Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

No start

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:13 PM
cheetoman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start

I have a 2007 cooper, 100k+ miles. i bought used for $2,000. car has been great.

recently, I started it up to warm the interior (it's cold here in ny) but had to turn it off to open the hatch (release on the hatch not working). when i went to restart the car it would not turn over. everything else appears to function as it should, lights, windows, radio, chimes, and steering column unlocks. fob will also lock and unlock doors.

i don't think it's the battery - i brought in to auto store and it checked out as a good battery. after trying again, with no luck, i removed the battery and charged it - nothing, the i jumped it - still nothing.

what about the extra fob? as for that, when i bought the car it had only 1 fob. 3 months later the guy i bought it from found the spare and gave it to me. i never used it - until now. it will unlock the doors but when i put it in the starting receiver nothing at all happens - no lights, radio etc. so 1 fob seems to work (except for the not starting part) the other doesn't.

i should also note that i have 2 error lights (is that what they're called?) on the dash. 1 shows a light with horizontal lines coming away from it with an exclamation point in the light (headlamp?) the other is the same but with the lines slanting down (parking light?) those have been on since i got the car. i recently noticed that 1 parking light and 1 side marker light (on the front fender) were out. 1 was a lose plug (the parking light which i wiggled. that seemed to have worked as it's lighting) the other (the side marker) had a burnt bulb which i replaced. it too is working. the error lights have not gone away. not sure if i need to clear them or if there is some issue.

after all that my problem is the car won't start. as i said i don't think it's the battery. other thoughts - the starter but would it fail that quickly? i will say thatthe car never seemed to start right up. it kind of slowly rolled over then started. maybe the clutch sensor - but a guy from pelican parts told me it is unlikely though possible. next, is there a break sensor? is there one on a manual such that the break pedal must be depressed to start? (it didn't seem to require that before but maybe it was broken all along) how about fob? or the CAS? however, if fob or CAS were bad would the steering column unlock? i can try to pop the clutch but i live on a hill and am afraid once it goes down the hill i might never get it back to the garage. i also don't want to break the bank fixing it as i spent so little on it. but i don't want to give up on it!

any advice or thoughts? thanks!

Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
so you're saying it would not even crank? if so, it could be your starter. also, check ground strap on the engine mount. check relays next to the ecu under the hood. check the fuses in the fuse box behind the passenger kick panel. lastly, did you try to pop the clutch?

post pix of the errors you're getting? also, get the car scanned for faults. finally, take the valve cover off and check the chain, just in case.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:46 PM
cheetoman
1st Gear
no crank. checked fuses, they were OK, not sure how to check relays. don't have enough room to push the car to try and pop the clutch. as i said i'm on a hill and don't think i can get it back up if i roll it down to the street, pics of warning lights attached.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:51 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I got you...yeah, these are the head lights and foglights. I wonder if the windows roll up and down?

I some cases, the fuse box gets water in it and causes it to malfunction. I wonder if you can test the starter. can you also try to spin the crank by hand (18mm socket clockwise)?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:29 AM
cheetoman
1st Gear
i have power to starter both from battery and from ignition. rolled the car down the driveway popped the clutch and away i drove. i'm assuming it's the starter. any thoughts?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:38 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Starter without a doubt lol

Old 12-16-2018, 06:28 AM
cheetoman
1st Gear
pulled the starter yesterday, tested it and guess what? it doesn't work! thanks for your help

Old 12-16-2018, 06:29 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Great...Anytime brother.