Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

07 Cooper S BAD!! idle cold Stumpted!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 03:51 AM
tony2fingers
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disregard, duplicate post...

Hi All,

I finally gave in and i'm asking for help from anyone who has more experience with these n14 motors. I attached a video of my test drive. The audio is terrible but you can turn it up a bit and watch the needle to sort of figure out whats going on. Its much worse in person when your driving and in the car.

The video is pretty large so i'll try to describe it in words here in case i cant get my video to load or if you just don't want to watch a 2 minute video of a surging engine.

What its doing is basically bucking like a horse whenever i get to a stop sign. Sometimes it will surge up and down so bad that the engine shuts off. It also surges and idles roughly when its in park but i just took it on a drive so i could document it really bad on video. The weird thing is that it only does this when the engine is cold. eventually after it warms up, after about 60-70 degrees it stops and i can drive the car like normal but even then, i still notice a very delayed and abnormal throttle response. im not getting any codes except the occasional misfire # 1-4 but that's obvious since the engine shut down. this car is an automatic.

Im going to give you a little bit of background of myself so you have an idea who is working on the car and why i have stumped on the title.
Im pretty decent at wrenching, and i have bought and sold about 8 of these cooper s recently. All have had engine issues like timing chains and running without oil or something. Ive pulled the engine on some, did the timing chain on others, so im pretty fluent under the hood of an r56. i have a standard Launch Creader v7+ scan tool i use to pull codes. i have a "fleet" of know good parts pulled of running identical cars to trouble shoot with. This is the first posting i made on this forum but i've been a regular viewer to help me figure out stuff when im wrenching. i will keep this post updated with any help i get as to help any future r56 owners fix their problems.

A little history on this r56 im having the surging issue with. I bought it with 80k miles with a known timing chain problem. got it back to the garage and diagnosed the bad chain, a couple of bad coils, and two bad injectors. Pulled the head and had it machined with new vales and seals, got a new set of factory coils, and a used set of injectors, all 4 plus the rail and sensor off a known good car with 50k miles. put it all back with new bolts, gasket, ect. when i started it up the first time, i got a engine ventilation code. i guess someone took the relay out when the car was sitting so i put in a new relay and that code disappeared. then had the surging issue so i assumed it was the bad thermostat since it went away when warm so i replaced with a new thermostat. also noticed i had the heater hoses backwards then so that was corrected but still surges. so i go on this forum and the obvious answer was the HPFP. So changed that out with not one but two other known good running HPFP and still surges. Here are the other things ive swapped out with this car. one at a time, each time waiting for the car to cool down each time so i could replicate the results. Ive been tinkering with this car for about two weeks now. its the only car out of 7-8 i have that i cant figure out so some combined brain power of this forum might possibly help my slay this demon. Also of note is that this is the only automatic car i have, maybe that might have some effect on the issue.
These parts ive pulled off my other known good running 2007 cooper s 6 speed and swapped it with this automatic cooper s and none have fixed this surging idle problem.
HPFP (twice), intake manifold with throttle body, injectors with rails and sensor, both vacuum solenoids located under the manifold, maf, both sensors downstream of the inter cooler, all coils, plugs, valve cover, pvc line from cover to manifold, vacuum pump, i also changed the oil with synthetic 5-40 or whatever mini recommends for summer, changed the fuel filter, and triple check the engine timing with plug in the flywheel and factory timing clamps on the intake and exhaust cams.
my last thing i could think would be a major vacuum leak could cause this but ive checked the obvious so if anyone has an opinion please chime in. thanks

the file is too large to upload to this forums attachment link so here is a direct link to the video.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsQW-7BjNyX7h2suvCd7DRSIs8DV

Last edited by tony2fingers; 05-19-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: duplicate post, disregard
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
This is a vacuum leak.

check the pcv pipe being connected properly. Also, some people had a "hidden" crack in it.

also a stupid suggestion is to check the oil dip stick and the cap.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:04 PM
ansan12001
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please update, did you figure this out?