Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Using Lots of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:48 PM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Using Lots of Oil

I got this mini non-running. Vacuum Pump ceased up and took out some valves. My son and I did the head rebuild. He is a trained mechanic and I'm shade tree. While the head was off, I looked over the cylinder walls and they looked good. I pulled the pan and cleaned everything out. I also changed the oil filter housing and cooler gaskets while the head was off.

So I have about 1000 miles or less on it and I've used 2 1/2 quarts of oil! Today did a 200 mile cruise and used a quart! My son says I have a small seep from the front main (yes I changed it) and some seepage from the rear main. I did have a very bad leaking valve cover but I changed that and stopped the top lead.

I can still smell burning oil from above the engine but I NEVER see any oil on the driveway. During the cruise today, my friends wife was following me and said a few times it smoked pretty good but she couldn't tell from where. At one point we were doing about 90 and a black truck was on my tail. I could see some black smoke coming up between us when I really got on it.

I am going to make an appointment to get it looked at but what are some of the things that could cause this excessive oil consumption.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:27 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Compression / leak-down check? Hopefully you replaced the valve stem seals, they're a good source for oil leaks. Bad PCV can cause crankcase positive pressure, forcing oil thru turbo seals and into the turbo compressed air output. Your oil burning quantities will cause oil to collect in the FMIC if it's going thru the turbo.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:34 PM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Good questions. We did not do a compression or leakdown check once we found bad valves. I did install new valve seals and my son said the valve guides were good.
I have blocked off the back PCV port on the valve cover and installed an OCC on the turbo side.

I should probably look at the FMIC.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:03 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jjcsnlynn
Good questions. We did not do a compression or leakdown check once we found bad valves. I did install new valve seals and my son said the valve guides were good.
I have blocked off the back PCV port on the valve cover and installed an OCC on the turbo side.

I should probably look at the FMIC.
Blocking the rear PCV port will cause positive crankcase pressure. I strongly suggest an OCC there.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:32 PM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Wait. I thought the rear was only used during idle and the side during above idle.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:43 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Wait. I thought the rear was only used during idle and the side during above idle.
Rear PCV port is active when manifold pressure is at or near zero --- vacuum. PCV activity switches to the side port during boost, which is the least often during normal daily driving conditions. You'll find the OCC needs to be drained a lot more often when connected to the rear port. Dual OCC's are common on the N14.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:50 PM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Thanks. I am leaving for Minis at the Glen in two weeks. If I can’t get an OCC on by then should I reinstall the tube to the i take?

Old 06-02-2019, 11:03 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Thanks. I am leaving for Minis at the Glen in two weeks. If I can’t get an OCC on by then should I reinstall the tube to the i take?
Definitely, maybe even sooner, while waiting for an OCC, to see if it affects the oil consumption. Consider a dual OCC, to save space?

Or re-configure your existing setup and put the side port back to OEM? The side port normally discharges very little.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:01 PM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
I reinstalled the tube from the valve cover to the intake. I also checked the FMIC...no oil.
I will drive it and see if anything changes.