R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New JCW, good start, bad start.... An update.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New JCW, good start, bad start.... An update.

I'm not sure how much I got into this before but here's what happened with my '08 MCS last few weeks.

A month or so ago, I took the car to the track and trashed the brakes. The mini dealer replaced the pads and rotors (JCW add-on) for free.

I got the car back that night and realized the next morning I had a 8-9" crack coming down off the top of the windshield. No stone chips, nothing... it was wierd.

I called the dealership and they said they would replace the windshield under warranty.

The catch was that I had to leave it at the dealership. Owning two bodyshops, I could have had the windshield changed out in less than 30 minutes.

They kept my car for 4 days and when I picked it up, there was a scratch on the fender down to the metal, the rubber base of the mirror was gouged and the moulding at the top of the fender was scratched.

Make a long story short, a week later, I painted the fender and they replaced the parts they damaged.

When I picked the car up from them replacing the mirror, I noticed a dent about 4" away from the mirror.

Point is, I'm not real thrilled with the dealer's handling of my car. They obviously fixed it but I would rather take care of the damage myself.

So, what does this have to do with my new JCW I picked up Thursday?

Well, I picked it up Thursday, parked it until Sunday since I had to go out of town.

Yesterday (Monday) I noticed 4 dents on the roof. ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME????

Needless to say, I ain't talking my brand new JCW back to the dealer to have them fix the dents on my roof.

Here's some pics.

Anyway, got the dents fixed without putting paint on the roof. Not a good start with my new car.

On to the good stuff.

I picked up the car Thursday and had the windows tinted 20% on Friday. Also installed my DDM CAI. Made a HUGE difference.

Prepped and painted the JCW aero kit today. Will install tomorrow. While I'm doing that, I'll install my Minidomore hitch.

Thanks to dtsoccer, I ordered a set of NM Engineering springs Friday. I received them today and installed them. They're GREAT. They lower the car EXACTLY where I wanted them and they ride softer than my JCW springs on my '08.

Here's some pics.... sorry, got the grille moulding off and headlight trim rings.

My OZ Ultralegger black wheels came in today. (17x7) and I'll mount them tomorrow after I get an alignment.

Last but not least, I ordered a Helix upgraded intercooler but that'll be a while.

Other than that, things are going well.

Just thought ya'll would want an update.

Mark

Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 PM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trials and tribulations, finally get to see some pictures. Keep the roof away from squirrels, they drop walnuts.

Btw, I like those wheels.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Trials and tribulations, finally get to see some pictures. Keep the roof away from squirrels, they drop walnuts.

Btw, I like those wheels.
Make ya a killer deal on them?

I can only assume the dents were there when I picked the car up because I picked it up and took it my shop. It either stayed in a storage tent (those portable tents) or in my garage at home the entire weekend.

Regardless, it's fixed now, I just hate I had to tear the interior half apart to get to the dents.

Mark

Hey Don, received two of my wheels today, the others are scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 PM
old81
M6
Yes, dents are not any fun. I had some PDR done to my bonnet when some doufus dropped a beer can on it from a balcony on a race weekend.

PDR did the trick but I still have to work the paint issue.

Good on the 2 out of 4, these wheels getting the RE11's?

More pictures after the JCW body kit is on the MINI.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Yes, dents are not any fun. I had some PDR done to my bonnet when some doufus dropped a beer can on it from a balcony on a race weekend.

PDR did the trick but I still have to work the paint issue.

Good on the 2 out of 4, these wheels getting the RE11's?

More pictures after the JCW body kit is on the MINI.
RE11's were my choice but I was time limited and though Tire Rack had them in stock, it would have cost me too much to get them here so I could have them set for the track.

I'm working a deal with another member for a set of track tires. I'm also trying to work a deal with a member for a set of featherlites for the track.

In the meantime, I'll run the stock runflats on the OZ's.

Mark

Old 04-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush

Is that a dent I see in the middle of the passenger door?

Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You mentioned a scratch in the fender, but have any other panels been repainted? In the last two pictures, it really looks like the paint on the passenger door and the paint on the passenger quarter panel don't match. It also looks like the door might be sitting a smidgen low relative to the quarter panel.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 AM
justaguyinvegas
3rd Gear
Those rims are sweet!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Is that a dent I see in the middle of the passenger door?

Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
You mentioned a scratch in the fender, but have any other panels been repainted? In the last two pictures, it really looks like the paint on the passenger door and the paint on the passenger quarter panel don't match. It also looks like the door might be sitting a smidgen low relative to the quarter panel.
HAHA.... so you figured out I'm **** compulsive about paint...LOL. Funny guys, FUNNY!!!

BTW, the scratch was in the laser blue '08. Don't make me trade this in because it has a scratch

Originally Posted by justaguyinvegas
Those rims are sweet!
Yes, they are.... but, I want lighter rims and black. I can paint/powdercoat the rims but I can't remove weight unfortunately. (hell, I can't remove weight off my fat azz, let alone a wheel.... )

Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
Whenever I take my cars to a dealership to get fixed, they ALWAYS come back damaged in some way. A ding, a scratch, a scuff... sorry to hear about your experiences. To the dealership-- it is just a car.

To you-- it is YOUR car. Nobody will care about your car the way you do.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
HAHA.... so you figured out I'm **** compulsive about paint...LOL. Funny guys, FUNNY!!!
As a fellow "paint ****", I would never try to spool you up just for fun.

I was serious about the paint colour & door alignment, although both issues might just be from the photograph.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:18 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Carlisle
Whenever I take my cars to a dealership to get fixed, they ALWAYS come back damaged in some way. A ding, a scratch, a scuff... sorry to hear about your experiences. To the dealership-- it is just a car.

To you-- it is YOUR car. Nobody will care about your car the way you do.
I don't want to sound like I'm OC but I've been in the bodyshop/paint business for 25 years. I take EXTREME care to treat each customer's car like it was my own.

I would think that a dealership such as a mini dealership who knows their customers are not cut from the same cloth as a guy driving a cavalier would take EXTRA care to protect their car.

I just feel they would take extra precaution. And for them to scratch my fender and THEN dent the door on the second visit to replace the gouged mirror, you'd think they already have a pissed off customer.... blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, all is well now so hopefully they'll be no more issues.

Mark

Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
MINI FTL

Im jealous your happy, well mostly about your mini
I need to come check it out!

I find myself daydreaming about other cars while driving mine.... maybe I should go subie, or nissan, or honda. who knows

Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Carlisle
4th Gear
I don't want to sound like I'm OC but I've been in the bodyshop/paint business for 25 years. I take EXTREME care to treat each customer's car like it was my own.

I would think that a dealership such as a mini dealership who knows their customers are not cut from the same cloth as a guy driving a cavalier would take EXTRA care to protect their car.

I just feel they would take extra precaution. ...
I'd NEVER think that you were OC! I think it is prudent to take extreme care of a vehicle, because in most cases-- a car is not an investment-- you don't ever really (with a few exceptions) MAKE money after buying a car. It makes total sense to take really good care of the car so that you can get TOP DOLLAR when you sell it.

My policy has always been-- if I damage my own car, or do something to it-- I can prob live with that. You drive-- you get a stone chip, you set something on the bonnet, you get a scratch. It happens. We drive our cars.... stuff happens.

But yah-- when you take your car in to get it fixed-- and stuff like that happens-- HOLY CRAP. Totally not cool.

Your car is gorgeous btw.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang man...I need to come over there. You are having way too much fun!

:D

Hope this works out well....did you keep the blue beast?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 AM
BostonJohn
3rd Gear

Call me crazy, but seeing your JCW with the chrome removed from around the grill and headlights has caught my eye. It would look really sweet if you could body match those chrome parts..... everyone's blacking them out... not sure i've seen any body matched though.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
Matching the chrome bits to the body colour would be a great look. I have mixed feelings about chrome-- I find myself indifferent to it most of the time.

I have never understood this anti-chrome movement though. So many ppl hatin on the chrome.

I wish Canada didn't bundle the chrome line interior and exterior together. I wanted it on the inside but not on the outside. Am not too concerned though... not enough to paint it!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:46 PM
BostonJohn
3rd Gear
The chrome doesn't bother me... I just think it would look a bit sleeker if the chromed parts were body colored.

The other thing is differentiation/uniqueness.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:59 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BostonJohn
The chrome doesn't bother me... I just think it would look a bit sleeker if the chromed parts were body colored.

The other thing is differentiation/uniqueness.
Patience...patience...

Mark