas Fuel injector many years ago on my motorcycles. With the design on todays high power bike engines, you can actually look into the ports, see 95% of the valves back side.
After 100,000 miles, the ports and valves in my Yamaha, R1 are 90% clean. I borrowed a "visual" only bore scope, the piston tops are as clean as the ports. I've used it after every oil change on my last five bikes. I add up miles very fast..!

I use it every oil change for four tank fulls of gas in my various bikes.
Now that I have my 05, JCW, it get a dose of the cleaner every three tank fulls of gas.

If you can get Red Line cleaner, it works better, but the Lucas works very nicely.

Mike

Mike