Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Hood Latch issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Slowens1409
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Latch issues

I had no idea that there was an issue with hood latches getting stuck until I fell victim.

Here's what's happened. The release latch on the inside snapped...stupid plastic. Pulling on the wires on the inside I still get no release, as well as someone taking weight off the hood and still no pop. I cleaned the springs and fresh grease on them from under the car, the best I could and still no release. I removed the wheel liner on both sides and have panels of metal in my way and can't get around to try and pop them from there. I have removed the springs to try and manually push the levers up, but haven't had any success with lifting them high enough to let the hood go. On the drivers side, it's a little more difficult because of all the stuff in the way and limited room to work. I feel like I'm running out of options at this point and wanted to see if anyone knows some secret mini trick to getting the hood open when the latches are stuck. I feel as if a pry bar to the hood is the last option but I'm also speaking out of frustration at this point. Anyone else ran into this before? I don't live close enough to take it to the dealer to get it popped (I need to get in the hood to fix some mechanical issues that prevent me from driving).

Old 12-19-2018, 05:10 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Did you see if the cable is out of the latch? Try to align it back in the "clip" and use a plier to pull the cable. Slow and steady

Old 12-19-2018, 05:27 PM
ClubmanG
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second MiniToBe's suggestion.
This happened to me on my 08 S Clubman, same as what you are describing.
Have you taken off the interior panel where the hood release is?
When I did, the cable was popped out of the clip. I pulled on the cable with pliers and it still would not open.
It was not until I put the cable back in the clip and zip tied it to prevent it from popping out, when pulling the cable, that I was able to pop the hood.
Immediately after that I sprayed white lithium grease on the latch hooks on both sides of the car and pulled the cable multiple times to work it in.
Once I felt that everything was lubed well, I closed the hood and was able to open it right away.
Zip ties sill in place now, going to create my own cable bracket to replace the badly designed OEM one soon.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:10 PM
Slowens1409
Neutral
Sorry for the late reply, it's been extremely hectic around the holidays this year...anywho...

Long story short the cable on the inside has been hanging and I've been having to use pliers to open the hood. I broke off the latch a while back. But I was able to wiggle free the passenger side and got that to pop open. The driver side, however, will not budge at all. I've even taken a crowbar to it and gently tried to open it. I tried to clean the hinge off with brake clean thinking that something might be "gunking" up the hatch from moving, but still no movement. Any other suggestions on how to clean it or ways to possibly get movement out of the drivers side? I'm slowly running out of ideas.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:15 AM
ClubmanG
1st Gear
Try having someone push down on the drivers side of the bonnet while you try to pull the cable to open it.
I have heard of that working for some people.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:23 AM
Slowens1409
Neutral
Yeah I've tried that as well with no success. From what I can tell it's the actual hinge itself that's stuck in the closed position. The cable won't budge any.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:27 PM
ClubmanG
1st Gear
Bummer.
Found this info, from https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hood-help.html
There is a simple fix to get the bonnet open if the problem is not at the driver footwell: Use a long pry bar and press up on the latches from underneath the car. The right side latch is clearly visible and can be used for practice. The left side latch is a little more challenging but can be reached with a long pry bar. You want to press up on the part of the latch that is connected to the cable. It is slightly thinner metal. Find a spot with good purchase and hit the pry bar smartly with palm of your hand. You should be rewarded with a click/spring sound and the thicker part of the latch will have rotated.

When you do end up getting it open, make sure you lube up the latches immediately and work it in before closing it again.
I can't recommend this stuff enough. http://blastercorp.com/White-Lithium-Grease
I used it when I had my issue and the hood opens smooth like butter now.

Last edited by ClubmanG; 01-08-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Slowens1409
Neutral
Awesome I'll give that a go tomorrow. Didn't realize there was a thinner metal piece on the latch. Thanks! I'll have to check out the grease as well. I tried some previously and it was mediocre.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:08 PM
ClubmanG
1st Gear
Crossing my fingers, for you.